Clear Alternatives problems - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-12-2007, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Clear Alternatives problems

I installed CA's front flushmount signals and integrated taillight assembly this weekend and wanted to voice my semi-dissatisfaction.

The first thing I noticed was the velcro tab on the taillight housing that is supposed to hold down the tail cowling.... well that material was not even compatible with the factory stuff that was on the cowling. Not that it would have mattered.... it was not centered the way it was supposed to be by any stretch of the imagination, probably an inch off in each direction. I just peeled that sh*t off and threw it away, then removed the piece from my stock taillight and mounted it with 3M molding tape. Problem solved, but WTF?

Then there was the resistors that you have to install in parallel if you don't want your blinkers to strobe. First off, this should be an integral part of the unit because NOBODY wants their blinkers to blink that fast. Of course, the resistors are as big as my pinky.....
So I went to hook them up and the wire on one side of the first one comes right off in my hand. Bad soldering job. FACK!
I tried to hook up the other side but could not get a good connection with the supplied tap connectors. They know you will have to splice 3 wires to install the resistor, so why not supply a tap connector that will accept 3 wires?
Before it was all over I had to make a trip to Radio Shack. I had to remove all the wires from the resistors and resolder them with GOOD connections (and LONGER wires), then solder all the splices and heat-shrink them. The front signals plugged right into the stock signal disconnects. Why not the taillight? I had to cut the plugs off my stock blinkers. I threw away a lot of the stuff I had paid for in the kit because it was worthless.

I am pleased with the end result of the installation, but I just had to do WAY too much work for a 'plug-n-play' kit. I was wondering if anyone else has had issues or if maybe I just got a bad kit.

Proper lubrication is the solution to 90% of life's problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-12-2007, 10:07 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I had the same issues, except that I didn't use the resistors. I couldn't find a good place to mount them.

Yes, the included velcro is worthless. I discovered that right away, and salvaged the stuff from the stock tail light.

The blink rate is faster, but I didn't think it was unbearably fast. I used butt connectors to splice the turn signal leads to the factory turn signal plugs that I chopped off.

So far so good. I'm still running stock front signals, however. I hope the CA front signals are incandescent bulbs and not LEDs. If that's the case, they won't get any faster.

I may just go with the OEM Euro front signals; they can be had for cheaper anyway.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-12-2007, 10:18 AM
MIA Ex-Mod

Posting Frequency

You could have forgotten about the resistors and just replaced the flasher relay with a better one.

From the "How to" section:

https://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7210
post #4 of 17 Old 05-12-2007, 10:44 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

i got the complete set of lights from them .....fronts,rears, tail light....im happy with signal lights but the top part of the tail light sticks out more than it should about 1/8 where the top of the tail section meets the top of the brake light.....all in all im happy with mine
post #5 of 17 Old 05-12-2007, 10:46 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread70 View Post
You could have forgotten about the resistors and just replaced the flasher relay with a better one.

From the "How to" section:

https://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7210
Yeah, for $15 more. I'm on a budget people!
post #6 of 17 Old 05-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

on the budget with a 10?

I only had the velcro problem, got the flasher...everything else works ok

swedish meatball.
Black 2004 with full Yoshi, PC3, TRE, Oggy knobs, C/A smoked tail light and smoked euro front turn signals, servo eliminator, öhlins steering damper, kawwi DB screen. thinkin about the air horn...
post #7 of 17 Old 05-12-2007, 02:37 PM
MIA Ex-Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
Yeah, for $15 more. I'm on a budget people!
Not $15, go to the auto parts store and buy one for like $2-3 and make up some wire extensions for little or nothing.

Tread
post #8 of 17 Old 05-12-2007, 04:50 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous View Post
on the budget with a 10?

I only had the velcro problem, got the flasher...everything else works ok
I know, it sounds silly. But, to talk the wife into letting me buy the 10, I had to agree to keep the mods to a minimum. She was getting tired of my modding of the SV.

With a mortgage and a new baby, money is tight.

But, dammit, it's only $15! I should just buy it!
post #9 of 17 Old 05-12-2007, 04:52 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
I know, it sounds silly. But, to talk the wife into letting me buy the 10, I had to agree to keep the mods to a minimum. She was getting tired of my modding of the SV.

With a mortgage and a new baby, money is tight.

But, dammit, it's only $15! I should just buy it!
Is the flasher just plug & play?
post #10 of 17 Old 05-12-2007, 08:52 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I have a 10 and I'm on a budget...I'll be trying to pay this off within the next year, I put it all on a 0% card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in