Best waxing procedure - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-02-2006, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Best waxing procedure

Well I've finally found it. I have a friend that's crazy into chemical makeups of things and writes alot of posts on an f150 website about cleaning/ waxing products and the such. Having never owned a black bike and having a million concerns about the color, he was the first one i went to when i started asking questions.

First let me say i had no idea black was so tempermental. Even the wrong towel would put fine scratches in the paint.:headshake ....Where i live in palm desert, it regularly gets over 110. I cant even take some spray detailer and rub to get off the bugs without scratching. (and that's with a micro fiber towel)

So that being said, you guys want the best of the best try this and then comment.

Obviously start with a clean bike. Apply Meguire's NXT tech paste wax. It's a full synthetic. This alone will remove scratches and leave an AMAZING shine. Let the was sit over night. Next morning apply some of Meguire's #26 I always do 2 coats.

There you have it. I can't get technical on the chemical make ups like my friend can, but just let me say.....amazing shine but more importantly protection and you shouldn't have to do this but every 3-4 months of riding. For quick touch ups I use the Mequire's NXY spray detailer. It puts loved products like honda polish to shame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-02-2006, 11:54 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

let the wax sit on the bike over night?

www.alteredchrome.com

Its done!! Check it out!!

post #3 of 13 Old 07-02-2006, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredZX-10
let the wax sit on the bike over night?
After using and removing the wax...then let it sit overnight. Then apply #26 2 coats if you have the time.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-02-2006, 03:23 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Zaino is still better... and damn I miss this bike... :headshake

--
"Bottom line, when I'm on that bike, it's just me and God...And He better be holding on."- Stillie on SSB

Si vis pacem, para bellum...

El Diablo
post #5 of 13 Old 07-02-2006, 03:43 PM
MIA Ex-Mod

Posting Frequency

Will that work for an Orange bike?

Tread

2004 PBO zx10-r pazzo, seat cowl, yoshi Ti TRS bolt on, PC3, Speedo-Healer, Hyperpro, Braided lines, 16-40, Sato sets, ZG dark screen, and more.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-02-2006, 04:19 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstang46
After using and removing the wax...then let it sit overnight. Then apply #26 2 coats if you have the time.

ahh okay. thats sounds better. i wondering why anyone in thier right mind would let wax sit over night.

www.alteredchrome.com

Its done!! Check it out!!

post #7 of 13 Old 07-02-2006, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo
Zaino is still better... and damn I miss this bike... :headshake

Zaino is a very solid product that is highly respected but, I still tend to see that saran-wrapped look rather than a deep, warm, luster.... I'm not bashing on Z, it's just that I like the appearance of other products more than I do Z ... or straight NXT... or straight MPPP for that matter.

A finish with the Z will give you such high gloss that it can detract from a flake/pearl finish. But NXT (another high gloss) with a great Carnuba like #26...or #16 topcoat, if you can find it will yield incredible depth. Much Much more so than Zaino. Zaino gives shine...but not close to the depth...Depth is what's needed to bring out the flake in most of todays modern finishes. You don't want a finish so shiny when you step back that it drownds out some of the effect of flake. besides, the NXT really covers and protects in between the top coats of carnuba over the following months after initial application
post #8 of 13 Old 07-02-2006, 04:45 PM
MIA Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Best waxing procedure: wax on. wax off. dun. Damn it's a sport bike, ride! Buy a hardly to wax and shine!

2011 Ninja 1K street
2004 636 track
post #9 of 13 Old 07-02-2006, 06:16 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstang46
Zaino is a very solid product that is highly respected but, I still tend to see that saran-wrapped look rather than a deep, warm, luster.... I'm not bashing on Z, it's just that I like the appearance of other products more than I do Z ... or straight NXT... or straight MPPP for that matter.

A finish with the Z will give you such high gloss that it can detract from a flake/pearl finish. But NXT (another high gloss) with a great Carnuba like #26...or #16 topcoat, if you can find it will yield incredible depth. Much Much more so than Zaino. Zaino gives shine...but not close to the depth...Depth is what's needed to bring out the flake in most of todays modern finishes. You don't want a finish so shiny when you step back that it drownds out some of the effect of flake. besides, the NXT really covers and protects in between the top coats of carnuba over the following months after initial application
How can you say that after seeing ED's pics or presumably vehicles using Zaino in person? The metal flake in ED's paint is clearly visible and the black looks like you could dive into it. Meguires is good stuff. I've used there products for years. But if applied correctly, I've never seen anything make paint look better than Zaino.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-02-2006, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

[QUOTE=phastone]How can you say that after seeing ED's pics or presumably vehicles using Zaino in person? QUOTE]

Because I've used zaino before. Let me make myself clear again. Zaino is a good product!! I can't put it any more clearly than that. However, the new synthetics that have come out when used as a base followed by a carnuba top will provide a better result on pearl and metal flake finishes. I'm not trying to argue here but only give good advice to those that are as anal and meticulous as I am about the care and maintenance of my machine.

the vehicle I test almost all my stuff on is my custom painted f150 with Planet Color Paint. Has 9 layers of paint...flake...and 6 coats clear. On a paint like that you see differences. Zaino is not as good, however in it's defense it's less time consuming. If one wants the best.....The combination I'm speaking of will give the best results....

Give it a shot and you'll see!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in