3Likes
  • 2 Post By SkyDork
  • 1 Post By gaz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 08-04-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Valve clearance check cost?

2012 zx10r is at 16000miles, looking for average cost on a dealership or shop checking valve clearance? If I run my bike till end of season am I risking engine damage if I don't get it checked now? Or is their recommendation Overkill within reason?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Gen 4 is more of a pain to adjust then any other gen. Shop probably easily charge 5/6 hrs labor or more. All mine were still in spec at 16500 when i checked

04 1000rr, 05 zx10 rocket...check out some of my work in my albums link.. https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/album.php?albumid=3114
post #3 of 10 Old 08-05-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97grnrs View Post
Gen 4 is more of a pain to adjust then any other gen. Shop probably easily charge 5/6 hrs labor or more. All mine were still in spec at 16500 when i checked
So are you saying I can wait another 3,000 miles and do it in the spring? Or do it asap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-06-2018, 06:00 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Every bike is different but I haven't seen many zx10 out of spec very far at 16k, if it's running and starts fine you should be ok

04 1000rr, 05 zx10 rocket...check out some of my work in my albums link.. https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/album.php?albumid=3114
post #5 of 10 Old 08-06-2018, 08:22 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Maintenance schedules are there for a reason. And that reason is to verify that everything is working as it should. "Better safe than sorry" is the old adage. It will be mandatory on some bikes and useless on others. Unless you do the checking, you'll never know. The problem is there is no way to classify this based on what others get. It totally depends on how the bike is ridden, how it's maintained in other areas, and what the starting point was. They set a catch-all value against the maintenance schedule to cover everyone.

It's not one of those things that you should stop riding for and rush out to do. It's also not one of those things that should be neglected for another 5k miles or more. Look at your calendar to find some free time, make an appointment in the future that fits that, and just get it done when that fits in.

It will likely take a shop the better part of a day to do it. Most of that time is stripping the bike. You can shorten that by stripping down the bike yourself and taking it to them ready to check. Otherwise it's likely to be a $5-600 or more job (depending on what they charge for shop rates) and what else they find. Strip it down yourself and you can cut half the cost of that off if you talk to the shop about it and they'll work with you.
dudewhrsmybike and tbolt like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #6 of 10 Old 08-06-2018, 08:29 AM
gaz
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

run a simple 4 cyl compression test to determine cylinder psi and balance, will tell u what u need to know as far as performance and being safe.
SkyDork likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-06-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Maintenance schedules are there for a reason. And that reason is to verify that everything is working as it should. "Better safe than sorry" is the old adage. :-) It will be mandatory on some bikes and useless on others. Unless you do the checking, you'll never know. The problem is there is no way to classify this based on what others get. It totally depends on how the bike is ridden, how it's maintained in other areas, and what the starting point was. They set a catch-all value against the maintenance schedule to cover everyone.

It's not one of those things that you should stop riding for and rush out to do. It's also not one of those things that should be neglected for another 5k miles or more. Look at your calendar to find some free time, make an appointment in the future that fits that, and just get it done when that fits in.

It will likely take a shop the better part of a day to do it. Most of that time is stripping the bike. You can shorten that by stripping down the bike yourself and taking it to them ready to check. Otherwise it's likely to be a $5-600 or more job (depending on what they charge for shop rates) and what else they find. Strip it down yourself and you can cut half the cost of that off if you talk to the shop about it and they'll work with you.
Thank you sir for your informative response. I will definately get it checked soon but definately not scared to ride it for a little longer. Thanks again!

Thank you sir
post #8 of 10 Old 08-12-2018, 06:00 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Call dealer for price.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-12-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Already did 350$ for checking another 100$ if needs adjusted...curious on what others charge
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Call dealer for price.
Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 Old 08-13-2018, 07:45 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasexy View Post
Thank you sir for your informative response. I will definately get it checked soon but definately not scared to ride it for a little longer. Thanks again!

Thank you sir
I would relax if I were you and get it done when you have the time on your schedule. In the meantime I wouldn't worry at all about engine damage by going over a bit.

The valves will typically tighten up a little (reduced clearance) over time due to valve seat regression and then stabilize. The first check is the most important for this reason but even if they are a little tight, it's not going to grenade your motor. The inspection schedule from the manufacture is very conservative IMHO to take into account the worst case scenario.

If you ran it way over and a valve or two tightened up excessively, the reduced clearance would hold a valve off it's seat and cause the loss of compression and hard starting symptoms mentioned earlier.

2016 ZX-10R KRT
2016 Ducati 959 Red
2015 CBR1000RR SP Repsol
2012 CBR1000RR Red
2011 ZX-10R Ebony
2009 ZX-6R Lime Green
2006 ZX-14 Passion Red
2004 VTX-1300C

"For we walk by faith and not by sight"
2 Corinthians 5-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in