Air Compressor... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 09-24-2006, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
I'm here WAY too much..

Posting Frequency

Air Compressor...

I'm in the market for a good air compressor. I have 3 quads, 2 cars and 1 motorcycle, all of which I do most of my own work on. I'm sick of using hand tools and busting my ass when air works so much better. I dont know much about them though. Maybe some of you can help out. I dont need anything HUGGEEEE, I have limited space to put it. It's going to need to run an Air Ratchet, Impact Gun, HVLP Spray gun, maybe eventually a motorcycle lift but not immediatley... Thats about it.. The impact gun will be for car tires, sprocket nuts, etc etc etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-24-2006, 08:34 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Unfortunately, the uses you have listed require more than a compact compressor and tank are going to deliver.

I have the Lowe’s special, which is a Husky 26 gallon with a 5.5 hp motor. It is designed to set upright so as not to take too much space.

To be honest, it's a great help and has an oil less motor, etc., etc., but even with the size it still runs a fair amount when I use an air gun or ratchets.

HTH
Phil

Dress for the slide & not the ride
post #3 of 25 Old 09-24-2006, 08:34 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I would pick out the air tools you want to buy and then pick a compressor that will be able to handle your tools. Don't forget to plan for future tools. Being a guy you will have to buy other tools you never considered once you get a compressor and some basic air tools. What size compressor runs a jackhammer????
post #4 of 25 Old 09-24-2006, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
I'm here WAY too much..

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusnuts
Unfortunately, the uses you have listed require more than a compact compressor and tank are going to deliver.

I have the Lowe’s special, which is a Husky 26 gallon with a 5.5 hp motor. It is designed to set upright so as not to take too much space.

To be honest, it's a great help and has an oil less motor, etc., etc., but even with the size it still runs a fair amount when I use an air gun or ratchets.

HTH
Phil
Hmm.. Does yours run the tools I mentioned? What are the specs I should be looking for? (Sorry, I just discovered I'm fuckin ignorant to compressed air).. lol. Lowes has a 3.5hp, 35 gallon one for 419... But I'm not sure if thats good or bad.. More horsepower = better? More capacity = Better? Oil Lubricated = Better?
post #5 of 25 Old 09-24-2006, 09:08 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I have 4. {own a construction co. } first off let me start by saying i hate harbor freight. ok now thats done.
uhh the makita ones fall apart. the rigid ones can take a beating but designed to be a pain in the ass. uhhh the one in my shop now is the cat's meow! it is a husky pro from home depot. cost alittle bit but man this thing is nice. small enough to move but comes with 26 gal tank. So you can beat up on it a bit too! cant say enough good things about this one. been REALLY impressed! {and i usually blow a air compressor up every 3 months or so!} but havent done a bit of maintence on this one! TAKES A LICKIN AND KEEPS ON TICKIN!

I got tiered of buying go fast parts.... So i got a turbo! now i need go slow parts!
If it aint modded it aint yours!
post #6 of 25 Old 09-24-2006, 09:20 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshark
Hmm.. Does yours run the tools I mentioned? What are the specs I should be looking for? (Sorry, I just discovered I'm fuckin ignorant to compressed air).. lol. Lowes has a 3.5hp, 35 gallon one for 419... But I'm not sure if thats good or bad.. More horsepower = better? More capacity = Better? Oil Lubricated = Better?
Well, mechanical air tools are rather inefficient. The one good thing is that they all require the same standard psi rating of 90. The compressor you mention is fine. I was a pseudo mechanic many years ago and we had huge Kaiser compressors, so I guess it just surprises me how much these little guys have to run (compared to the Kaisers that is).

Unless you get the tools with the compressor, I would recommend purchasing them used via Ebay. Ingersoll Rand (IR) makes 1/4 and 3/8" ratcheting air ratchets and IR, Chicago Pneumatic (CP) and Mac make great 1/2" air guns. I have all Snap-On air tools and both my 1/2" air gun and the 3/8 ratchet stink. The gun goes through triggers and the ratchet has no self ratcheting mechanism (swiss cheese knuckles).

And the oil less motor is cool because it means less maintenance (think they all come that way now). You will still have to oil your tools though.

Last edited by circusnuts; 09-24-2006 at 09:24 PM.
post #7 of 25 Old 09-24-2006, 09:22 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 speed
cat's meow! it is a husky pro from home depot. cost alittle bit but man this thing is nice. small enough to move but comes with 26 gal tank.
Yep, that's the one I have too.

post #8 of 25 Old 09-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

I have a Husky brand compressor, too, but I bought mine at Home Depot, and it has a 32 gallon tank. It sounds similar to the one circusnuts has. It can sit vertically so that it doesn't take up too much space.

My die grinder will slowly drag the pressure down. Other tools are fine.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #9 of 25 Old 09-24-2006, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
I'm here WAY too much..

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusnuts
Well, mechanical air tools are rather inefficient. The one good thing is that they all require the same standard psi rating of 90. The compressor you mention is fine. I was a pseudo mechanic many years ago and we had huge Kaiser compressors, so I guess it just surprises me how much these little guys have to run (compared to the Kaisers that is).

Unless you get the tools with the compressor, I would recommend purchasing them used via Ebay. Ingersoll Rand (IR) makes 1/4 and 3/8" ratcheting air ratchets and IR, Chicago Pneumatic (CP) and Mac make great 1/2" air guns. I have all Snap-On air tools and both my 1/2" air gun and the 3/8 ratchet stink. The gun goes through triggers and the ratchet has no self ratcheting mechanism (swiss cheese knuckles).

And the oil less motor is cool because it means less maintenance (think they all come that way now). You will still have to oil your tools though.
So you're saying that all the air tools require a sustained 90 PSI? That goes against my assumption the the more PSI = better tools... What makes one Impact gun more powerful than another if they both run on 90 PSI? I was under the impression that more pressure from the compressor = a more powerful tool.. So a 9 million PSI compressor would be able to remove tighter bolts than a 2 million PSI compressor (obviously exagerated).. Am I wrong to assume this?

Thanks for the replies!
post #10 of 25 Old 09-24-2006, 09:46 PM
Green Hippie

Posting Frequency

I have a 60 gal upright dual stage does'nt take up a lot of space and keeps up with my paint gun and air sander its a del-air but I've seen other 'labels' on the same equipment

VAE VICTUS!

RIP James R Patterson 6/3/30-5/26/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in