Big Brother at it again- car black boxes - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 11-15-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

Big Brother at it again- car black boxes

Many will already know about the black boxes in some cars. But did you know how many cars, when they started, and what all the black box records?
Read the link and see for yourselves. Won't be long before Insurance companies base your policy off your driving habits.(yeah, I'm a little paranoid but this s BS)

http://money.msn.com/auto-insurance/...insurance.aspx

07-ZX10R-SOLD
, 1/5th insert, -1/+5,comp werkes decatted,PC3+multi-hub,piperX,30 dry shot,2custom maps,Ballistic EVO2,Pazzo shorties,SATO rearsets,HealTech,ZG Corsa,EBC XC Gen3 rotors,Vesrah pads, SS lines, Gen3 calipers, etc and stretched 8" so it won't flip
05-ZRX1200R-sold
04-KX500-sold
1975 RD350-garage queen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Newfie Bullet

Posting Frequency

Garage
Blk boxes are in big rigs to..it can make or break a driver..The so called blk boxes records everything from a base starting point but i dont imagine it will be an issue till a major accident happens..
IN big rigs,pppffftttt dot has the right to plug into it damn near any time but it can be a sentitive subject in the eyes of the law..Here in canada the ontario and quebec dot can legally plug into a rigs ecu just to look but not able to make any changes,I hear storys that there has been cases of a virus put into the trucks ecu by mistake costing truckers big $$

Team green,Bleed green,RIDE GREEN!!

Brembo m/c,Nassert Beet,HEL lines,Pazzo levers,HID kit,custom monster paint scheme..Thanks to forum member horse for that..Woolich raceing kit,Elka rear shock and front fork pistons,Green samco coolant hose kit,Zero gravity dbbl smoked screen,520 conversion,attack rear sets,bmc race air filter,Monster zx6 front seat,moto graffix tank pad,feredo pads,galpher lite weight rear rotor.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

if we can hack our bike ECU... I'm sure the black box can be hacked...

Progressive insurance already gives you a price break if you run there "black box".

I suppose my cage will be my "normal drive" and my bike... will just magically be stuck in 6th gear all the time and the speedo healer will "unheal" the speed to 11.3 mph top speed all the time.

Need to know how to install your Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert? click me
For more info on a sticky grip (not enough cable slack) click me
And another amazing install write up click this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
lol, once you go 1/5th... you NEVER go back
post #4 of 20 Old 11-15-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

I believe it is Progressive auto insurance here that is giving the drivers of autos the option of installing GPS based tracking data recorders in their cars/trucks. They claim it is ONLY used to "lower" ones rates on their policy if the data collected shows they were a good, non speeding, non traffic law breaker in a year. Then the owners policy would be lowered. They claim those that opted for the GPS data collection that had poor driving, traffic law infractions, speeders, would not be penalized unless an accident or ticket occurred. Meaning if you were a frequent speeder(40 in a 35mph) with no tickets your rates would not go up.
Really, what that comes down to is an initial "trial/test" and the insurance company is seeking volunteers to work the bugs out of the GPS data collection tracking device. Then, it will become standard to have your insurance policy renewal rates based off of what the data dictates to the company. fast driver, agressive driver, hard braker, rapid acceleration etc.
It is only a matter of time before this happens. When, who knows. But it will happen. The "volunteers' who agree to stick the GPS recorder in their vehicles are the testers to help work the bugs out for them. I can't be certain it was Progressive who announced this plan for 2012. But, it was one of the top 10 Insurers in the US.

07-ZX10R-SOLD
, 1/5th insert, -1/+5,comp werkes decatted,PC3+multi-hub,piperX,30 dry shot,2custom maps,Ballistic EVO2,Pazzo shorties,SATO rearsets,HealTech,ZG Corsa,EBC XC Gen3 rotors,Vesrah pads, SS lines, Gen3 calipers, etc and stretched 8" so it won't flip
05-ZRX1200R-sold
04-KX500-sold
1975 RD350-garage queen
post #5 of 20 Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Gen2 Ripper

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
if we can hack our bike ECU... I'm sure the black box can be hacked...

Progressive insurance already gives you a price break if you run there "black box".

I suppose my cage will be my "normal drive" and my bike... will just magically be stuck in 6th gear all the time and the speedo healer will "unheal" the speed to 11.3 mph top speed all the time.
LOL, I typed too Slow. IT IS PROGRESSIVE!! I thought so.

Thanks for confirming. And yes, I'm sure it can be hacked, tricked, manipulated in some way. Just like a 02 sensor in a car can so the ECU does not throw a CEL code if catless. Or, turning off the traction/Torque management in the Vette's ECU via tuning software. Some how, some where, somebody will create a patch to disable or re write the black box's data to be a "GOOD" driver.

07-ZX10R-SOLD
05-ZRX1200R-sold
04-KX500-sold
1975 RD350-garage queen
post #6 of 20 Old 11-15-2011, 10:59 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have friend that will do anything to save a penny. He already had the progressive black box.

I am waiting for the day that they black box has a transmitter to tattle tale on you so you can get your tickets without a witness.

War is about killing people and breaking things. It ain't the olympics. Its not supposed to be fair. Tom Clancy

ialsodontknowwhynewpeoplecantseperatetheirthoghtss owecanreadthemitmakesitunweidlyandannoyingtryingto decipherwhattheyaretryingtosaysoiusuallyjustmoveon atleastyouusedpuncuationthoughsocongratsonthatbutm aybeinthefutureyoucanhelpusalloutbecauseyouoranyon eelsewillgetmorerepliesifyoudontwriteonebigrunonth atsimpossibletoread
post #7 of 20 Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_b03 View Post
I have friend that will do anything to save a penny. He already had the progressive black box.

I am waiting for the day that they black box has a transmitter to tattle tale on you so you can get your tickets without a witness.
man, that will be scary as hell!
post #8 of 20 Old 11-16-2011, 01:52 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Wouldn't a mandatory black box be considered and invasion of privacy? If an insurance company were in instate this, I expect that it would be optional for the additional savings. Were they to make it mandatory, they would first lose alot of customers and second, have lawsuits, protests, and petitions against it.

- 2010 Genesis Coupe Karussell White 2.0T
- [Stolen] 2009 Team Yamaha Blue R6
- 2011 Kawasaki ZX10R in Ebony/Flat Ebony

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
-Hannibal
post #9 of 20 Old 11-16-2011, 07:45 AM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverendingmods View Post
Quote:
. Seven states prohibit insurance contracts from requiring policyholders to consent to access: Connecticut, New Hampshire, New York, Oregon, Texas, Virginia and Washington.
God Bless Texas!

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #10 of 20 Old 11-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I own too old of vehicles so I still have nothing to worry about. AND as long as it is not on my bike, I have nothing to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in