Any VW or Audi guys here - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-20-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Any VW or Audi guys here

So my wife is pregnant with our second. We currently have one 6 year old daughter, a Silverado and a 2 door civic. The Honda is a pain in the ass alone with 6 year old and we're getting ready for the new born. We both really like the newer Passat (2010+) and the CC. Anything we need to look for with all the different engines, recalls or anything with the two. It looks like the 5 cyl is common in the Passat and the 2.0t is common in the cc. My wife was hooked on the Chevy Malibu so thankfully u got her looking at the VW.

65”, pos
8.67 @ 154mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-20-2016, 08:57 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I bought a loaded 15 Jetta TDI 6-speed last year and I freaking love it! No issues, outstanding gas mileage, but the maintenance costs are not cheap lol.

2016 Ninja H2 - CANADAS Fastest 1/4 - 8.34 at 169mph - 208.4mph in the mile. Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Full Polished Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm 7-11", Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, Evotech Fork Sliders, Yoshimura Tail Tidy

2011 ZX10R - SOLD
post #3 of 11 Old 03-20-2016, 09:02 PM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

If I were going to buy an Audi or VW, I'd get a diesel. A couple of friends that own them love them, have a eleventy baziillion miles on them, and they still run like tops. As boosted said they do get great mileage too.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-20-2016, 09:19 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
After owning a few jettas over the years, I'll never touch another one. Built like shit. They drive nice, a lot like other German high end cars. They fall apart though. I'm talking things like paint coming off the radio buttons, window controls, headliner coming unglued and falling down, emissions equipment malfunctioning, CV joints going bad, automatic transmission slipping, lights burning out, etc. The list goes on, and that doesn't include the general maintenance. The freaking oil filter is a cartridge that's only available at the dealer for $16 and if you don't have their special tool, is a pita.

There's a lot of crap I dealt with on them. My wife liked the cars a lot and they did drive pretty good. I preferred the old 2.0T to the new I5 though. That motor just isn't very spunky or fun. But all said and done, I won't get another one or recommend them. Not a fan any longer.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 11 Old 03-20-2016, 09:39 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I am shopping for an Audi S5 2013+? Anybody on here own one? Quattro is a must in Canada

“Ride like you are invisible.”

Last edited by badexample; 03-20-2016 at 09:58 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-20-2016, 09:48 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
After owning a few jettas over the years, I'll never touch another one. Built like shit. They drive nice, a lot like other German high end cars. They fall apart though. I'm talking things like paint coming off the radio buttons, window controls, headliner coming unglued and falling down, emissions equipment malfunctioning, CV joints going bad, automatic transmission slipping, lights burning out, etc. The list goes on, and that doesn't include the general maintenance. The freaking oil filter is a cartridge that's only available at the dealer for $16 and if you don't have their special tool, is a pita.

There's a lot of crap I dealt with on them. My wife liked the cars a lot and they did drive pretty good. I preferred the old 2.0T to the new I5 though. That motor just isn't very spunky or fun. But all said and done, I won't get another one or recommend them. Not a fan any longer.
A friend of mine lost the whole tranny on the highway on his Jetta. Got if fixed by the dealership , sold it and bought a Honda Accord and never looked back. Sad, that we don't have much diesel options out there. I hate the look of the newer VW.. they look like a fucking toaster with wheels.. designed by Maytag. They are getting sued for 12+ billion with their emission drama.. the future is not that bright for them lol. Was looking for the Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel here .. the engine option is only available in the expensive trim.. Fuck, I don't want A/C in the backseat lol. It is ridiculous.

I test drove the newer Jetta 6 speed. Holy shit batman turbolag.com. Shitty sound system and clunky Nav. I also test drove the Passat Diesel. The interior is fugly and you don't feels special driving this .

The newer Mazda 6 and Honda Accord V6 are better options. The Mazda is a gas sipper. As good as the diesel. Both fun to drive as well.
SkyDork likes this.

“Ride like you are invisible.”

Last edited by badexample; 03-20-2016 at 09:59 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-21-2016, 04:39 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Bought a Corrodo brand new back in the day. Put in a chip. A 16psi supercharger pully. Cold air intake. Complete exhaust. Throttle body. You get the idea. Dyno'ed at 258. Funnest car I ever drove. I kept it 8 years and loved it. I drove the crap out of it. It was darn near bullet proof.

post #8 of 11 Old 03-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to eurichs07
I have a 6 speed 2011 GTI 2.0T and have put 80K miles on it and love it. Average 30mpg and have 275hp 300tq with an APR tune and exhaust. Only issue I have had is carbon build up on the intake manifold and valves because it is direct injected. Common on all 2.0T VWs and they cover replacing the intake manifold under warranty up to 120K. Besides that no issues and practical yet fun hatchback. I would love to have a TDI as well.

My girlfriend has a 2015 Mazda 6 and I am pretty impressed by it too. She gets 35.5mpg in a large sedan and the build quality seems pretty good for the price she paid.
badexample likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-27-2016, 12:15 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
After owning a few jettas over the years, I'll never touch another one. Built like shit. They drive nice, a lot like other German high end cars. They fall apart though. I'm talking things like paint coming off the radio buttons, window controls, headliner coming unglued and falling down, emissions equipment malfunctioning, CV joints going bad, automatic transmission slipping, lights burning out, etc..
I would have never purchased an older VW. They were definitely built like shit, especially the older diesels. The new DSG transmissions are very hit or miss which is why I went with a manual. I am just over 60,000km's now with mine and its been fantastic. Obviously a lot can happen in another 200k lol!

Each car manufacturer has their issues. I had a 2007 Pontiac G5 before and it was great for me. A friend had the same car and it was nothing but problems.

A buddy of mine bought a brand new Accord V6 back in 2014 and the motor was gone at 40,000km's. Another had a new Civic with transmission problems. Had a friend buy a new BMW X5 that spent it's first month and a half in the shop trying to diagnose a problem.

Every company has issues, sometimes it's just a matter of if you got a Monday car or a Wednesday car lol.

2016 Ninja H2 - CANADAS Fastest 1/4 - 8.34 at 169mph - 208.4mph in the mile. Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Full Polished Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm 7-11", Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, Evotech Fork Sliders, Yoshimura Tail Tidy

2011 ZX10R - SOLD
post #10 of 11 Old 03-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED View Post
I would have never purchased an older VW. They were definitely built like shit, especially the older diesels. The new DSG transmissions are very hit or miss which is why I went with a manual. I am just over 60,000km's now with mine and its been fantastic. Obviously a lot can happen in another 200k lol!

Each car manufacturer has their issues. I had a 2007 Pontiac G5 before and it was great for me. A friend had the same car and it was nothing but problems.

A buddy of mine bought a brand new Accord V6 back in 2014 and the motor was gone at 40,000km's. Another had a new Civic with transmission problems. Had a friend buy a new BMW X5 that spent it's first month and a half in the shop trying to diagnose a problem.

Every company has issues, sometimes it's just a matter of if you got a Monday car or a Wednesday car lol.
The ALH diesel engine is a tank. I've worked on quite a few and think they are great engines. If you keep on the maintenance schedule you won't have any major issues and can outlast the car itself. The plastic and rubber wiring and connectors are another story however. They become very brittle over a short time and literally fall apart in your hands. You are correct about the Monday/Wednesday build too. One car can never have an issue but the exact same one next to it can be the stuff nightmares are made of. That's for anything though to be fair.
BOOSTED likes this.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in