Am I in the wrong here? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Am I in the wrong here?

So I sold my laptop yesterday. A nice aluminum MacBook. I told him that it is in great condition, the battery is still strong, last me at least a movie. Told him it was reformated, the OS was deleted and Windows 7 installed. Not a scratch on it, originally spend $1400 on it in 2008.

I go to his house. Really nice guy, nice house has his 3 year old passed out on the couch. He looks at it, starts it up. Tells me he read online that he will have to change some Bios to get the Mac OS back in there. I get the money, BS some more with him about graphic cards, BF3 etc. I like they guy.

I wake up the next morning with a text from 1am to call him in the morning.

I call him he tells me that, he tried the OS operating system CDs and they don't work because of the reformat. He tells me the battery only lasts 45 minutes and that when he removed that battery (for some reason) he was trying to remove the HD and the screws are stripped.

He was seeing if I would take it back. I was nice and polite but I told him no way. I was honest in the description, the battery always last me a movie or at least 2 45 minute Fringe episodes.

He kept pressing so I got frustrated and hung up. He called twice and I felt bad for the guy so I answer. He went on about the Mac OS not installing due to the reformat, the hard drive and the battery. I told him I am sorry but I am not going to take it back after the sale and after you tinkered with it. This went on for another 10 minutes and I keep saying there is no way I am taking it back.

He finally said good buy and we got of the phone. Two minutes later he texts.

I am really disappointed I thought you are a stand up guy.

I text back : I am sorry you are having buyers remorse but I was 100% honest regarding everything. When buying from Craiglist it is the buyers responsibility to make sure the product is 100% satisfactory, I was in no rush. And frankly I don't appreciate the implications that I am a liar and a cheat.

He text back : LOL buyers remorse, karama is a ***

I text : Is that a threat

He : No man I am not that ways. It's all good I hope were being honest and didnt know about the issues with this. I will deal with it and buy a batt.

Me : I can tell you that I often sit in bed and watch full moveis with bat to sparce. I sincerly hope it works out for you.

Him : It will I called apple and they said to bring it in and they could help me get OS back on. Sorry for being crappy on the phone, just bumed out.

I feel bad for the guy but I did not lie to him. I don't know if his wife is pissed or he got worried about not being able to install the OS at first, but the battery worked and I never touched the HD in the past.

Why do I still feel bad?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 AM
formerly GHOST RIDER

Posting Frequency

You disclose all of what you know to him before the sale, what eles could you have done? It sucks (buyer) but shit happens. I'll tell you what, take his family out to a nice dinner if it makes you feel better..

Never forget who helped you!
Never forgive who fu*ked you.
Doing a trackday is like "SEX", no matter what happens you'll want to hit it again..
post #3 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUN1 View Post
You disclose all of what you know to him before the sale, what eles could you have done? It sucks (buyer) but shit happens. I'll tell you what, take his family out to a nice dinner if it makes you feel better..
I consider buying him a battery, then again I did disclose everything. I think he got freaked out about the OSX formatting, and ran the batter on Maximum Performance with full brightness or just bsing me.

post #4 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 01:07 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

He bought it as is. While it was his, he tampered with it and you chose not to buy it back, sounds reasonable to me. I would just check up on him in a week or so if you feel bad.
post #5 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

I don't see a problem re installing an OS on a hard drive that has been formatted.. If naything he will just have to DL new drivers if anything.... But thats kinda how re installing a new OS is. YOU FORMAT the hard drive first.. I wouldn't feel bad man. You worked with him best you could and were straight up and honest.
post #6 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 01:35 PM
Slo
Is still Slo

Posting Frequency

Garage
You feel bad because your a good guy. Don't worry about it though.

I tried to sell an XBox 360 that had been sitting for a couple of months with no useage. Never had issues with it. Guy brought his little brother to possibly purchase it, friggin thing froze up when he tried to start it up at my house!!!

Obviously he left without buying it, I felt bad having him think I was trying to sell a broke 360. And it was for his little brother....since the parents had no money, he was trying to get him something nice for his bday.

I ended up being able to start it a few minutes later, told him to come back, gave it to his little brother for free and told them to check out the warranty. He let me know a month or so later they warrantee'd it out and got it fixed or replaced, can't remember now.

2015 ZX10R - Archer flash+goodies - Arrow - TechSpec lock kit tank pad - Spiegler lines
CL Pads - 520 kit - LSL sliders & rearset - Yoshi case guards - custom seats - Gyrocam GoPro 4 Silver
post #7 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 04:25 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Isn't it possible that with the new format that the settings aren't optimal and killing the battery? I deal with that a lot on the Panasonic toughbooks. Guys come in complaining that it only lasts an hour, give them a new battery and change the settings to what they are supposed to be. Suddenly it works for 4 hours before needing a new battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
I'm glad I'm a stripper, the money keeps coming in! lol
post #8 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick10 View Post
Isn't it possible that with the new format that the settings aren't optimal and killing the battery? I deal with that a lot on the Panasonic toughbooks. Guys come in complaining that it only lasts an hour, give them a new battery and change the settings to what they are supposed to be. Suddenly it works for 4 hours before needing a new battery.
I agree. People wanna bake the cake and eat it too!! They want the bright screen and loud speakers. but want the battery to last forever as well...:headshake
post #9 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo View Post
You feel bad because your a good guy. Don't worry about it though.

I ended up being able to start it a few minutes later, told him to come back, gave it to his little brother for free and told them to check out the warranty. He let me know a month or so later they warrantee'd it out and got it fixed or replaced, can't remember now.
I think that's the case, I just needed affirmation.

That was really nice of you to give the Xbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick10 View Post
I am not sure how he was running it. I told him to change the performance settings to balanced or power savor and it would last me atleast hour and a half. He said he did but still ran 45 minutes, I don't believe that. The day before I watched couple of 45 minute episodes on Fringe running on battery with power left to spare. The more I think about it the more I am over it. I think he did have buyers remorse or his wife chewed him out. Cause he even said, yeah I wanted to take care of this before she gets home.

post #10 of 27 Old 05-22-2012, 05:53 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Maybe he bought it and then realized he needed the money for bills or didn't tell his wife and when she found out she flipped on him.

I had that happen once when I worked in an engine shop. Guy brought in valves to be custom cut to a specified size on a lathe then have the faces reground into it. We told him no problem, but it will be billed by the hour and we can't guarantee how long it will take. He was cool with it. We did the job he came in and picked it up, was very happy with the work, paid for then left. He went out into the car and we saw him talking to his wife for a few minutes then he came back in demanding a partial refund bc it was too expensive and even got to a point he tried to lunge over the counter to grab my boss. Obviously his wife freaked on the price and told him it was too much and had to get some back.

But yea people on the internet are like that all the time. They get all excited about a product and they read your description and they are good with it and maybe they even create their own mindset or expectation of what it is and in the heat of the moment they are just happy to have it then they realize their interpretation was off a bit. Or maybe he thought he could easily load OSX on then realized he had no idea what he was doing (like why would you pull the HDD out to load an OS?) I've sold a few things on eBay and had full descriptions and pictures and people buy it, then they try to get me to refund it. Unless I have it listed as refundable I say no. One guy filed a complaint about a phone I sold saying it wasn't as described even though it was in great detail and almost like new, plus it was listed as-is no refunds, but eBay sided with him non the less and I had to refund him and I lost out on all the eBay and PayPal fees and had to relist it again. Same listing and second person was completely satisfied.

2008 ZX-10R | Black | Arrow Headers | AreaP Slip-on CF | K&N Filter |GUTS ECU Flash By Guhl Motors | Block-Off Plates | Fender Eliminator | Clear Alternatives Integrated Taillight | Rifleman's 1/5th Throttle Insert | Speedohealer | Pro-Grip 719s | Vortex Bar Ends | Puig Z DB Windscreen | CBR1000 Mirrors | Vortex 520 Sprockets -1/+1 | RK Gold 520 Chain | Galfer SS Lines | Pazzo Shorty Levers | Vortex Gas Cap | Rebuilt Damper | Lightech Rearsets | Much More To Come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in