Co-workers who talk out of their... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Co-workers who talk out of their...

So we've been having some of those pointless meetings where nothing gets done. Most of the time, these end up being an hour or so of people letting their ego shine.

Just a little info here for the other IT folk, we are writing software for embedded devices.

Software Engineer A: "I'm disappointed with your team because Software Engineer B was able to do this all by himself on our old platform. Your team does nothing but come up with excuses so you don't have to do it."

Me: "Disappointed? All we're doing is taking the 2 options we were given and are trying to discuss with you the pros and cons of each architecture. If you feel that Software Engineer B can do it better than us, why not make a request for him to do it?"

Software Engineer A: "It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. I'm not trying to attack you guys."

Me: "Well you shouldn't have said it at all. We aren't making tongue-in-cheek comments or attacking anything you're saying. The issues we're discussing right now are based off of the research we've done and the experiences we've had in the past. All we're trying to do is avoid running into these scenarios in the future; all of which are completely valid." :headshake

(you idiot)

He is responsible for the middleware layer of our product. There are tasks that should be handled on that specific layer, just in case something crashes on the presentation layer my team is in charge of. The crashes aren't always avoidable - this is just the nature of the beast. He is trying to push the middleware logic on to us and have it be handled in the presentation layer. The problem about doing things this way is if something happens on the presentation layer, it'll render some major functionality completely useless. Whereas if it stayed in the middleware layer, we could have something detect the error on the presentation layer and relaunch it (watchdog/daemon) without rendering things completely useless.

Still following me?

Anyway - - - I just had to get that out. I'm sure some of you other folks can chime in on some stupid stuff you go through daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 12:09 PM
BigCat for Prez!

Posting Frequency

Lol the whole time reading that im thinking u work at initech...u must not have gotten the memo. I'll go ahead and get u another copy of the memo bec were now putting cover pages on all the TPS reports ok thaaaaaaaaaaanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
in reference to the man card issue, let me clarify it for everyone, " If a man builds a 1000 bridges and sucks one cock, that doesnt make him a bridge builder, it makes him a cock sucker..."
My bike is the fattest and slowest of all the G2s
post #3 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 12:14 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

As a manager for the Railroad everything is pretty much cut and dry, I say something and they go and do it. But as far as dealing with the Federal Railroad Administration or the PUC inspectors its pretty much like what you mention. Ego's start showing and the cussing and belittleing comences.

82 GS450L- Bobber Project
06 636- Sold
07 R1- Lost
08 zx10r- Lost
09 zx10r- Totaled 8/3/14
07 cbr600rr- Track - Sold
12 EX250r- Womans - Kissed a guardrail
13 zx10r- Old street - Sold
14 SSR Lifan 180cc Pit Bike- Fun machine
15 zx10r- New street

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

post #4 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

Yep. Go through explaining things to people who have NO CLUE how things actually work, why they so or ain't work and my favorite......"Now that you bought these new machines you have to hire people to run them. Who's gonna run these six new $500kmachines? " And I get a head movement like they are a freaking dog!

07-ZX10R-SOLD
, 1/5th insert, -1/+5,comp werkes decatted,PC3+multi-hub,piperX,30 dry shot,2custom maps,Ballistic EVO2,Pazzo shorties,SATO rearsets,HealTech,ZG Corsa,EBC XC Gen3 rotors,Vesrah pads, SS lines, Gen3 calipers, etc and stretched 8" so it won't flip
05-ZRX1200R-sold
04-KX500-sold
1975 RD350-garage queen
post #5 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

There is a reason why there's a middleware layer and a presentation layer. What's weird is that usually it's someone who doesn't understand software architecture that tries to do everything in the presentation layer because s/he doesn't understand concepts such as MVC (model/view/controller). And you're saying that a person dealing with middleware is actually trying to push things off to the presentation layer? How is that person even still working at your company?
post #6 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable View Post
There is a reason why there's a middleware layer and a presentation layer. What's weird is that usually it's someone who doesn't understand software architecture that tries to do everything in the presentation layer because s/he doesn't understand concepts such as MVC (model/view/controller). And you're saying that a person dealing with middleware is actually trying to push things off to the presentation layer? How is that person even still working at your company?
It was mentioned, "Let's think about this sort of like how MVC works... the middleware is going to be the Model and Controller" and it was nothing but push back.

One of the things we (me and another lead I work side-by-side with) joke about is, "The majority of our engineers come from the old Nortel... what happened to Nortel?"

.... where my stapler?
post #7 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 01:17 PM
BigCat for Prez!

Posting Frequency

Swinglines sure are some sweet staplers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
in reference to the man card issue, let me clarify it for everyone, " If a man builds a 1000 bridges and sucks one cock, that doesnt make him a bridge builder, it makes him a cock sucker..."
My bike is the fattest and slowest of all the G2s
post #8 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat10R View Post
Man, I could go on and on about the stupid shit I hear.

The other week I was told that I needed to figure out/understand how a certain part of our application build process works because a resource was being moved to another team. . . So I went to investigate and I simply asked TWO people who have extensive knowledge with it, "How do I accomplish this?"

Instead of showing me, I got led on to a 20-30minute speech about why things are the way they are. This didn't answer my question and when I was asked, "Does this make sense?" My reply was, "Well, I'm not quite following you, but I'll figure it out." Seriously, I spent 40 hours trying to take the information they gave me and understand what the hell I needed to do.

Finally, on the last day, I came across a random article from a Google search that wasn't exactly what I was searching for but it led me to the right solution.

THREE FREAKING LINES OF CODE...

THREE!

THREEEEEEEE!

These fools could have EASILY just said, "Here... this is how you do it!"

I am all for self-learning, but I lost many hours when someone could have just flat out told me.

Son of a...
post #9 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 01:28 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat10R View Post
QFT I do all of the purchasing for my unit and I ordered myself one I made sure to get a red one too

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
I'm glad I'm a stripper, the money keeps coming in! lol
post #10 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

^ oh... my... ha ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in