Chatter Box - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-20-2006, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to BigDally
Chatter Box

Aight' yall. The hand signals, sign language, and "miming" just ain't cuttin' it anymore on the group rides here in the 'field. Thinkin' about getting some 'lectronic gadgetry to chat wid the boyz whilst riding the twisties. I'm hearing some stuffs about something called a chatter box. Looking for any advice, opinions, do's and don'ts regarding this stuff. Recommendations? I think one of my buds already has a Chatterbox X2. Sooooo what yall think????
http://www.motoemporium.com/chatterbox/chatterbox.html

D

Big Dally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-20-2006, 07:56 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

My buddies and I had them, and they worked fairly well. That being said, we got tired of them after a few weeks and never really used them again.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-20-2006, 11:08 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Kinda nice things about bikes......you don't have to talk to others while riding!!!!
My girlfreind thinks I should get one!:headshake
post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-2006, 11:14 PM
GP Star/Official Spam Spotter

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to cain772 Send a message via Yahoo to cain772
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamaster6-10
My girlfreind thinks I should get one!:headshake
i think that is why they call them chatter box

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
-Albert Einstein
post #5 of 9 Old 09-20-2006, 11:27 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cain772
post #6 of 9 Old 09-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

if you use a chatter box might as well drive a car no need for danger for the real riders.

DO NOT USED IT.

AREA P exhaust 12" / euro signals
OEM seat cowl / PUIG windscreen black
GALFER steel braided brake lines red
SATO exhaust hanger / GRAVES fender eliminator
SCOTTS stering damper / STOMP pads
post #7 of 9 Old 09-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I use Autocom - really good - really well made though on the expensive side.

Initially used it as a rider / pillion setup now as a bike to bike. Do enough real long distance stuff to make it worth while.

Primary thing you want to look at is the connections. The first one I bought was a cheapie thing that just got flogged by the wind blowing the cables and the like around. The Autocom comes with thick cables that use a 9 pin connector socket. The cheapie used headphone plugs. Also you couldn't hear anything other than the noise above 40mph. The autocom was good for over 140mph. You calibrate it so it only picks up your voice above a certain level so you can still muttur fuckwit under your breath without it being picked up :P

The autocom is also wired into the battery on the bike so no need to charge it or change its batteries.

If you take your time and mount it properly to the bike and your helmet you won't notice its there. you have a plug located on the bike (1 or 2 depending on whther you want to take to a pillion) and a plug flush mounted on your helmet.

The bike I had fitted it to was a zx-7r. The plug for me came out at the back of the riders seat and I had an AGV helmet with a removable lining. With a little bit of fiddling I mounted the speakers underneath the felt lining, glued the mike to the chin bar (default is velcro) and had the plug protruding about 1/2 an inch from the back of my helmet sandwitched between the lining and the shell.

So basically if I didn't want to use it I just didn't put on the connecting wire and you would never know its there. If I did it was a 2nd job. It worked really well. I bought it for a 10 week trip around europe 2 up and it saves your sanity on endless highways.

For bike to bike it will connect to either a mobile phone or a walkie talkie. So you will need to budget for that as well...

http://www.autocom.co.uk/

Other hints - make sure the cables run up your back. When I first installed it I had it come out between my leg and the tank because thats a shorter link.... Big mistake...

Also you will forget that you are wired in when you get off.... So expect to walk half a step and come to a dead halt
post #8 of 9 Old 09-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Starbucks Connoisseur

Posting Frequency

I have several helmets and 2 have chatterboxes. great for music (iPODS) and excellent for group rides either long distance or canyon carving. if you dont' like the constant talking, um, there is a on and off switch, turn it off. The safetey factor, lets see, someone goes down at the end of the pack, HOW WOULD YOU EVER KNOW? to help them in a few min(because homeboy told everone I ate it bad) vs. 20 min since he didn't show up at the to of the hill 30 miles later?
what if there is a patch of sand or big ass hole in the street if you are in the canyons, kinda nice to tell everone who is not in your view for hand jesturs, (via chatterbox) oh, this thing called pigs aka cops, Hmmm, nice to let everyone know you just saw one on a corner waiting to nab someone iwith a radar gu jsut my 2 cents.

btw, get the X1, it has a 5 mile range and an emgergancy channel
post #9 of 9 Old 09-21-2006, 01:00 AM
MIA mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cain772

The girl friend or the electonics?

Some days will stay a thousand years, some pass like the flash of a spark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in