Gen 4: 2011-2015 won't shift into second gear - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore
 
Older Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 5,939
Posting Frequency
           
won't shift into second gear

I just picked up my bike from the shop - they installed a new chain.

Now it won't shift into second gear. And shifts are VERY hard.

I adjusted the clutch all the way and no change.

Suggestions?

Older Guy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 11:10 AM
Champion Rider
 
belkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: OKC
Posts: 405
Posting Frequency
  
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older Guy View Post
I just picked up my bike from the shop - they installed a new chain.

Now it won't shift into second gear. And shifts are VERY hard.

I adjusted the clutch all the way and no change.

Suggestions?
If they just installed a chain you may want to check the chain slack. Could be to tight causing the hard shifts. I would be taking it back to them.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

~Woolich ECU Flash/Log Box/AutoTune~Driven Block Off Plates~Woodcraft Frame sliders~Cox Radiator Guard~OEM Seat Cowl~Tinted Hotbodies Venom Windscreen~Lightech Chain Adjusters/Axle Sliders/Spools~Sato Rearsets/Race Hooks/Bar Ends/Reservoir Covers~Pazzo Shorty Levers~Engine Ice~Motodynamics Rear Turn Signals~Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock~R&G Case Savers~M4 Street Slayer Exhaust~Ohlins Race SCU~-1 +2 520 Driven Sprockets~520 DID Gold Chain~
belkins is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 11:14 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod
 
SkyDork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 13,489
Posting Frequency
           
Garage
Hey, OG.

So, they just replaced your chain? That's it? Nothing they were doing would really affect the transmission like the symptoms you're describing. They likely would be into the countershaft sprocket area which means removing the sprocket cover. To do that, it helps to remove the shift linkage and throw arm. Have you made sure that the throw arm is on there correctly and 90 degrees to the rod? Is the throw arm interfering with the cover at all? Posting pics might help.

Also, remember that the PNF prevents shifting to 2nd gear unless the rear wheel is spinning. I'm assuming that the problems related to shifting are when you're riding it and not with it sitting still on the stand.
GreenOne and dudewhrsmybike like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes




SkyDork is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore
 
Older Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 5,939
Posting Frequency
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Hey, OG.

So, they just replaced your chain? That's it? Nothing they were doing would really affect the transmission like the symptoms you're describing. They likely would be into the countershaft sprocket area which means removing the sprocket cover. To do that, it helps to remove the shift linkage and throw arm. Have you made sure that the throw arm is on there correctly and 90 degrees to the rod? Is the throw arm interfering with the cover at all? Posting pics might help.

Also, remember that the PNF prevents shifting to 2nd gear unless the rear wheel is spinning. I'm assuming that the problems related to shifting are when you're riding it and not with it sitting still on the stand.
They replaced chain and sprockets. And just taking it from the shop, it wouldn't shift...so it had to do with what they did. I got home and put in on my rear stand and tried adjusting the clutch all the way and it still wouldn't shift into 2nd with the rear tire spinning.

Older Guy is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 12:27 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod
 
SkyDork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 13,489
Posting Frequency
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older Guy View Post
They replaced chain and sprockets. And just taking it from the shop, it wouldn't shift...so it had to do with what they did. I got home and put in on my rear stand and tried adjusting the clutch all the way and it still wouldn't shift into 2nd with the rear tire spinning.

Yeah, I figured they did the sprockets also. That requires the countershaft sprocket to come off, but they wouldn't need to touch the clutch nor the transmission to do that. Have you had the chance to look at the shift linkage? Does it connect properly? What was the reason for not turning it around and going right back to the shop when you couldn't get it out of first?

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes




SkyDork is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore
 
Older Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 5,939
Posting Frequency
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Yeah, I figured they did the sprockets also. That requires the countershaft sprocket to come off, but they wouldn't need to touch the clutch nor the transmission to do that. Have you had the chance to look at the shift linkage? Does it connect properly? What was the reason for not turning it around and going right back to the shop when you couldn't get it out of first?
Guy was backed up and it was close to closing time...I thought it was maybe just engine being cold but all the way home it was an issue.

I'll probably take it back today or Saturday morning.

Older Guy is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 01:53 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod
 
SkyDork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Posts: 13,489
Posting Frequency
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older Guy View Post
Guy was backed up and it was close to closing time...I thought it was maybe just engine being cold but all the way home it was an issue.

I'll probably take it back today or Saturday morning.

I get that. That's cool. But you should just check the linkage before you take it back. It could be as easy as a 2 min correction on that and you'd be back in business. Something externally is dragging and causing your issues.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes




SkyDork is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 09-27-2018, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore
 
Older Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 5,939
Posting Frequency
           
I took it in and the tech was a bit defensive that he didn't touch the shift rod when he replaced the chain and sprockets. They tested and said, yeah, it's ain't right...they adjusted the shift rod and increased it's length and it works perfect now. Had no idea what it happened but it works...

The owner of the shop liked my Pazzo shorties...LOL

Older Guy is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 09-28-2018, 08:51 AM
GP Star
 
Capncalyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,033
Posting Frequency
Images: 1
    
Id mark that place off my list. Was surprised what i could do with the cheap HF chain tool.

Chain n sprox is good beer drinking time. Or whiskey.
ddipaola likes this.

Live Til You Die - QOTSA

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.

We all will feed the worms and tree's so dont be shy
- QOTSA
Capncalyx is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 09-28-2018, 10:34 AM
WSB Rider
 
ddipaola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Macomb, MI
Posts: 623
Posting Frequency
 
Garage
I have a feeling they didn't line up the indicators on the splines correctly - located on the change-shaft. One position off can really make a difference. I just recently did that to myself (installed 1 tooth out of alignment) and I had a hard time shifting like you. Make sure the indicator on your shift-rod pivot is aligned with the change-shaft one. They either A: reset the alignment correctly or B: adjusted your shift rod length and sent you on your way. Make sure they went with A.

When in doubt... send it!
ddipaola is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gen 4 will not go into gear/won't catch 4th, 5th gear BigVee General Motorcycle Discussions 9 08-07-2015 12:42 AM
Gen 2: 06 zx10r won't shift into 2nd gear and up tmints Performance and Tech 4 08-27-2012 08:09 AM
Gen 3: > My bike is dropping into neutral at high RMP's in second gear... Gun_Slinger The ZX-10R 14 08-23-2011 07:39 AM
Bike won't go into gear. Please help. JP636 Performance and Tech 20 09-03-2010 09:56 PM
difrence in 4 into 1 an 4 into 2 into 1 wnc rider Performance and Tech 5 06-27-2010 03:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome