Colin McRae Killed in Helo Crash - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 09-15-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Location: Used to be Candler, NC/ Then HELL in Del Rio, Tx/ Now Blaine, WA
Posting Frequency

Colin McRae Killed in Helo Crash

Not sure if many of you guys follow WRC racing but he was pretty badass driver, sad to lose a champ

Rally ace Colin McRae dies in helicopter crash
GARETH ROSE AND JEREMY WATSON

SCOTTISH rally champion Colin McRae has been killed in a helicopter crash close to his Lanarkshire home.

The Twin Squirrel helicopter registered to the former world champion rally driver came down shortly after 4pm yesterday about 200 yards from his 17th-century mansion.

Police sources said the blue helicopter used by the 39-year-old multi-millionaire had exploded in a "fireball".

Eyewitness David Lowry, who lives nearby, said he watched as the helicopter plunged into a valley.

As many as four people are thought to have died in the crash. Jean-Eric Freudiger, McRae's agent, confirmed McRae had been piloting the helicopter.

Locals said they feared McRae had been travelling with another adult and two children. A Strathclyde Police spokeswoman confirmed there were no survivors. Officers were trying to establish who was on board and where the helicopter was travelling to and from.

"The damage has been so bad that we don't know how many people were on board. It might be one, it might be more," she said. "We just don't know at the moment."

She added that it could be some time before official identifications can be made.

Weather conditions at the time were deteriorating with strengthening winds and light rain. Members of the Department of Transport's Air Accidents Investigation Branch were travelling to the scene at Jerviswood, one mile north of Lanark last night.

The Scottish Ambulance Service confirmed that its own helicopter had been sent to the scene along with three ambulance crews. Strathclyde Fire Brigade also had units in attendance.

David Lowry, 48, who owns New Steadings Farm, just across the Mouse Water from McRae's home, saw the helicopter crash.

He said: "I was speaking to one of my friends on the farm. The helicopter came overhead and then dropped into the valley. After it disappeared I saw smoke rising from the trees and phoned the emergency services. I could not see what happened when it went down. It did not seem to be in any trouble. It was about half a mile from me and the helicopter seemed to be flying normally.

"It was navy blue in colour and I am led to believe it belongs to Colin McRae. It is up so often my cattle don't even flinch when it is overhead."

He added: "I know him well enough to say hello to, although I don't know him personally. If it turns out to be him it will have an unbelievable effect on the local community."

He added: "Colin is a very popular person around here. We only moved here seven years ago, but they are a Lanark family born and bred."

As darkness fell last night, police had erected an incident tent in the woods at the scene of the crash. Officers threw a 600-yard cordon around the house. Friends and relatives of the McRae family were gathering at the home of a neighbour, 300 yards from the McRae home.

McRae, born in Lanark in 1968, was the son of five-time British Rally Champion, Jimmy McRae. He was the first Briton to be named world champion when he won the event in the mid-1990s and was awarded an MBE by the Queen for his outstanding achievements.

He also produced popular and lucrative rally computer games, including Colin McRae Dirt.

McRae bought a home in Monaco in 1995, partly through his friendship with fellow Scot and Formula One driver David Coulthard. However, as his young family grew up, he spent more time back at his home in Lanarkshire, accepting the higher tax liability of living in Scotland. McRae and his wife Alison had two children, Hollie, nine, and five-year-old Johnny.

His brother, Alister, believed to be in Australia at the moment, is also a professional rally driver and has enjoyed some success, including winning the British Rally Championship in 1995.

In addition to the Lanark and Monaco properties, McRae had a home overlooking Lake Geneva and an apartment in Majorca.

He freely admitted enjoying risk-taking, celebrating his first major rallying win, which came in New Zealand, with a bungee-jump over a ravine.

In addition, he drove a Lamborghini and a series of high-powered motorcycles.

Liberal-- A person who is so open minded that their brains have fallen out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-15-2007, 08:55 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

I do watch it occassionally, but this is quite saddening fir sure.

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-15-2007, 08:58 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to JaydeeZX10 Send a message via Yahoo to JaydeeZX10
That sux man I remember watching him race, he was a badass driver.

2007 ZX10
post #4 of 21 Old 09-15-2007, 09:00 PM
MIA mod

Posting Frequency

Sad, sad news.

Some days will stay a thousand years, some pass like the flash of a spark.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Chickenstrip Eater

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to SUPER K
Fack, that sucks, I remember watchin him dominate. Kinda shitty how he pushed cars through some of the hariest crap and survived it wrecks and all only to be taken out of his element. Kinda reminds me of The Croc Hunter

Crikey.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/josh10r/IMG_0144-1-1-1.jpg
Sent from your mom's IPhone using dirty fingers
post #6 of 21 Old 09-15-2007, 10:49 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

i love rally racing and this sucks big time. he was with out a doubt one of the best rally drivers in the world. i still can't believe it.

"shiny, let's be bad guys"
post #7 of 21 Old 09-15-2007, 10:55 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

This is really bad news for us brits
post #8 of 21 Old 09-15-2007, 11:02 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja6r View Post
i love rally racing and this sucks big time. he was with out a doubt one of the best rally drivers in the world. i still can't believe it.
post #9 of 21 Old 09-15-2007, 11:26 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to gldnchildek9
wow thats crazy... at least he will be remembered as a champion

catch the vapors, all day every day

06 zx10r- bmc race, leo vince slip'ons, ivans block offs, comp works fender eliminator, vortex rearsets, zero gravity db, solo cover, michelin pilot power, pazzo shortys,d.i.d 520 conversion gold chain, afam sprockets, galfer front and rear brake lines,alth front pedal cut rotors,ebc pads, pc3 , factory pro vstacks, matris m3 damper
post #10 of 21 Old 09-15-2007, 11:27 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I do watch it occassionally, but this is quite saddening fir sure.

BD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in