Gen 4: 2011-2015 Track/Racer Question on Fuel Pickup - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-21-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Track/Racer Question on Fuel Pickup

Do you have issues with fuel delivery on track? This is an issue I noticed this year and may not even be related to fuel delivery.

At what fuel level(if any) do you start noticing delivery issues? AT Vir between 4 and leading to 7 I started to notice a slight stumble. Heading onto the front straight I noticed a slight brief stumble.

Yesterday at NCBike while at max lean the bike stumbled quite a bit really unsettling the bike.

The bike runs strong and does not feel down in power. I haven't noticed it with the bike straight up and down. Seems like it happens at lean or lifting the bike going to full throttle.

I will change plugs just because it is easy and relatively inexpensive.
check coil connections and seated properly
check sensor connections (kickstand, tipover)
Woolich qs(this works everywhere with no problems, maybe it is intermittent?)

Might be bad gas, but strange it seems to only happen in a potential fuel starve situation.

2011 ZX10R
2012 FZ6R
2012 TU250X
2013 ZX6R
2017 GSX-R1000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 08:03 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

check your traction control settings, might be too intrusive. could also be fuel cut off on deceleration (needs flashed to be deactivated). the fuel cut acts like a hesitation, when throttle position is changed down, up, down, up. also check the internal fuel filter and pump. race fuel left in the tank, or pump fuel with ethanol will clog the system. Ski

May we all, get to have a chance to ride the fast one, walk away wiser when we crash one, keep hopin that the best one is the last one.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-25-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I did think about traction control. I had it on 2. I don't remember it being intrusive enough to cut spark. I thought it just retarded timing. Leaned over and the bike missing or hesitating is not a good thing.

I do remember on TC2 with my ZX6 it did hesitate like that, but it did it straight up and down trying to accelerate.

When I get back I will go through the fuel system and plugs.

2011 ZX10R
2012 FZ6R
2012 TU250X
2013 ZX6R
2017 GSX-R1000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-26-2019, 01:03 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
make sure your fuel pickup filter is not clogged. Also make sure your fuel line is not kinked (once kinked its very hard to unkink and they're easy to kink).

Also are you sure you weren't at or near the reserve level? I know here at tracks like sonoma once your fuel light comes on you will be spitting and sputtering around the track.

AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
post #5 of 8 Old 04-26-2019, 01:34 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by realpsi View Post
I did think about traction control. I had it on 2. I don't remember it being intrusive enough to cut spark. I thought it just retarded timing. Leaned over and the bike missing or hesitating is not a good thing.

I do remember on TC2 with my ZX6 it did hesitate like that, but it did it straight up and down trying to accelerate.

When I get back I will go through the fuel system and plugs.
Sounds like the traction control. When you use it to bring a wheelie you can see how intrusive it can be. It's definitely enough to feel like a misfire.

The ZX6R TC is very sensitive. I watched it kick in going straight at wot and the front wasn't even close to coming up. It made me wonder if it even reads wheel speed or just kicks it on at wot.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-27-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I found the problem. Tank vent hose was pinched and now I have an imploded worthless tank. The bottom is creased and pulled. The sides had started to collapse as well. Crazy!

2011 ZX10R
2012 FZ6R
2012 TU250X
2013 ZX6R
2017 GSX-R1000R
post #7 of 8 Old 04-27-2019, 10:54 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
I found the problem. Tank vent hose was pinched and now I have an imploded worthless tank. The bottom is creased and pulled. The sides had started to collapse as well. Crazy!
Daaaaaamn that sucks!!!

AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
post #8 of 8 Old 04-29-2019, 12:16 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Damn, got here too late! I was going to say check the hoses! I had the same issue on my Gen3. I had both a pinched Vent and in separate case, pinched fuel line after I had picked up the tank checking for a wiring issue. Fits your description of issues.

I do have a black tank in my garage off my 2013 that I had a crash in 2016. There's a small dent on side above tank grip but no puncture. Was going to use as rain tank but now not really needed, let me know if interested.

2017 10RR
RIP - 2013 10R
RedSpade Racing
WERA 404 Novice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in