Age considerations - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Age considerations

I am nearly 62, have been riding the 10 for 2.5 years (9 2000 and 9 1995 and others beforehand) and still enjoy it and feel in full control over this machine.
I like very much its nimbleness and the way I "dance "with it on the mountain roads - I am sure you all understand what I mean.
Recently I started to think that perhaps, considering my age, I should move to something else - like the zx14, but I am afraid that I'll miss the 10.
Are there any other old guys like me here who may have some thoughts on the subject?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 08:23 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

If you want a more comfortable set up try some Heli bars or others like the Vario bars.
post #3 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonz
If you want a more comfortable set up try some Heli bars or others like the Vario bars.
I think the 10 is still comfortable to him, he is asking if there are any safety issue because of his age. Wise question; If you still feel in control of your machine I would say no. I am sure there are lots of older riders in the world. Rock on man..

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

2006 ZX10R (Black)
post #4 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 08:52 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I'd rather be 62 and sober riding this thing that 21 and have had half a twelve pack!
Just know your limits and season to please with that throttle!!

You just told me I got 10 more years..

My bike won masterbike...did yours?
I didn't think so...

post #5 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 09:01 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The way I feel sometimes at 31 I figure I will be on a sport/tourer by 60....If I live that long.
If I were still riding the 10 at 62 and was still comfortable on it I think I would stick with it till there wasnt any doubt that I wanted a change, sounds like you have some doubt.
post #6 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

im 49 and plan on having a sportbike as long
as im able to ride - i do like riding some of my
other bikes sometimes but will always want to
have a sportbike to play on and as others have
said in this post just respect the hp, that goes
with any age

steved57
post #7 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizx10r
I am nearly 62, have been riding the 10 for 2.5 years (9 2000 and 9 1995 and others beforehand) and still enjoy it and feel in full control over this machine.
I like very much its nimbleness and the way I "dance "with it on the mountain roads - I am sure you all understand what I mean.
Recently I started to think that perhaps, considering my age, I should move to something else - like the zx14, but I am afraid that I'll miss the 10.
Are there any other old guys like me here who may have some thoughts on the subject?
Sir, I idolize guys like you who defy the common misperception of age! I'm only 38 and I continue to believe that when you stop living, you stop living. My grandfather started his 3rd career as a COP in Florida at age 75 and he's now 90 (Not a COP anymore) but he's still full of piss and vinegar.

Just like BlackisFaster said, if you feel like you're still in control and there are no comfort issues, I would stay with the 10, otherwise the aggressive sport tour ZX-14 might fit your bill. By the way, I too LOVE the way you can "Dance" with the nimble 10

Good Luck

2005 ZX-10R
2002 FXST CUSTOM
2001 KX 250
2003 CRF 450R (Sons)
2005 KXF 250F (Sons)
2005 KX 85
2003 XR50 (108cc)
2006 KLX 110 (Daughters)
post #8 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 09:37 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonz
He said the bike was just fine the way it is, no need for Heli bars

I'm 48 and the bike works great for me.
post #9 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 10:12 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

I'm only 59 and am down to only riding 25,000-30,000 per year. I figure I'll get me a ZX-14R style bike when I turn 80 and really start to slow down.
post #10 of 22 Old 10-21-2006, 10:16 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizx10r
I am a couple of years shy of your age and find the this subject really interesting. The only difference I find between us and younger newer riders is that I factor in common sense derived from years of riding and knowing what can happen when you don't do this.....

This is no way a flame but as an example I normally ride a route which looks benign enough but is extremely dangerous when taken for granted...there are some days when i feel like cruising up this road and others when I go a little "faster" some on the board will understand that feeling of wanting to go faster than other days...

well some of the newer riders that discover this road think to themeselves "wow what a friggen discovery" and feel this need for speed at every turn and straight with total disregard of the environement. As an example there is a straight where you can easily attain on these bikes 135 to 140, unfortunately at the end of the straight is this tight lefthander where there is always water and gravel coming off the mountain...well this road usually claims one person a month...unfortunately in the last month and a half it has been particularly gruesome three in one weekend,....

and the squidlets never learn.....last weekend a group of about 15 came up the mountain, I saw them in my mirror slowed to let them pass, and they went by like hah we own you...so I follow the group up trailing the last at a safe distant and whats he do with his brand new gixxer 750 runs wide on a lefthander and slams into the mountain...

so our experience and common sense more than make up for any reaction time you may think you are losing....

keep riding, we are the ones who are helping keep the sport alive...how many people have you met that ride for two or three years then get out of it...seems like every four or five years I am riding with a completely new group of riders...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in