Bluetooth Helmets/communication - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-31-2019, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Bluetooth Helmets/communication

so I lurk here since selling my gen2.. picked up a 09 heritage classic to putt around on. Im in the market for a new lid for myself and my wife. Anyone have any advise/opinions on Bluetooth? Either already installed or what systems your using in helmets? Im more looking for GPS and pass communication. idk if I see myself doing tunes...prefer motor&nature. Id also want a good helmet
Thanks

ride or die!::weed :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-31-2019, 09:16 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel10R View Post
so I lurk here since selling my gen2.. picked up a 09 heritage classic to putt around on. Im in the market for a new lid for myself and my wife. Anyone have any advise/opinions on Bluetooth? Either already installed or what systems your using in helmets? Im more looking for GPS and pass communication. idk if I see myself doing tunes...prefer motor&nature. Id also want a good helmet
Thanks
Sena all the way. The units are a little pricey but worth every penny.. I went though 2 Amazon/eBay communicators before I bit the bullet on the Sena and I wish I would've never screwed around with the off-brand junk. My suggestion would be to get the 20S too (or whatever successor might be available now). I have the 10S right now, but I've tried the 20S and it is indeed a much better unit with much further range, slightly longer battery life, clearer audio, and it's less finicky. By less finicky I mean you won't sit there for 5 minutes like I do with the 10S trying to connect to another Sena 2" away lol. They won't hum or buzz or drone either. You won't even know the units on until someone's actually speaking.

The only con to the Sena's is I don't think they work with half-helmets. So if you're thinking about going for that cruiser look with a half-helmets you're going to be pretty limited in bluetooth communicators as far as I know. In terms of helmets though you're going to have to figure out which one works specifically for you and specifically for your wife. Every brand is going to fit different regardless of what head shape they advertise for. Head to a local dealer, ignore prices, and find the one that fits you like a snug glove...

When in doubt... send it!
post #3 of 8 Old 01-31-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
ive been a full face guy since hitting pavement. Usually only topline Arai, But have toyed with getting a modular helmet. still rocking an Arai but was new in 2008!! You wouldnt guess how many times I was asked if I was gonna go out and buy all new gear cause I got a harley!! I mean I still give a shit?

Have looked at Cardo. Do the add on systems go into any helmet?

Last edited by diesel10R; 01-31-2019 at 09:58 AM.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-31-2019, 08:20 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Picked up a Shoei RF1200 a couple years ago, my first nice lid and probably some of the best money I spent on bike stuff. A huge step over entry level lids that I was used to. Quiet, light and vents that actually do something.

Added a photo chromatic shield, also money very well spent, super convenient.

Then added the Sena 20S, works well I like I can play music and comms run over top of the tunes. Only downside, I think the speakers are pretty shit quality. Not a huge audiophile, but they suck. Looking at upgrading the speakers currently. Other than that a great feature to have when riding with someone.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-01-2019, 01:09 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

No No the best is the Schuberth system look at the C4 Pro spec compared to the Shoei, the comms are faultless 👍🏾
post #6 of 8 Old 02-01-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
i looked last night sena does seem to be out front. dont see much diff between the 20s and 30k for $50. they all seem to go on any helmet??? I dont know if there'd be room in my arai for a mic? so helmet choice time too

post #7 of 8 Old 02-01-2019, 09:26 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
The Sena includes a discreet microphone, you don't need the big boom mic that's included in the box. That's more for a modular helmet user. The speakers on the Sena are definitely not top-tier. I haven't had a chance to test out other devices but it's definitely not loud enough in some scenarios for me. There's also rare occasions where the audio quality drops during Sena-to-Sena communication. I usually have to re-connect to that Sena to fix the audio glitches. Not sure if that's just a 10S issue.

When in doubt... send it!
post #8 of 8 Old 02-01-2019, 06:19 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I sometimes use a modular helmet (shoei neotek) with the Sena headset that integrates with the helmet to make it as sleek as the schuberth. But the in-helmet speakers are inadequate, even on a quiet bike, due to wind noise in the helmet. The Schuberth is reportedly a quieter helmet though. I don't want to crank the speakers since my ears are already damaged. With earplugs, you cannot hear the speakers at all. So... I went the route of wireless bluetooth earbuds that go to a neck mounted battery/controller. I got an LG set which don't pull out when I put on the helmet. It does a pretty good job of keeping wind noise out and lets you hear without unnecessarily high volume. And of course, you can get any helmet you want, modular or otherwise. Not for everyone but something to consider and they're cheaper than any of the Sena sets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in