Zx10rs are frustraiting - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 Old 09-07-2018, 08:11 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

What LDH said! You don't have to be the fastest guy out there. You just have to focus on the fun you can have within the limits of the bike.

That being said, I guess fun is a relative term. I ride in the slower groups on track since I'm so scared to crash my street bike but it's still hella fun for me.
michael4012 likes this.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, geared (-1/+0), Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, Ohlins NIX30, Lightech adjusters. Bestem carbon. 50,000km+ and good so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 Old 09-08-2018, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
What LDH said! You don't have to be the fastest guy out there. You just have to focus on the fun you can have within the limits of the bike.

That being said, I guess fun is a relative term. I ride in the slower groups on track since I'm so scared to crash my street bike but it's still hella fun for me.
I hear what your saying about relative fun. But for me i only get fun from pushing a bike near its limits.
I have lots of fun on corner entry where i feel untouchable and sometimes i make the apex lol.
But on corner exits i just get frustration.
I try to avoid 1st like the plague.
1st is very hard to use on tracks like the one in video where i could use 1st 5 times per lap. It would either spit me off or id hit nutural at some point throughout the day.
I have tried 1st and found this out.
I still had a couple of rear end slips using second.
Using no tc has nearly killed me a few times so o use tc2 most of time
post #23 of 43 Old 09-08-2018, 04:50 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Change the cassette for a KIT part typically taller 1st closer 2-5 and a taller 6th, but you can have what ratios you want its a cassette so its easy to change ratios, you could also just change the ratios in some of the gears you have as stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 43 Old 09-08-2018, 08:10 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz96 View Post
Gearing.

Another reason to change gearing is to avoid 1st gear like the plague. The dangers of hitting neutral while braking from 120-40 can be serious! You count on engine braking on the track and to find yourself in neutral accelerating is not a good feeling. Especially using autoblip/QS you risk hitting neutral. Personally I avoid crossing over neutral anytime I'm on track!

His 2nd gear with his gearing change is probably comparable to 1st gear stock.

thanks, i knew there had to be a smart reason and this makes sense... but a lot of those corners hes coming out 2nd at 6k or so where the bike is a dog... so he has to tradeoff adding more down low and losing some up top?
post #25 of 43 Old 09-08-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

2nd gear at 6k is also a good thing because at maximum lean angle i dont want high bhp so as i start to lift the bike up the revs are getting high and it comes on strong.
But the peak torque of my bike is 11k revs.
So im riding on not much grunt up till the higher revs.
In which time all the other 1000s have gapped me even though they can be running higher gearing.
The ones that dont gap me are because i get on the power earlier or because they too have a zx10.
Ive noticed this on every trackday ive done on it.
There is a vid somewhere on youtube with r1 v zx10r on track comparison. They said the same thing that on the slow hairpin the zx10 looses nearly a second i believe.
I do have fun on track but i always get a frustrated feeling seeing the competitors bikes pull on me
post #26 of 43 Old 09-10-2018, 06:33 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Sorry dude, if other bikes are leaving you, it's you.

If you've tried everything with the bike, look at yourself. Probably cheaper to work on as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NSS1000_Champs.png
Views:	31
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	419763  
evilaugust likes this.
post #27 of 43 Old 09-10-2018, 07:52 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz96 View Post
Gearing.

Another reason to change gearing is to avoid 1st gear like the plague. The dangers of hitting neutral while braking from 120-40 can be serious! You count on engine braking on the track and to find yourself in neutral accelerating is not a good feeling. Especially using autoblip/QS you risk hitting neutral. Personally I avoid crossing over neutral anytime I'm on track!

His 2nd gear with his gearing change is probably comparable to 1st gear stock.

I havenít ridden the Gen4 much but thereís no issue with using 1st on my Gen5, donít know if Iíve ever had it go into neutral during up or down shift. I use it in the last corner at Chang international braking from 5th gear at about 240km/hr. If I could gear the bike high enough without hitting the limiter on the straight Iíd use 2nd but thatís not an option for me if I want quick laptimes.
post #28 of 43 Old 09-10-2018, 08:07 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Ok well I have hit neutral going into a hairpin that I was downshifting to 1st gear with stock gearing and I blew the corner but kept bike on rubber side. Since then I have replaced gearing and haven't met a corner yet that 1st gear is needed. It may be the tracks I've run but with -1,+2 no need for 1st gear. I never said you can't I just use my experience as to why I choose not to use 1st gear!
post #29 of 43 Old 09-10-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Arghh View Post
Sorry dude, if other bikes are leaving you, it's you.

If you've tried everything with the bike, look at yourself. Probably cheaper to work on as well.
What you fail to realise is them kawasakis were nothing like the bikes we ride.
One of them riders lives close to me and mss built his bike.
It was very well sorted within the rules of superstock of course but they used 1st gear alot more with mss gearboxes that were refreshed regulary and modded traction control settings.
Something us normal blokes cant afford.
Even though danny buchan won again on a gen5 he did so purely on his tallent.
At the same track as i did last weekend he was getting left behind out of the slower corners just as i was.
Some tracks arent as bad but this particular track with its many hairpins really shows the weaknesses.
My zx10r is all polished up hoping to be px tomorrow for a gen3 s1000rr sport.
No more excuses on corner exit if i get it but corner entry will need a bit of working on to match the zx10
post #30 of 43 Old 09-10-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoadWarrior View Post
thanks, i knew there had to be a smart reason and this makes sense... but a lot of those corners hes coming out 2nd at 6k or so where the bike is a dog... so he has to tradeoff adding more down low and losing some up top?
This is a friends s1000rr in the vid below on the same track in 2nd gear nearly down to 4k revs but it punches out the corner.
Its only a few seconds into the clip.
It really is night and day compared to zx10.
Not rider tallent at this point as we always do simular lap times but as i keep saying zx10r has not much grunt so have to make up time elsewhere
https://youtu.be/BSi9jgP1hq0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in