Thought I'd give an update. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thought I'd give an update.

I talked to a guy named Rick today at Kawasaki's US distrib.

First question I asked is if CA models will come with the kleen Air system. The answer was yes, they will. That sucks, because now I gotta buy tubing, etc to remove that lame fucking smog shit. But it made a world of difference on my 636, so im praying the process will be similar.

Next question was about delivery date: He said that as of right now there should be the bulk of the first shipment delivered to the corperate by the first few days of feburary. After inspecting each, the dealers should obtain there first shipments roughly around Feb 14th.

Just two more weeks if thats true. Can't wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 03:24 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

kleen air sheiot.. me like 49st. So is that Feb 14th 05?

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
kleen air sheiot.. me like 49st. So is that Feb 14th 05?

BD
I wasnt sure so I called bike. HE SAID 06!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

That kleen stuff reduces power? If it dosent why remove it besides saving a few pounds...your saving the ozone layer :D

"Extreme...Life's too short not to be"

post #5 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 10:16 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Can anyone explain what the kleen air system is? I know it has something to do with motorcycle emmisions laws going into effect in 06' but thats all I know. :oops:
post #6 of 17 Old 01-27-2004, 11:48 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

andy I sent you a description of the clean air system to your box. It was straight from a kawasaki bulletin :D :D
post #7 of 17 Old 01-28-2004, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by big b
andy I sent you a description of the clean air system to your box. It was straight from a kawasaki bulletin :D :D
It's only for CA models. So if you are outside of CA you don't have to worry about it. But if you are inside there is a guide on www.kawiforums.com, just do a search for kleen removal and it shows the step my step removal instructions for a 636. I have to assume the process is much the same for the 10, but with larger hoses, etc.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-28-2004, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaJoe
That kleen stuff reduces power? If it dosent why remove it besides saving a few pounds...your saving the ozone layer :D
It doesnt kill horsepower really. Though some claim horsepower gains with its removal. It does kill however throttle response. In fact it can make throttle response down right choppy on the 636 anyways. When I removed it, I was one happy camper let me tell you. I didnt think it would make any difference, but people on the forum kept telling me it was worth it. So I spent the weekend tracking down proper hoses and clamps and they were right. Best 7.00 upgrade I ever made.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-28-2004, 03:38 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRacingZX6R
Quote:
It doesnt kill horsepower really. Though some claim horsepower gains with its removal. It does kill however throttle response. In fact it can make throttle response down right choppy on the 636 anyways. When I removed it, I was one happy camper let me tell you. I didnt think it would make any difference, but people on the forum kept telling me it was worth it. So I spent the weekend tracking down proper hoses and clamps and they were right. Best 7.00 upgrade I ever made.
Kawasaki use Kleen to describe the pollution system in their bikes. It relies on three separate system in CA , air injection into the exhaust ports, honeycomb catalyser in the exhaust and the third for CA only the fuel evaporation catch tank.

In the 49 state, Europe and other markets, the Kleen is just the first two. Air injection and catalyser. I am not aware of any differences with either the two or the full three components.

Remember the air injection only operates on the closed throttle under de-acceleration as soon as the intake vacuum rises the system closes. It has no effect under open throttle. Catalyser if badly design may affect power, but I have only seen slight power decreases if and when removed.

The CA models may weight a pound or more but I have never seen any manufacture claim less power for a CA model.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-28-2004, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRacingZX6R
Quote:
Kawasaki use Kleen to describe the pollution system in their bikes. It relies on three separate system in CA , air injection into the exhaust ports, honeycomb catalyser in the exhaust and the third for CA only the fuel evaporation catch tank.

In the 49 state, Europe and other markets, the Kleen is just the first two. Air injection and catalyser. I am not aware of any differences with either the two or the full three components.

Remember the air injection only operates on the closed throttle under de-acceleration as soon as the intake vacuum rises the system closes. It has no effect under open throttle. Catalyser if badly design may affect power, but I have only seen slight power decreases if and when removed.

The CA models may weight a pound or more but I have never seen any manufacture claim less power for a CA model.
You are correct as well as incorrect. The part you forgot however is where the air is being taken from and injected into. The original 636 Kleen setup has the intake ports changed slightly than the 49 state legal brothers which ultimately messes up the crankcase vacuum pressure all together. Having the crankcase properly pressurized is extremely important for acceleration as well as declaration. By using the Kleen setup on your bike it is indirectly hindering your crankcase pressure. This isnít including the three crankcase vents which right now are not functioning correctly because of in improper crankcase pressure. Itís been and will continue to be a well known fact that the Kawasaki Kleen system cause choppy and slower rev/throttle response. The average rider probably wouldnít notice. Neither did I until I performed the removal myself.

http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topi...erms=kleen,air

More information there if anyone is interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in