Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

What brake pads are you running and why?

Gen 5: 2016-20 
10K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  axelZlo 
#1 ·
Time for some new pads and want to know what everyone is running and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#3 ·
I use EBC HH pads because they're really easy on rotors. From what I've read they're great for street use but not good for track use.

#5 ·
EBC Extreme Pro

For the experienced rider that demands the best, the Extreme Pro Brake Pad by EBC gives the ultimate in motorcycle braking feel and power. Extensively tested for over a year, the sintered pads use the latest technology and composition to give no compromise in performance and wear.

Features a blend of tungsten and moly metal and were developed after comparing with 7 major competitors' products.
With vent groove to prevent backplate deflection and possible de-bond. EBC uses a wide molded vent groove dividing the pad compact into two separate pucks.
Pad de-bond can happen after corrosion gets under the edges of your pads, EBC has a unique way to prevent this by using non-corrosive elements in the pad matrix that do not interact with the steel backing plates and using its revolutionary double compact system, which prevents backplate flexion and edge lifting which leads to pad de-bond.
Super fast bed in, friction builds to a 0.6 rating after 10 - 15 stops in heavy use.
Perfect stability over EBC's 300 stop Daytona rig test.
Extremely low in-stop variation, compare this with the previous market leader pads.
Great heat cycling ability, you let the pads cool down after the ride and the next day, they repeat the previous perfect brake performance. In other words they heat cycle perfectly.
Now ECE R90 Approved.

#10 ·
There is nothing wrong with them. But they are a compromise between cost, mileage, and performance. That doesn't mean there aren't better options out there. Brakes are like suspension, it's about "feel" in most cases and inspiring confidence. I prefer to modulate the front lever with 2 fingers and I like the initial bite when the pads make contact. The stock pads are a good choice, but only if they meet your needs. I prefer the feel and performance of the Vesrah.

Here is a good read put together by another member here. This is LDH's experience and write-up, so credit where credit is due. But my personal experience is pretty much in line with his. I have run most of those myself with the exception of the Carbone Lorraine and the Performance Friction ones.

ROGUE RACING Brake Pads Review Page

I know most people talk about EBC, but after using their HH pads in the distant past I'll never touch anything made my them. They were that bad. I won't ever put them on my bikes again and I would rather put steel plates on the bottom of my boots and put my feet down to stop.

#12 · (Edited)
Street I use EBC HH pads, right now I have a set of the EPFA's which work well but squeal a lot with light brake pressure, but on track I used the GPFAX's. After a full day of track riding, they'll get some fade by the last session though. Are there better pads? Yes. Do they cost literally twice as much? Also yes. So for the price point at its performance level, I like the EBC pads. They're a linear pad that bites hard and stays there, I'm not a fan of the more progressive pads. For street use EBC's don't get pushed to their fade point, you shouldn't be heating them up that much, so for street purposes I'd rather save the money. Race bike/race pace track days? I'd buy something better like the Vesrahs. Moderate track use? Still stick to EBC. Race pads don't work well on the street as they require heat to work properly, just like slicks. So it's not recommended to just buy "the best brake pads" because for your application, they may not be. Also, they will not work for beans in rain/moisture.

#14 ·
for track I use sbs dual carbon cheap pads costing me around 20 euro a track day max
Tryed different brands that also performed well but cost more and wore faster I dont like spending 50 euro or more a trackday on brake pads alone some dont last me 3 days…
The dual carbon is a track only pad that requires heat.
For road stock pads should be fine maybe even for track to:smile2:

#21 ·
Was using stock Gen4 pads and changed them for cheap knockoff Brembo. Lots of dust, and paint went away 1 week after street riding. A friend of mine used the same on s1000rr and they flew away during hard barking :D thrown them in a bucket and used Braking CM55 ever since. They last 2 months of track/street (80/20) but braking good.

Gonna try Versah this year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.