To computer Guru's have some software questions - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-30-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

To computer Guru's have some software questions

from a computer illiterate:

I just bought a new computer that has Vista operating system.

1. I keep getting automatic upgrades/downloads from windows, the last one alsmost one gig. Do the upgrades automatically erase what it is upgrading or is this thing taking up more and more space on my computer?

2. I am entitled (according to the ads) to a free upgrade of windows new operating system when it comes out. Will it download automatically like the other windows upgrades ?

3. Will the new system erase the old windows system or will I have two operating systems in the computer?

4. Will uninstall get rid of the Norton antivirus program completely? Or will it hang around hidden somewhere? If so what do I need to do to get rid of it completely?

I tried to ask the sales person these questions but they were so busy on a personal phone call on their bluetooth that beleive it or ot had to ask for the manager in order to get someone to sell me the system...(this was at best buy)

Don't know if this is relevant but the computer is IBM compat, 6 gigs of Ram 640 gig hard drive..........

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Gone Ridin'

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to twidget Send a message via MSN to twidget Send a message via Yahoo to twidget
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL1000s View Post
from a computer illiterate:

1. I keep getting automatic upgrades/downloads from windows, the last one alsmost one gig. Do the upgrades automatically erase what it is upgrading or is this thing taking up more and more space on my computer?

Some of it hangs around. If the patches are uninstallable (some are) then a LOT of it hangs around.

2. I am entitled (according to the ads) to a free upgrade of windows new operating system when it comes out. Will it download automatically like the other windows upgrades ?

Uh, nope, you'll have to do that. You do want Windows 7 when it is available, way better performance than Vista (which is a pig).

3. Will the new system erase the old windows system or will I have two operating systems in the computer?

It will upgrade/replace it.

4. Will uninstall get rid of the Norton antivirus program completely? Or will it hang around hidden somewhere? If so what do I need to do to get rid of it completely?

You should be able to just uninstall it. It is pretty invasive (like most antivirus stuff) and will help slow your machine down for you. Best one IMHO is Avast (and free for home use).
Replies, inline above.

: Twidget
post #3 of 6 Old 09-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Another free AV that I prefer is Avira

You can read about it and download it here:
http://download.cnet.com/Avira-AntiV...-10322935.html
post #4 of 6 Old 09-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Norton - you have to go to their web site and download their uninstall program...

post #5 of 6 Old 09-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by twidget View Post
Replies, inline above.
+1 to all of that. Remember that the one you upgrade to, must be the same bit version as the one that you currently have. Example, if you have windows vista 32 bit, you must upgrade to windows 7 32 bit as well. If you try to go to 64 bit, it becomes a clean-sheet install in which everything is wiped out. You should be able to find this out in the tab that opens when you first start your computer....it gives you all your computer specs.

Honestly, I never had a problem with Vista. It is/was a resourse hog, but if you've got the computer to run it, it runs fine. Mine rarely give me any trouble....no more than XP used to give me.

As long as the upgrade is free though, might as well get windows 7.

---------------------------------------------------
If it aint broken, it doesn't have enough features yet
---------------------------------------------------
There are 'glass half empty' people, and 'glass half full' people. Then there are engineers who see that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-01-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks to those who took the time to answer.....

I appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in