Beware of people scamming on these forums-read - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-21-2005, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Beware of people scamming on these forums-read

As some of you might know, I have posted my bike for sale due to moving into another house and not much riding time this year. Anyway, I only have my bike posted for sale on 3 Kawi forums; this one, Kawiforums.com and zx-10r-forum.com.

Well someone is either an active member or a lurker on one of these forums and trying to pull the typical bullshit internet scam. They contacted me stating they were from overseas and want to buy my bike. They claim to have someone that "owes" them money and "they" will send the payment. The payment is for more than the purchase price, so once I receive the payment I am to deduct the price for the bike and "wire" the balance to someone claiming to be the shipping agent.

Anyway, long story short. If you guys have not seen this before it goes like this; the person buying my bike is scamming another person. That person sending payment thinks they are buying the item from me (since they are sending me payment). The person sending the money has my name, etc so they take recourse against me. The person orchestrating the deal gets x amount wired to them so they are happy with a few thousand clear and the buyer getting scammed comes after the person they sent paymen to, which would be me.

Anyway I knew this was a scam and have seen it done for a long time. I just decided to go thru with it to get a hold of the funds. Once I get it, I will track down the person who sent it and return it back to them. I can believe people still fall for this shit. The person claiming to be buying my bike this time is calling himself Smith Henry.

If anyone has any idea of who is doing this, please speak up. Like I said, it came from one of these forums.

Green ZX10, Scotts Dampener, Muzzy Ti, Power Commander, braided lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-21-2005, 02:58 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to Lillfool Send a message via Skype™ to Lillfool
Glad you didn't fal for it!
post #3 of 16 Old 04-21-2005, 03:21 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

If people put the same effort into legitimate jobs and busness deals as they do into scamming, they could do pretty good for themselves....legally

Well, I started out with nothing and I still have most of it...
post #4 of 16 Old 04-21-2005, 03:30 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Damn busted again.

j/k yeah ya see this alot.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
post #5 of 16 Old 04-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Tell them you will do it but make them pay for shipping ahead of time when they shipping company comes have a large crate filled with about 600 lbs of crap and declare the value at 30,000 us dollars when they get it and havn't paid you they have paid for a large amount of shipping as well as import duties for their country on the declared value for some crap.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-21-2005, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdratherBzx10en
Tell them you will do it but make them pay for shipping ahead of time when they shipping company comes have a large crate filled with about 600 lbs of crap and declare the value at 30,000 us dollars when they get it and havn't paid you they have paid for a large amount of shipping as well as import duties for their country on the declared value for some crap.
I am sure the bike would never be shipped. The whole purpose of the scam is to make me feel like I am getting all my money for the bike and sending the over payment via Western Union to the other guy. So I collect my cash first and then send the balance to the scammer. In this case, they person getting screwed is sending me payment for $12,000, the scammer tells me to pull out my $8300 for the bike and wire the rest to him. The scammer makes a quick $3700, which the person getting screwed comes after me for his $12k. I would then only have $8300 which he would then try to sue me for the remaining $3700.

Apparently the payment is on its way to me and should be here in a couple days. I am either going to track down the idiot who mailed it and return it or just turn it over to the local cops with all the information.

Green ZX10, Scotts Dampener, Muzzy Ti, Power Commander, braided lines.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-21-2005, 06:24 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to Alex31
Wow, that is something new to me. I remember there was a thread on the laptop scam....Does any guys knows how to trick back this scammer?

Bike Under "Project Recovery"
post #8 of 16 Old 04-21-2005, 07:25 PM
K10
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

watch out for this too

Not sure how this works exactly, but there is a website QChex.com, where you can provide your bank account number and they will generate a check for you (never used it, not sure what other account info you need) for payment to someone. My friend is selling a car, the person claims to be overseas and will send a check, my friend gets a legit check (from Qchex) for 2500 over the price of the car for shipping. My friend calls the bank on the check, and gives the account number, perfect, sufficient funds. He is very skeptical, obviously, I mean someone wants his car, who has only seen pictures and is willing to send a check for 2500 over the purchase price. So he talks to his bank they check it out and say it has sufficient funds, AND look the check over for watermarks etc, all checks out. It almost goes completely through, until the bank on the check actually gets the check and says wait, this is a valid account number, but NOT the right name on the account.
So, the only thing I can figure is, the guy stole the account number (canceled check, hacking, etc) and simply used the account number to create a check through this site and had it sent to my friend. Seems too damn easy! It's too bad actually, I think that site would be a great alternative to freakin Paypal.
Just be careful of these Qchex.

Fuckin parasites!!!!
post #9 of 16 Old 04-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves87
I am sure the bike would never be shipped. The whole purpose of the scam is to make me feel like I am getting all my money for the bike and sending the over payment via Western Union to the other guy. So I collect my cash first and then send the balance to the scammer. In this case, they person getting screwed is sending me payment for $12,000, the scammer tells me to pull out my $8300 for the bike and wire the rest to him. The scammer makes a quick $3700, which the person getting screwed comes after me for his $12k. I would then only have $8300 which he would then try to sue me for the remaining $3700.

Apparently the payment is on its way to me and should be here in a couple days. I am either going to track down the idiot who mailed it and return it or just turn it over to the local cops with all the information.

There have been several scammers scammed for shippng and duties on items they tried to steel. When they think they are getting something for nothing they are willing to pay shipping.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-21-2005, 07:36 PM
K10
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Steve..Not sure I follow..

How does the scammer get the middle guy to send you money? Does he claim to have something for sell? Sorry , just not sure I understand how he convinces someone to send the victim(you) money?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in