Beware what you update, it could affect you more than you know.. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 10-20-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Beware what you update, it could affect you more than you know..

... It may end of costing you a LOT of money in the end.
I was told by the investigators I could tell the story now...

It started like this:

My wife 'updated' her flash player and the fun began. At least she thought she did. To her it looked like a flash player update, but after clicking it several times to do it it didn't do anything so she closed it. Two days later, a $1 charge showed up for a Vox prepaid phone card originating from Montreal Canada. She asked me what it was and I didn't know. We were going to investigate it with the bank as a error but didn't get the chance before...

The second charge the next day, this time from France, for the tidy sum of almost $1000. Then a third, for every dime in our account. Wont say how much, but it was a lot and it took every dime we had. Actually OVERDRAFTED us. By this time we are freaking out and went to the bank to launch an investigation.

Seems that the 'update' wasn't an update at all, but a keylogger that logged her bankcard number that she used to pay our water bill online. It in turn sent it to someone in Canada, who then sent it to someone in France. We don't know who, but the damage was done. We did get our money back finally, but only because we are 'preferred' customers at our bank, not because they found anything. We were without any money for a bit, and had to use credit cards to get through that time. The investigation is still ongoing, and there are still more charges out there on it.

I still dont know all the details yet but hope to in the future. As I said earlier it is still ongoing at this time and we may not know soon if ever. The bank said that we may never know who did it but I just hope our experience may help someone else.

Just make sure what you update is actually an update...

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 10-20-2010, 07:37 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

When they are caught,they should be shot and hung from their balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOR, PCIII,SHARKSKINZ.TECH SPEC,CRG,PZRACING GEAR INDICATOR AND SHIFT LIGHT,VORTEX,OSF REARSETS,MAVIRYK 8 CELL BATT,OHLINS STEERING DAMPER,ROCKWALL CLIPONS,GOODRIDGE BRAKE LINES,COX RACING RADIATOR GAURD,DID GOLD CHAIN,CHAMP CHAIN ADJUSTERS,NISSIN FRONT CALIPERS,ZERO GRAVITY,WOODCRAFT,EBC EXTREME PRO,XT RACING LAP TIMER,T-REX FRAME SLIDERS.GP STYL SHIFT
post #3 of 34 Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the heads up!!!

قودبيي فتهر
post #4 of 34 Old 10-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Guilty by association

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by green10 View Post
When they are caught,they should be shot and hung from their balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hell yea, good looking out honez

-I come in peace. I didnít bring artillery. But Iím pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, Iíll kill you all.
General "Mad Dog" Mattis
post #5 of 34 Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 PM
inappropriate

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to hesaves0211
wow man thats scary, my wife and i supposedly just purchased a ticket to london on our credit card last month. fortunatly the bank hooked us up and we werent charged and recieved new cards. this electronic banking is scary these days. i hope you get everything back dude!

1ST GEN-10R 234hp/[email protected], GT2871RS, cometic gasket, tial bov/ex wastegate, BEGI FMU, WALBRO fuel pump,falicon clutch basket,race pak clutch,200/50 pilot,yana-shiki levers,.net wristband, WEGO III,PC3,GPR damper,cbr cals/Galfer SS brake lines,gp shift,1/5 throttle, 2NDARIES REMOVED <<click for how-to, *R.I.P D.J 10 Apr 04*
post #6 of 34 Old 10-20-2010, 08:57 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to wildcats
this is a normal thing these days, if your not computer savy its time to learn, always check your address bar for an internet page, make sure its the right one then always make sure its HTTPS when you send any kind of information to. HTTPS is secure shell well a version of it. Like he says pay attention or you could be in the same situation

If practice makes perfect, but no one is perfect so why try?
post #7 of 34 Old 10-20-2010, 09:00 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Good looking out and good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.
post #8 of 34 Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Team Green Baby!

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to ShinobiZXR
Wow that is scary. I do a lot of online banking but I'm real carefully with the popups. Sounds like it started with malware which is usually the case. It looks legit and pretends to be but it's the total opposite...malicious. Check out www.avast.com for antivirus software. That's what I have installed and it's free with an email registration. Another one is nod32 www.eset.com. Heard it's good but you have to pay for this one. You should run malwarebytes while you're at it too and run it in safe mode. Of course, no antimalware or antivirus software will guarantee complete removal. Best way is to backup your data and rebuild your pc. Glad you were able to get all your money back Honez.
post #9 of 34 Old 10-21-2010, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

She has antivirus and all of that. Dont know exactly how she got it other than it popped up for the update and she clicked it. I really dont any more than that other than my money was gone. Hopefully this is the end of it. I reformatted her computer and made it the way she got it originally. I just hope this experience helps anyone from having to go through what we had to. Live and learn I guess.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #10 of 34 Old 10-21-2010, 05:03 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thats crazy Honez. I hope you guys can get that all straightened out without too much hassle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in