Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Will this wiring work for integrating my turn signals?

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  RUNNINHORN 
#1 ·
Ok, im trying to save $120, by splicing these wires myself. There is a guy that charges $120 to integrate their turn signals into their rear tail light, but looking at this pic I just snapped, I am pretty sure I can splice these wires together(correctly of course) with some cheap NAPA wire splicers and save some coin. Here is a pic---

The grey connector and wires went to the license plate light, and the other two black connector wires went to their corresponding turn signal. I see three wires going into the tail light, anyone know which wires I should splice together? I had a light tester, but the moron I loaned it to 5 months ago still hasnt returned it, I may have to run to wal-mart and buy another one just to be sure. But thought id post and ask here just in case anyone recognized these wires by color and could tell me........:)

See less See more
#2 ·
You will short the bike out if you do so.There is a tail light wire,a brake wire,and a ground wire.There is no possible way you can flash just one side of the stock tail light.We have weeks of reaserch and development in this light and we found the whole light need to be redone with red and amber bulbs and of course the M&R optics switching circuit.

If you want to flash the whole thing what you are trying to do may work,If you dont short something out.

www.motorcadeunl.com

#3 ·
It doesn't work that way ...

Three wires into the taillight assembly are (1) tail light, (2) brake light, (3) ground. As far as I can tell, there is no left/right split the way there is in a taillight assembly that uses two conventional bulbs.

In any case, those "taillight integrators" are more than just spliced wires. There's circuits in there to stop power that's coming from a "signal" source from getting fed back into the "brake" circuit and vice versa, and generally there's something so that if the "turn" and "brake" signals are on at the same time, the result is "off" rather than "on" (otherwise the light will not flash with the turn signals).

#5 ·
Ok, just got back from Wal-Mart, here is the only Taillight Integrator I found---

and here is a close up of the left side (in)

On the opposite side there are 4 Flat outs marked--
---GROUND
----TAIL
----RT TURN
-----LFT TURN

so its 5 into 4

(here is a closeup of the box it was in)

Do you think this will work?

I just went and bought a Light Tester, and here are the wire breakdowns in from this picture--

A)The GREY wire on the far left is the LEFT TURN SIGNAL

B)The GREEN wire on the RIGHT is the RIGHT TURN SIGNAL

C)The RED wire next to the yellow/black wire is the live wire
lighting the license plate light

Now, ive confirmed that the taillight integrators alot of people have been buying in the past is similiar to this, but not sure how close--do you think seeing this INTEGRATOR, it could work?

Well, I would buy a flat 4 connector to connect to the INTEGRATOR, and Ive got 3 wires coming from the REAR TAIL LIGHT--

So any guess as to which wire should be soldered to which? Ill try splicing first, then when and if its correct, will solder.

Also, on the other side, where i have 5 wires going into the integrator, ive got 4 wires, and ag ground wire, much like this---

BRAKE---- -----BRAKE

TAIL------ ------TAIL

LEFT------ -----LEFT

RIGHT----- -----RIGHT

GROUND---- ------GROUND

Think its cool to hook em up like that?

And on the flip side,

GROUND--- ---Black/Yellow Ground

TAIL--- ---RED Tail Light

RIGHT Turn---- ----BLUE Brake Light

LEFT Turn-----

Here is where im a little stumped, ive got to go from 4 to 3, so which do I combine?

#6 ·
It sounds like you are definately barking up the wrong tree. That is an LED tail light that runs mutliple LEDs ona circuit board. Essentially one light.

Unless you plan on going in and modifying the trace lines and some other magic to seperate the LED banks, all you can hope to accomplish is turn the whole tail light into a blinker at the expense of your brake light or running lights.

The converter you bought is for standard incandescent stuff. And normally is used when you have a bike that has to bulbs in the taillight next to one another. As far as I am aware, a converter has never been successfully used on an LED tail light.

If nothing else, should you choose to proceed, this will be interesting and entertaining to watch.

The bike cost 10K, what is a few more bucks to get a sorted piece?

#7 ·
Erich said:
It sounds like you are definately barking up the wrong tree. That is an LED tail light that runs mutliple LEDs ona circuit board. Essentially one light.

Unless you plan on going in and modifying the trace lines and some other magic to seperate the LED banks, all you can hope to accomplish is turn the whole tail light into a blinker at the expense of your brake light or running lights.

The converter you bought is for standard incandescent stuff. And normally is used when you have a bike that has to bulbs in the taillight next to one another. As far as I am aware, a converter has never been successfully used on an LED tail light.

If nothing else, should you choose to proceed, this will be interesting and entertaining to watch.

The bike cost 10K, what is a few more bucks to get a sorted piece?
I know, I have already come to that conclusion, and what are you talking about "sorted piece"?

#8 ·
from looking around it appears that the tail light assembly needs to be modified in order to split the right and left hand side. Some cmpanies add amber LEDs in there and others leave the stock red LEDs only. But the pricing seems to be inline at about $110 or so. The INTEGRATOR or trailer wiring harnes works on a 2 bulb setup and not an integrated LED bank.

#9 ·
RUNNINHORN said:
I know, I have already come to that conclusion, and what are you talking about "sorted piece"?
Glad to hear that. I could feel your impending pain :D

By sorted, I mean coughing up the $120 for the one that is the new board and lights that someone has gone thru the pains to sort out. That is cheap when you consider the R&D and what your getting.

Or at least I think that.

Be glad, the ones for the R1 are like $200

#10 ·
Erich said:
RUNNINHORN said:
Glad to hear that. I could feel your impending pain :D

By sorted, I mean coughing up the $120 for the one that is the new board and lights that someone has gone thru the pains to sort out. That is cheap when you consider the R&D and what your getting.

Or at least I think that.

Be glad, the ones for the R1 are like $200
I am, thats why im having it done tomorrow for $110 :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.