Any CNC programmers or people familiar with vertical milling? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-12-2006, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Any CNC programmers or people familiar with vertical milling?

My company is looking at getting a vertical milling machine in the next 4 to 6months. We are to cheap to hire an actual programmer or journeyman, so I see this a golden opprotunity. I will probably go to local tech center for convienience, but would like to know if someone could point me in the right direction to get familiar with terminology, techinque etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

sounds like a place I use to work at, talk the owner into buying mastercam or possibly gibbs or worknc software and send you to a class. good luck
post #3 of 7 Old 11-12-2006, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyeninja
sounds like a place I use to work at, talk the owner into buying mastercam or possibly gibbs or worknc software and send you to a class. good luck
Thanks for the info.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I was trained on mastercam back in college seven years ago. I don't really remember how hard it was to learn, but I've recently started programming on Gibbs cam. Very easy. Hopefully you have some kind of background in the field before you jump in head first. Talk to the machine teghnology instructors at any schools around there. They could be a big help. What brand mill are you looking at buying? Be carefull with it. We have a mori-seiki that'll rapid at 1400 IPM, it's so fast it makes your head spin. Good luck.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Well, if your company is cheap. Don't consider Mastercam(several thousand dollars just for basic functionality, tens of thousands for the better parts of it).

3-Axis is not hard at all. If you want to go cheap, get Rhino for CAD with a CAM add on.

Heck I remember programming 3-axis milling in a text editor about 10 years ago(I do 5-Axis Simaltaneous milling for turbomachinery components now). It all depends on how much money you want to spend, how much time you have to program parts, how much time you want them to be on the mill, how many copies of the part... etc...

If your boss is cheap and you want powerful intuitive software with support, go to rhino3d.com. Get their Rhino CAD software for about $900, and add on a CAM modul. It will be more than enough. I've been a machinist and a CNC programmer for over 10 years now, this is my oppinion. You will have to come to your own conclusion.

Good luck!

Last edited by ShortBus; 11-12-2006 at 09:24 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-12-2006, 09:28 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

pm sent...

If you're not living on the edge, your taking up too much space!
post #7 of 7 Old 11-13-2006, 12:45 PM
FAF
Rent this space

Posting Frequency

I used to use Metalsoft and G_Coder professional, but the best way to learn is to master your G ,M , I ,J, P codes , this will give you better knowledge of what exactly the programme is doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in