Any WELDORS out there? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 07-10-2006, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Any WELDORS out there?

Trying to learn Welding by myself at home. I am more book smart than instruction so school is not an option for me. Although I have been soldering for more than 20yrs and had many Air Force specialized schools I know nothing about welding on other metals. I have many skills but welding has always held me back from doing more and feel I need that skill to mesh with my other skills. I bought a book already that I just started reading to get familiar before I buy a welding machine(think I will mess with mild steel and Aluminum mostly) but thought I would look at what any you welders out there say. I have many tools already that can cut, clean, and smooth out metal, but don’t won’t to spend a lot for my first welding machine…just want to practice and make some projects first. Any advice will be appreciated…thanks…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I know there are some of us who can help you out, but there are so many different options out there, we need a little more info before we can help. Are you after a m.i.g., t.i.g., s.m.a.w. (stick welder), o.a.. If you help us out we can probably help you out.
post #3 of 24 Old 07-10-2006, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorderma
I know there are some of us who can help you out, but there are so many different options out there, we need a little more info before we can help. Are you after a m.i.g., t.i.g., s.m.a.w. (stick welder), o.a.. If you help us out we can probably help you out.
I am thinking Mig is best for me right now or the most versatal method to mess with most metals. I am not going to build race cars soon but just little projects and move up from there.

BD...if you changed the Title from "Weldor" to "Welder" the book I am reading the Author preferes to be called "Weldor"...I know you were trying to help if this is so but would like to become a "Weldor" one day..not a "Welder"
post #4 of 24 Old 07-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Green Hippie

Posting Frequency

check these out
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/handler140.html

VAE VICTUS!

RIP James R Patterson 6/3/30-5/26/09
post #5 of 24 Old 07-10-2006, 08:06 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

blue d., Im a welding inspector, and certified aws 6gr, 3g, 4g and 1g, flux core, inspector #05050314. If you even think for one second to take a stick electrode to your bike, DO NOT. Tig, its all aluminum minus some engine parts and your front and rear sprocket (stock). What do you need to weld? soldering is a completely diff. animal. Let me know what you want welded. As a 1st welding machine, i would highly recommend a Miller bobcat 600, or Lincoln, Ranger 8. Gasoline powered, generator included, mig, tig, stick all in one w/ reverse polarity.
post #6 of 24 Old 07-10-2006, 08:07 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyzx10r

I took my aws welding inspector seminar at hobart. Cols. Ohio.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Still here

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil
I am thinking Mig is best for me right now or the most versatal method to mess with most metals. I am not going to build race cars soon but just little projects and move up from there.

BD...if you changed the Title from "Weldor" to "Welder" the book I am reading the Author preferes to be called "Weldor"...I know you were trying to help if this is so but would like to become a "Weldor" one day..not a "Welder"
So the welder is the machine and the Weldor is the person huh, did not know that.

I believe if you get the right gas mig welder, you can upgrade it to a Tig welder pretty easily in the future. I want a plasma cutter but have no justification as of yet.

Sarah Palin and friends can call it a snow machine all they want but Yamaha, Polaris and Bombardier plus the related magazines all seem to call them Snowmobiles.

Snow machines create snow on ski slopes. Just sayin'
post #8 of 24 Old 07-10-2006, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja2k5
blue d., Im a welding inspector, and certified aws 6gr, 3g, 4g and 1g, flux core, inspector #05050314. If you even think for one second to take a stick electrode to your bike, DO NOT. Tig, its all aluminum minus some engine parts and your front and rear sprocket (stock). What do you need to weld? soldering is a completely diff. animal. Let me know what you want welded. As a 1st welding machine, i would highly recommend a Miller bobcat 600, or Lincoln, Ranger 8. Gasoline powered, generator included, mig, tig, stick all in one w/ reverse polarity.
Thanks ninja2k5...the only thing that has ever been welded on my bike is the Kick stand and believe that's steel...I hated paying for that for something I thought I could learn myself but don't know...are you saying only TIG will work on a modern bike? I am not looking to weld on my bike mainly, but many things, like brackets for my bike to be mounted. Or a security arms to mount to the roof of my house for a better picture/location to view on my security camera's, or make a go-cart for my son...see there are many reasons to weld...I just want to get started. Thanks for the suggestions on the models. The front cover of my book is using a Lincoln.
post #9 of 24 Old 07-10-2006, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10Miami
So the welder is the machine and the Weldor is the person huh, did not know that.

I believe if you get the right gas mig welder, you can upgrade it to a Tig welder pretty easily in the future. I want a plasma cutter but have no justification as of yet.
yeah, Miami...the guy that wrote the book said he preferes to be the Weldor as the person, but Welder is also associated as the person as well as the machine.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-10-2006, 08:27 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil
yeah, Miami...the guy that wrote the book said he preferes to be the Weldor as the person, but Welder is also associated as the person as well as the machine.
hence the reason i changed it but i can see by the rant it didn't sit well so i'll gladly change the title back so as not to upset the weldor! or is it welder?

BD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in