Arai vs Shoei - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-18-2005, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Arai vs Shoei

Thinking about getting a new helmet. Ive only ever had Arai RX-XX. I love the fit and look. The one thing that bugs the shit out of me is the damn visor latch, since it never really locks down...at least not easily on either of the two Ive owned. The adsis sytem just seems dated overall. Plus, its gotta be noisier.

I have an old Shoei RF800 for chicks to wear. The whole visor mechanism from attaching your shield to opening and closing is so much better. The adsis system sucks by comparison.

I dont want to give up glove like comfort and fit, but if Shoei is close, I might pick up one of those instead of the Arai.

How close are the two in fit, comfort, and quality??

There is no spoon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-18-2005, 01:33 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

They're sized & shaped totally different. I don't think people choose between Arai & Shoei. Their head shape chooses for them. BTW, I have an Arai RX7 Corsair & couldn't be happier with it. No problems w/ the latch or visor after the 1st day.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-18-2005, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I dont know what it is, but when your moving along a a good pace, and maybe check over your shoulder, the damn thing always pop open. Not fun when you riding above a buck twenty.

There is no spoon...
post #4 of 11 Old 04-18-2005, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideMachine
They're sized & shaped totally different. I don't think people choose between Arai & Shoei. Their head shape chooses for them. BTW, I have an Arai RX7 Corsair & couldn't be happier with it. No problems w/ the latch or visor after the 1st day.
Yeah, Ive put a couple on, they felt more round to me.

There is no spoon...
post #5 of 11 Old 04-18-2005, 02:42 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

VEMAR ALL THE WAY. HAD ALL THE OTHERS IN THE PAST 30 YRS AND I LOVE MY NEW VEMAR> THE ONLY THING IS THE SHIELDS ARE A BIT PRICEY. ALSO THE BLUE THAT I GOT MATCHES MY BLUE Zx10. BOUGHT IT AT HELMET HARBOUR..
post #6 of 11 Old 04-18-2005, 02:59 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Yea basically your head chooses it for you...I like the X-11s but nothing fits better than the Arai...in fact, picking up my new Nakano 2 Green Rx7 this week! Wooo!

I've never had the problem you are talking about with my Quantum F. Been a damn good helmet actually, and the most comfortable thing I've ever put on. Shoei's get me right on the top of the head, hell I can barely get a RF1000 on without jumping up a size or 2. Shoei's tend to offer a bit more frontal area too, in case that is a consideration for you (ex: you have a huge nose :P ).

When choosing a size, make sure to focus on the top of the head and get one that is tight yet not pressing on your temples or hairline. The cheek pads on these things break in quite a good bit. If I put a new Large Quantum on then put my old one on, it feels like a whole size difference.

All the Arai's now offer fully removable liners (Signet GTR,Quan2,AastralX,RX7). I know the Shoei X11 does, the RF1000 only the cheekpads come out...not to sure about the Z-Two.

As far as Venmar, nice looking helmets. I tried on the carbon fiber one a month ago in an XL (I normally wear a Large). My only beef is on the back of the helmet. It has this hard foam piece that digs in where your spine meets your head....well...my head anyways. Not the helmet for me, though I still have freaky dreams over that CF helmet ;) .

-Frank

2005 RSX Type S Silver - Still in denial that I own a Honda
2004 ZX-10R Black - Sold :(
1968 Mustang Black 302 - Awaiting resurrection
post #7 of 11 Old 04-18-2005, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Well, aside from the shield problems im really happy with my Arai's.

Plus, this would match my bike nicely:
Attached Images

There is no spoon...
post #8 of 11 Old 04-18-2005, 07:21 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

JRS: You're not popping the shield locked. It's actually designed that way. Use your man muscles and press in (towards your face) on the tab. You'll hear a lound click. It's locked now. You put your thumb under the tab and push up. You've got to push pretty hard to make this work. Not so hard that's it's unreasonable, just hard enough to be intentional. Don't worry. You won't break it. I usually leave mine unlocked with light city driving so i can pop the visor up at lights easily. As soon as I get over 50 i snap it shut. It's a good system and I can guarantee it won't come open with your head checks if you snap it.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I was gonna get an Arai, never found one I really liked........for the money that is. I went and got a Suomy and let me tell you it is sweet. The shield locks like you want and is even adjustable so you can get an airtight seal. The Shoei doesnt fit me well, seems the way the helmet is shaped it curves down around the chin area. So when I turn my head it hits my shoulder. They're all good just depends what feels the best on your noggin.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-18-2005, 06:37 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to kaw808
Well let me help you out! I happen to have both and I like them both but the arai is much more comfortable!
Here's what they look like with your bike:

Last edited by kaw808; 06-01-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in