Air compressor question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Air compressor question

What's a good size air compressor to keep around in the garage? For the simple impact gun use, tires etc etc.

I found a good deal on a 2hp 8 gallons for 25 bucks. Not sure if that's too small or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 04:01 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
What's a good size air compressor to keep around in the garage? For the simple impact gun use, tires etc etc.

I found a good deal on a 2hp 8 gallons for 25 bucks. Not sure if that's too small or not.
Too small. The tank isn't big enough to keep up with the impact. To fill a tire would be fine but running air tools it would be worthless.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/99a6ceeb
^Magazine my bike is in^
Facebook 465motorsports
Sponsors-Core Moto, Indy Ducati, 465 Motorsports, Seats By Tommy, Blingrockets, Sportbike Lights, Pro Kote Indy, True Finish, Indy Ducati.
Wrecked. Body mods; broken shoulder, #2-#12 ribs broken, 2 leg fractures, 2 broken teeth, broken wrist, road rash, 3 day coma.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 04:29 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

If your just going to run an impact now and then, a 15 gallon type should do fine. If you going to use steady running air tools like a die grinder, sander, or something along that line then look for 30 gallons or more. I dont know if your in the market for something new at all, but if so check all the reviews you can. There are a LOT of crappy compressors out there. If you buy a lightly used one make sure ask the original owner if it was broken in properly. That is one of the most common mistakes that new owners make, is not reading the manual. Almost all compressors need to be ran for 10 to 30 minutes (depending on manufacturer)with the relief valve open for proper break in and piston ring seating. Many people dont and you will get a compressor with a really short life span.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 04:56 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

8 gallon is tiny IMO.

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2003 1500 Meanstreak Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #5 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 05:18 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeks View Post
If your just going to run an impact now and then, a 15 gallon type should do fine. If you going to use steady running air tools like a die grinder, sander, or something along that line then look for 30 gallons or more. I dont know if your in the market for something new at all, but if so check all the reviews you can.

IMHO even a 30gal is small for steady use of air tools. I have a 33 gal and mostly use it for blowing air and some impact gun, but I use a die grinder on occasion and had it regulated down to like 45psi doing a port and polish and I still had to take breaks here and there to wait for the pressure to build back up.

I don't use it often, but if I did use it more I'd prob go for a 60gal or something.

The key factor to look at is the CFM rating. The tank size will affect the CFM, but CFM is more important than tank size. A higher end compressor with a 60 gal tank will produce a higher CFM than a cheapo.

2008 ZX-10R | Black | Arrow Headers | AreaP Slip-on CF | K&N Filter |GUTS ECU Flash By Guhl Motors | Block-Off Plates | Fender Eliminator | Clear Alternatives Integrated Taillight | Rifleman's 1/5th Throttle Insert | Speedohealer | Pro-Grip 719s | Vortex Bar Ends | Puig Z DB Windscreen | CBR1000 Mirrors | Vortex 520 Sprockets -1/+1 | RK Gold 520 Chain | Galfer SS Lines | Pazzo Shorty Levers | Vortex Gas Cap | Rebuilt Damper | Lightech Rearsets | Much More To Come
post #6 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeks View Post
If your just going to run an impact now and then, a 15 gallon type should do fine. If you going to use steady running air tools like a die grinder, sander, or something along that line then look for 30 gallons or more. I dont know if your in the market for something new at all, but if so check all the reviews you can. There are a LOT of crappy compressors out there. If you buy a lightly used one make sure ask the original owner if it was broken in properly. That is one of the most common mistakes that new owners make, is not reading the manual. Almost all compressors need to be ran for 10 to 30 minutes (depending on manufacturer)with the relief valve open for proper break in and piston ring seating. Many people dont and you will get a compressor with a really short life span.
Oh. Good to know. I was getting ready to buy one myself and never would have even thought of that. Thanks for the advice.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-10-2010, 10:05 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Brat i agree with you completely. I have a good quality 30 and when im doing a lot of grinding i have to take a break now and then as well. However im not doing it all that often, or i would have a 60 or so. Mine is on wheels and upright, so it still does not take a ton of space, and is movable if needed. I also didnt want one that uses 220, as i dont have a hookup for that where i live now (i rent).

Anyhow im babbling for no good reason, but yes i agree with you completely. I just didnt think anything more would be necessary for the OP's questions. Good looking out though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Unless Scout says dont do it. Then, really, just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
I know its blistering fast but you cant outrun ugly.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-11-2010, 01:06 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have a 6hp 30 gallon craftsman in the garage have had it almost 8 years, I have run a D.A. with but it works it pretty good, as far as impact and air ratchets not a problem.

ITS BETTER TO BE HATED FOR WHAT YOU ARE...
THAN LOVED FOR WHAT YOUR NOT..................
post #9 of 9 Old 09-11-2010, 09:44 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

You could also just plumb another tank....it will take longer to fill of course but your pressure will drop slower as well. My father ran a setup like this for some time and it worked pretty good.

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2003 1500 Meanstreak Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in