Car mechanics please help! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-14-2008, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Car mechanics please help!

As some of you know, I am looking into different vehicles to purchase(selling my truck to buy a car). I know the obvious choices, but was wondering about the Lincoln LS. How do these hold with reliability? What are the pros and cons? Thanks for the help.

http://www.racemph.com/

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word which is the Truth that sets me free. Give me strength to separate myself from anything that does not honor You. In Jesus Name. Amen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-15-2008, 05:46 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have several friends who have owned them,only one has had some elecrtical problems.Other than that one they have all been pleased?
post #3 of 21 Old 03-15-2008, 09:04 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

yea dude, thats a bitchin car. co-worker has one lowered on 20s and it still rides prettyy good, handles amazing. remember that car was desgined and engineered by jaguar with the s-type. the s-type is as dowdy looking a car as you'll find but they are a hoot to drive. the v8 ls is a sweet as car, the v6 just a bit slower is all. i'd go for it!!
post #4 of 21 Old 03-15-2008, 10:39 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to gldnchildek9
its a nice car but i just dont like american cars. my folks just picked up an 08 benz c300 4matic, and they love it. personally id go with something Japanese imo.

catch the vapors, all day every day

06 zx10r- bmc race, leo vince slip'ons, ivans block offs, comp works fender eliminator, vortex rearsets, zero gravity db, solo cover, michelin pilot power, pazzo shortys,d.i.d 520 conversion gold chain, afam sprockets, galfer front and rear brake lines,alth front pedal cut rotors,ebc pads, pc3 , factory pro vstacks, matris m3 damper
post #5 of 21 Old 03-15-2008, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks! I would go with something Jap, but money is an issue too. Looking at maybe a 2000 LS for now and then later down the road getting into something Jap.

http://www.racemph.com/

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word which is the Truth that sets me free. Give me strength to separate myself from anything that does not honor You. In Jesus Name. Amen.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-15-2008, 02:45 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Id much rather have a 150,000mile Toyota than a 15,000 mile domestic car, this IS my opinion but I have alot of experience with vehicles and have developed this opinion over time. I value reliability alot more than you would think... the last thing a mechanic wants to do is work on a boring daily driver, bike or hot rod yea! daily driver no. If I had to choose I will always go with a older higher milage Toyota or Honda over a newer anything... I suggest an older one because Japanese imports will always demand more money because they are worth it...

Please forgive me for sounding unamerican I support the US fully but we just dont know how or don't want to design and produce reliable cars...

If you haven't gone down yet, you ain't ridin hard enough!!!
post #7 of 21 Old 03-15-2008, 02:52 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

lemme add the obvious to my previous statement, ALWAYS have the vehicle checked BEFORE purchasing by a trusted mechanic... I know its hard to find one if you dont know one already but talk to him/her personally if you can have the service advisor introduce you and speak frankly with them, Hey is this thing solid? are you accustomed enough with this year, make and model to know its common points of failure if there were any? Ask about clean crankcase, not just clean oil... lets not get me started on the sludge motor business lol...I tell you what if you find a yota you like lemme know the year and model and I can let you know if there was anything common to look for on that vehicle.

If you haven't gone down yet, you ain't ridin hard enough!!!
post #8 of 21 Old 03-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I don't know much about new(or new-ish) Lincolns. If I was going to buy one, I would go to places like Edmunds, Autobytel, Comnsumer Reports, Cars.com and maybe an enthusiast site.

Trouble is, at enthusiast sites you tend to get lots of positive spin to even real issues.

I'm a car enthusiast, just not a modern car enthusiast. I like muscle cars of the '60s to '71 inclusive.

Get as many facts as you can, and try to make your decision based on verifiabla data, rather than hyperbole.

I tend to buy cheap but reliable cars, as all my discretionary car money goes into drag racing projects(great return on invested capital there )

Having a good tech. check out your potential purchase is a must, as is a Carfax report if you're spending anything like real money on your new ride.

Choose wisely.

Last edited by todd_in_NH; 03-15-2008 at 03:15 PM.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Good friend of mine had a 2002 lincoln ls v8, and had TONS of problems with it. It had 63,000 miles on it when she got rid of it. Water pump went out, a/c compressor burnt up, alternator went out, two different spark plug coils quit working, front left wheel bearing went out, multiple electrical issues including tachometer, and a/c control panel. These are the only things that I'm aware of. She got rid of it, and replaced it with a bigger piece of shit in the form of a crysler 300... :headshake

horsepower......my anti-drug
post #10 of 21 Old 03-15-2008, 07:59 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescue212 View Post
Id much rather have a 150,000mile Toyota than a 15,000 mile domestic car, this IS my opinion but I have alot of experience with vehicles and have developed this opinion over time. I value reliability alot more than you would think... the last thing a mechanic wants to do is work on a boring daily driver, bike or hot rod yea! daily driver no. If I had to choose I will always go with a older higher milage Toyota or Honda over a newer anything... I suggest an older one because Japanese imports will always demand more money because they are worth it...

Please forgive me for sounding unamerican I support the US fully but we just dont know how or don't want to design and produce reliable cars...
meh, buy up all the high milage shit you want....

I was a mechanic for years, I have owned a shitload of cars. I would NEVER own another BMW, VW, jaguar or mecedes again, peices of shit that cost a ton to fix. Pretty much anything late model is good nowadays.

as for the jap vs US debate, I have had hondas that had more problems arise than lots of the "cheap" american cars I have owned. For the most part the Jap cars are(were) a bit better built and needed slightly less repairs, but you pay out the ass for them in the first place so the domestics still cost me less after doing a few small repairs. BTW, right now my work truck is a 98 silverado with 160k on the clock and runs great (only ever done a alternator and wiper motor on it) and I have a 340,000k cutlass that just keeps on going without a hitch.....

as for my personal opinion, i just dont like fords

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in