Brakes - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Brakes

On my 2002 Acura TL. Buddy sent me new pads from performance friction, free. So i already got the brake fluid, have brake cleaner, have all the tools etc. My question's are:

1. Anyone done a brake job on a 1999 and up Acura TL or CL, maybe even a newer V6 accrod, i am sure the brakes are the same

2. Took off the RF rim, noticed there is a large nut holding the rotor on and that part of the nut was "crushed" into the spindle?

3. Does this mean i need a new nut? If i take the nut off am i repacking anything.

4. It looks like this car recently had a brake job, rotors look pretty thick, slight pad wear, but the pads look pretty good, do you think i need to get the rotors turned?

Reason i am doing the brake job is that the pedal feels mushy, i got free pads, and don't mind doing my own work. I have worked on brakes for many mustangs and my bike so i am not new to this, just never did them on a "jap" car before. Any insight would be appreicated!!

"Lead, Follow, or get the hell outta my way!!"

Blue 2004 ZX-10R
- 152.5rwhp 77.6rwtq - more than I need

Red 2003 Jack ROUSH Classic #8 of 50
- 375rwhp 381rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to hillcountry10r
Sounds to me like you are speaking of the CV shaft nut. I could be mistaken, but on my old (1988) Acura Integra, I didn't think you needed to take that bolt off to get the rotors.

Of course were talking of different cars. but on mine there were just two phillips screws you needed to remove with an impact driver.

But either way, if you remove that large nut on the CV shaft, you will not have to repack anything.

If you posted a pic I could walk you right through it f'sho! Probably...keep in mind Ive never taken the wheel off of a new model acura...but done plenty of work on older front wheel drive cars.

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.
James 3:7,8

post #3 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

If theres no screws to take out then you would have to take the nut off. You don't need to repack anything unless you want to.

I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box.
post #4 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

there were 2 phillips screws in the rotor also, didn't think that meant much. i am just making sure i got everything the first time since i can't put my car into a garage and pretty much can't leave it unfinished in the apt parking lot and won't have access to a vechicle to get parts that easy.

Blue 2004 ZX-10R

- 375rwhp 381rwtq
post #5 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 09:03 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

also, not to be smart...

but they do have manuals for these things that you can pick up at auto zone...might save you alotta trouble.

For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race. But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil full of deadly poison.

post #6 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

ya i know they prob do, but i know it can't be that complicated, i have installed new braking systems before and such, just wanted to get any "insider" tips b/c sometimes its not always in what you read.

Blue 2004 ZX-10R

- 375rwhp 381rwtq
post #7 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Hillbillie Mod

Posting Frequency

yeah, I hear ya on that f'sho...its pretty simple...

its gotta be if I can do it!

post #8 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 09:38 PM
PostWhore

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to GuitarPlyr
First, i dont know anything about Acura brakes...

having said that.....are you sure that the nut is holding on the rotor?....most rotors come off independantly. most times...getting rotors turned costs around 10 dollars ....a couple reasons to turn them is, if they are slightly warped (youll feel this in the stearing when brakes applied)....also, grooves will wear out new pads faster...

John 8:24:
Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."

Last edited by GuitarPlyr; 09-27-2005 at 09:45 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 09-27-2005, 11:08 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAzzGuitarPlyr
First, i dont know anything about Acura brakes...

having said that.....are you sure that the nut is holding on the rotor?....most rotors come off independantly. most times...getting rotors turned costs around 10 dollars ....a couple reasons to turn them is, if they are slightly warped (youll feel this in the stearing when brakes applied)....also, grooves will wear out new pads faster...
Yeah, what he said....

And mushy feeling is likely the same thing it is when your ZX10 brakes feel mushy. Probably old brake fluid, which boils at a lower temperature, which causes air to accumulate in the brake lines. Pushing the pistons back to fit the new pads may produce a quicky brake bleed and could cure the problem. If the fluid is old, it should be replaced.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-28-2005, 02:17 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Guys - my 1st post, after lurking and looking for a while (I like what I see... ).

As a veteran mechanic, RickRoush, I'd say you're looking at the axle shaft retaining nut as noted above -- if you've experience with changing the 'Stang pads, you should have no trouble, the TL's pads are prolly easier, if all yer doin' is pad rplmt. (how many miles? pedal gotten spongier progressively? problems stopping/pulling/noises, etc?? given it a visual insp. yet - cond. of rotors, etc...?? car a daily driver/grocery-getter, driven hard, etc??).

A friend's a Honda 'Ricer' and frequents those boards, so installation pics should be easilly obtained. If you're just swappin' pads (not always recommended; see above), only one bolt per wheel must be removed; the caliper then 'swings' away, allowing pad inst.

But be advised, this car has ABS, and if you simply push the caliper piston back into its bore, the dirty fluid will be forced back into the (expensive) master cylinder causing possible damage/an ABS warning light at the least. Check this link for ABS precautions/procedures:
http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900F...0ABS%20Sensors

edit: just saw the 'Ricer' - here're pics:
(grrr...the pics wouldn't 'take' -- here's the page & replacement procedure):
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/184466/24

If you need further clarification, I'll be ck'ing back tomorrow. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in