Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Torque Specs for the triple clmap nut??

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Ninja Dude 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what the triple clamp nut is supposed to be torqued to? Dealer told me 14.5 ft lbs. I was installing a scotts stabalizer and it said to torque the nut down to 86 ft lbs. Big difference......Please help
Thanks
Bert

#4 ·
It might be the way you phrase that. To me when you say "triple clamp nut", the first thing that came to my mind is the 4 bolts on the lower triple clamp. 14.5 ft/lbs sounds about right for those. Like SCZX900R said 58 ft/lbs sounds about right for the stock steering stem nut. But if Scott said 86, I would think that they know what they are talking about. I would go for the 86 ft/lbs since you are no longer "stock".

#5 ·
I was real specific when I spoke with her but that's not to say she was listening.
Had to take to stabelizer off because Scotts sent me the wrong mounting kit. Going back to stock until I get the new one. Talk about a wild ride. I had the fear of God in me when the steering locked up. Anyway, that's another story.
Going with the 56 ft lbs until I get the new kit. I'll be sure to call Scotts and find out what they recommend.

#6 ·
OK, guys. I'll try to put this to rest, as I've got the service manual right in front of me as I type this.

The 14.5 ft-lbs she referred to is for the Front Axle Clamp Bolts.

Steering Stem Head Nut torque is: 58 ft-lbs.

Lower Triple-Clamp Bolts torque is: 22 ft-lbs.

No offense, but F Scotts if they are telling you 86 ft-lbs for the steering stem nut. :evil: Especially since the nitwits sent you the wrong mounting kit, which by your statements, could easily have killed you. A differential of 28 ft-lbs from stock is WAY too much, IMO. :roll:

Hope this helps.

#8 ·
Time out. Scotts DOES NOT say the torque value is 85 lbs. They say a TYPICAL value is 85, and to check your own spec. 85 is typical. 58 is low and might even be a typo. That shit happens. Look at the spec for the drain bolt on a 98-99 R1. 36 fucking lbs or some insane number like that. Just about guaranteed to crack your oil pan. Please keep an open mind and don't misquote.

#9 ·
mad kaw said:
Time out. Scotts DOES NOT say the torque value is 85 lbs. They say a TYPICAL value is 85, and to check your own spec. 85 is typical. 58 is low and might even be a typo. That shit happens. Look at the spec for the drain bolt on a 98-99 R1. 36 fucking lbs or some insane number like that. Just about guaranteed to crack your oil pan. Please keep an open mind and don't misquote.
Agreed that there are plenty of typos in shop manuals. If 58 is a typo, it is a consistant one throughout the manual, tho. And no one mentioned (until you) that Scotts was saying typical. If that's the case, then that's a different matter altogether. :? I've never owned a Scotts, so not that familiar with their instructions. Don't they have model specific installation instructions with their mounting kits?

#10 ·
Ok, this is the exact quote from the Scotts Stabilizer intruction sheet.
"Torque the new nut to the factory setting, which is normally a minumum of 85 ft lbs."
That's still a big difference but since I can't get a tech manual from kawasaki yet, because they don't have them available, I went with the instruction sheet. Guess that was bad on my part. I can tell you all that 85 ft lbs is way too tight. Even with the stabilizer off the steering was in a slight bind. Hope I didn't do any damage. After I took the old stabilizer off I took a block of wood and a hammer and tapped on the steerin stem, to loosen it up again, then re-torqued it, with the stock washer and nut, back to 56 ft lbs. Everything seems to be cool for now.
Scotts is sending me another mounting kit, with little shims to raise the stabilizer up, but they did say they want the old one back so they can check it out and see what the problem was. Makes me wonder how much R&D they put into it.

#11 ·
Ninja Dude said:
I can't get a tech manual from kawasaki yet, because they don't have them available
:idea: FYI, they are available, as I already have one. Your dealer should have no trouble getting you one. And, mine was only $32! Compared to the $60 I had to pay for my Honda (954) manual, quite the bargain.

Part number is: 99924-1322-01, in case your dealer can't find it. :)

#12 ·
Man, I sure haven't had much luck with my local Kawasaki Dealer.....I called them a couple days ago and they told me the manuals weren't available yet. Thanks for the info. I'll call them tomorrow and order one.

#13 ·
Ninja Dude said:
Ok, this is the exact quote from the Scotts Stabilizer intruction sheet.
"Torque the new nut to the factory setting, which is normally a minumum of 85 ft lbs."
That's still a big difference but since I can't get a tech manual from kawasaki yet, because they don't have them available, I went with the instruction sheet. Guess that was bad on my part. I can tell you all that 85 ft lbs is way too tight. Even with the stabilizer off the steering was in a slight bind. Hope I didn't do any damage. After I took the old stabilizer off I took a block of wood and a hammer and tapped on the steerin stem, to loosen it up again, then re-torqued it, with the stock washer and nut, back to 56 ft lbs. Everything seems to be cool for now.
Scotts is sending me another mounting kit, with little shims to raise the stabilizer up, but they did say they want the old one back so they can check it out and see what the problem was. Makes me wonder how much R&D they put into it.
Manuals are available and have been for weeks. I ordered mine 4/9 and got it 4/14. Some canuck on egay has them on CD for $10. How much bullshit can one thread take?

#16 ·
Billybob said:
BTW- You can go to www.buyKawasaki.com and order the manual directly from Kawasaki. Did it for my 9R. Much easier than going to the dealer and faster.
I should have done that but I went ahead and ordered it through my local dealer. Come to find out that when I asked them about the manual he said hold on let me check the web site and see if they are available. Can you believe that? I'll remember next time I need something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.