Car buying help... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 09-20-2010, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Car buying help...

Ok...i found a car that I really want and am going to have to trade what I have on it. My car is paid off and I have the title in hand.

I have a 2007 Toyota FJ.
trade in value KBB $21,050
retail KBB $26,220

What I want to trade on at dealers lot:
Dealers sticker price $59,999
trade in value KBB $53,250
retail KBB $59,540

i know im going to get ass raped...but what would be a reasonable deal i could trade for that would just hurt a little, and i would be able to live the rest of my life without to much shame?

If it smells like cologne, leave it alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-20-2010, 06:23 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Depends, what is the vehicle you are looking to buy ?
post #3 of 23 Old 09-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Have you tried selling your fj outright?

post #4 of 23 Old 09-20-2010, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugg_Head View Post
Depends, what is the vehicle you are looking to buy ?
2009 c06

post #5 of 23 Old 09-20-2010, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDLYN13000 View Post
Have you tried selling your fj outright?
no, i havent.

post #6 of 23 Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

That's a tough one. With the bad economy, they may rather have your vehicle on the lot then the C06 (easier to sell), thus you might be able to swing a good deal. My guess is its better to private sale and walk in with cash.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I always sell shit first then look for what I want to buy. You get a lot more obviously if you sell it, then go in there with cash and talk them down a little bit. Its definitely worth the extra work and time!

post #8 of 23 Old 09-20-2010, 06:59 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I would try to sell it outright as well, but with this market selling a 25k FJ wont be very easy either. However here are a couple of tips to make sure you get the best deal possible.

1. Everything is negotiable, dont ever forget that.
2. If you going to be making payments, dont ever tell them how much your willing to pay a month, only tell them what you are willing to pay for the car.
3. Do not mention that you have a trade in until you have settled on a price.

A typical conversation may go a lot like this, because dealers are going to badger you, but stick to your guns and your facts.

DEALER: “What can I do to get you into this car today?”

YOU: “Nothing, I am not buying a car today.” You can say this even if you plan on buying a car that day. Even though you told the salesperson that you don't intend to buy a car during your visit, they won't stop pressuring you to buy.

DEALER: “How much would you like to pay each month?”

YOU: “How much I can afford per month is irrelevant. I just want to negotiate my new car purchase price.“

DEALER: “How do you plan on paying for the car?”

YOU: “I would like to negotiate the price of the car before we get into payment options.”

DEALER: “Do you plan on trading in your old car?”

YOU: “No. I would like to negotiate the price of the new car.” Only mention that you are interested in trading in your old car once you've negotiated the price of the new car.

You should have done your research and should know how much you can get the car for. State your price and tell the salesperson that you are willing to buy the car today for that price. Once you have stated your price, don't budge from it until he counters. Wait for them to counter with a price before you raise your bid—no matter how much they pressure you.

Make sure you know your facts before you go in. Know what you are willing to pay for the car, know what your FJ is worth, find out if there are any rebates or incentives for the car your looking to buy. Its all about research, keeping your cool, and sticking to your guns.

Hope thats not to much b.s. for ya lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.
post #9 of 23 Old 09-20-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDLYN13000 View Post
I always sell shit first then look for what I want to buy. You get a lot more obviously if you sell it, then go in there with cash and talk them down a little bit. Its definitely worth the extra work and time!
youre right..cant argue. i work three jobs and put in about 80 hours a week, so i dont have time to jack around with people, go for test drives, work out finiances with them, etc...and i am not able to take time off work for several more months:(

post #10 of 23 Old 09-20-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeks View Post
I would try to sell it outright as well, but with this market selling a 25k FJ wont be very easy either. However here are a couple of tips to make sure you get the best deal possible.

1. Everything is negotiable, dont ever forget that.
2. If you going to be making payments, dont ever tell them how much your willing to pay a month, only tell them what you are willing to pay for the car.
3. Do not mention that you have a trade in until you have settled on a price.

A typical conversation may go a lot like this, because dealers are going to badger you, but stick to your guns and your facts.

DEALER: “What can I do to get you into this car today?”

YOU: “Nothing, I am not buying a car today.” You can say this even if you plan on buying a car that day. Even though you told the salesperson that you don't intend to buy a car during your visit, they won't stop pressuring you to buy.

DEALER: “How much would you like to pay each month?”

YOU: “How much I can afford per month is irrelevant. I just want to negotiate my new car purchase price.“

DEALER: “How do you plan on paying for the car?”

YOU: “I would like to negotiate the price of the car before we get into payment options.”

DEALER: “Do you plan on trading in your old car?”

YOU: “No. I would like to negotiate the price of the new car.” Only mention that you are interested in trading in your old car once you've negotiated the price of the new car.

You should have done your research and should know how much you can get the car for. State your price and tell the salesperson that you are willing to buy the car today for that price. Once you have stated your price, don't budge from it until he counters. Wait for them to counter with a price before you raise your bid—no matter how much they pressure you.

Make sure you know your facts before you go in. Know what you are willing to pay for the car, know what your FJ is worth, find out if there are any rebates or incentives for the car your looking to buy. Its all about research, keeping your cool, and sticking to your guns.

Hope thats not to much b.s. for ya lol
yea, i basically know the game. i was looking for some hard numbers about how much cash i would need to come with to make it happen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in