ATTN police officers - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 01-02-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Just trolling

Posting Frequency

ATTN police officers

Im looking at becoming a cop..im looking for some info as to how you got to where you were, what you did and so on. right now im in community college looking at going into criminal justice than maybe coast guard for a few years. im 20 and curious how long is police academy, and how hard is it to get a job as an officers? thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
I'd change the oil in that...and all the time.
Panigale 1199S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-02-2009, 05:48 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

First off, you need to specify where you are doing this. That's because every STATE is DIFFERENT. Don't forget that. I have family in Law Enforcement in multiple states and I know how many variances there are for each state, let alone for each agency. So tell me what city and state you plan to do this in, and I can steer you in the right direction (hopefully, lol).

CCS/ASRA AM #567 Suck my Laughing Gas...Haha

My track videos: Homestead, Pt.1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AestzQ9E-Kc
Homestead, 3rd personhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSvLTGUU4xI
Palm Bch Intern'tl Raceway w/ my lowside, lol:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkyehVn95pE
Joker at Daytona-Team Hammer race school w/ John Hopkins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YpPUATErMY
Penguin Roadrace School:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLORtCY8aiI
post #3 of 27 Old 01-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Blitzkrieg

Posting Frequency

ditto. and good luck in your career, it a very rewarding and frustrating one at the same time. it's a front row seat to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker 008 View Post
First off, you need to specify where you are doing this. That's because every STATE is DIFFERENT. Don't forget that. I have family in Law Enforcement in multiple states and I know how many variances there are for each state, let alone for each agency. So tell me what city and state you plan to do this in, and I can steer you in the right direction (hopefully, lol).

"There is always time to think about what you want to do,
Until it comes time to start doing what you were meant to do."

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.~unknown~

"The true test of a mans character is how he treats someone, from whom he has nothing to gain"

"It's the things that people don't know about themselves on the inside, that make them afraid"
post #4 of 27 Old 01-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Blitzkrieg

Posting Frequency

by the way...nice avatar

"There is always time to think about what you want to do,
Until it comes time to start doing what you were meant to do."

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.~unknown~

"The true test of a mans character is how he treats someone, from whom he has nothing to gain"

"It's the things that people don't know about themselves on the inside, that make them afraid"
post #5 of 27 Old 01-02-2009, 05:54 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow10r View Post
Im looking at becoming a cop..im looking for some info as to how you got to where you were, what you did and so on. right now im in community college looking at going into criminal justice than maybe coast guard for a few years. im 20 and curious how long is police academy, and how hard is it to get a job as an officers? thanks

Here is an excerpt from LAPD:

If you are selected for the LAPD, you will be sent to the world famous LAPD Academy for six months of training. Training is rigorous, demanding and exhausting. It is also a rewarding life-changing experience. New officers learn how much they are capable of by succeeding at seemingly impossible challenges, both physical and mental.

Training is free and Officers are paid their full starting salary during training.

Much of the training occurs in the classroom. Officers learn law, human relations, Spanish and report writing. Officers are also trained in tactics, firearms and driving. Physical fitness and self-defense training plays a big part in the Academy. In fact, the physical fitness part of the program is so demanding that recruits are encouraged to start a training regimen before entering the Academy.

The LAPD Police Academy Curriculum:

Academics encompasses arrest and booking procedures, preliminary investigation techniques, radio and communications, report writing, traffic investigation, and traffic enforcement.

Driving includes the Emergency Vehicle Operations Course, which covers defensive driving, pursuit policy, and safe vehicle handling.

Firearms Training includes weapon care and safety, marksmanship, tactical manipulation with the sidearm and shotgun, and chemical agents handling (Police candidates are strongly discouraged from seeking firearms instruction prior to entering the Police Academy. Poor marksmanship habits may be developed that are difficult or impossible to overcome.).

Human Relations includes cultural sensitivity training, sexual harassment issues, media relations, stress management, disability awareness, community relations, tactical communications, hate crimes, missing persons, and domestic violence.

Law covers search and seizure, evidence, laws of arrest, crimes against persons and property, sex crimes, crimes against children, and other general criminal statutes falling under the California Penal Code, Los Angeles Municipal Code, Welfare and Institutions Code, and Federal Laws.

Physical Training builds strength and endurance through physical conditioning while promoting a positive attitude toward a fitness lifestyle. It also encompasses training in physical arrest techniques, controls, and weaponless defense.

Tactics covers patrol techniques and procedures, crimes in progress, building searches, vehicle stops, use of deadly force, and shooting policy.

LAPD Specific Training includes Advanced Tactical Training, Mobile Field Force Tactics, Patrol Ride-Along, Mobile Digital Computer (in-car computer) Training, Alcohol Abuse, Administration of Discipline, Cultural Diversity, K-9 Operations, Air Support Operations, Bomb Squad, Community Policing and Problem Solving, Spanish Language, Civil Liabilities, and Sexual Harassment Training.

2010 BMW S1000RR- 2008 CBR1000RR
post #6 of 27 Old 01-02-2009, 05:56 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

speaking from experience, i would advise you to not get a BA in Criminal Justice, two-year degree is fine. It looks good on apps. And if this is really something you want to do, you're going to have to have patience in the process. it could take you many months, possible years, depending on the need of the department you're looking at. And in WA state the academy is, i believe, 16weeks. But the academy is the easy part.

"shiny, let's be bad guys"
post #7 of 27 Old 01-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

go to connecticut, and join the state police, they are looking for help. while you are there you could go to the coast guard academy to get your degree and get into the CG.

connecticut is the top 2nd in the country for state police academys too.

Last edited by Nick.INF; 01-02-2009 at 06:29 PM.
post #8 of 27 Old 01-02-2009, 07:14 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I am goging to start the academy jan 18 for the florida state troopers.The app process took me almost a year and a half.I have no u.s. service backgorund no criminal record an also no traffic tickets.I also have worked as a security guard for 5 years now.It is one of the things that help me get in.More so for the protection of private property which it is worded on the app i think. Good luck with everything man hope it all goes well.

ZX10R now i know why its called MONSTER
Go Ninja Go Ninja Go!

GIFSoup
post #9 of 27 Old 01-02-2009, 07:29 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to 05ZixxR
im about 3/4 of the way through the application process for the RI State Police and I have no military, law enforcement or criminal justice background. All I have is a four year degree and the desire to serve my state. The academy here is 26 weeks and is known as a real ball-breaker. I keep my fingers crossed everyday that they will allow me to attend in june 09.

to get an idea of the difficulty of becoming a RI state trp...there were over 2,000 people that took the written entrance exam and when all is said and done 35-45 canidates will be appointed.

full ahead hard and fast....
post #10 of 27 Old 01-02-2009, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Just trolling

Posting Frequency

I'm in Lafayette Indiana. But would like a general knowledge cause of a chance of moving out of state.. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
I'd change the oil in that...and all the time.
Panigale 1199S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in