• 1 Post By ddipaola
  • 1 Post By evallarta1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-22-2018, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Suspension Discussion

Looking to upgrade the stock suspension on my Gen5. I primarily use the bike for "aggressive" street riding. Planning to track perhaps next season though in the novice group. I live in MI; the roads aren't perfect... but they're something I'd like to be a little robust to.

So, what are your opinions? What's your experience? Stock vs. Ohlins, Ktech, Nitron, Bitubo... etc.?

When in doubt... send it!

Last edited by ddipaola; 06-22-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-22-2018, 03:46 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

This is a slippery slope but here we.

Suspension is like tires, they are all good. The key is taking the time to learn and work with someone who knows the product.

So for you, you might want to know know better on who to work with in the Midwest.

Take me for example, Im in St. Louis and work primarily with twin tube shocks which would be K-Tech, Ohlins and Bitubo. TSE is out of Wisconsin and works with Penske. So most riders who come to me know I was a Factory K-Tech tuner for MotoAmerica and want info on K-Tech or other twin tube shocks. I vary rarely get inquires about Penske cause they all go to TSE. Before he moved, many people went to Ken Hall out of Chicago for Ohlins.

You mentioned you do track days. Well whomever is supporting those trackdays will probably be one you want to talk to as they will be giving you support. So if you buy a Penske but go to Midwest Track Days, there is only so much I can do for you. I dont carry Penske parts or springs. Just like buying Bitubo from me and asking Ken Hall to support it wont do much good.

Hope this helps.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #3 of 10 Old 06-22-2018, 05:19 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I spent $3,500 on Ohlins 30 cartridges, rear Elka shock and new springs and had it all set up for me.

I was sooo much faster on the track.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-22-2018, 08:33 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

All I can say is Suspension you will never regret , I just questioned it on my 17 Zx10R only cause I was thinking about wheels but really I was smoking crack cause upgrading the suspension will make the bike night and day difference. I can only tell you my experience with ohlins and i believe they are the best i just did there NIX 30 cartridge kit and Rear Shock on my Z900 for the street and some trackdays and what a difference the bike handles so much better turns in amazing i mean the bike is effortless to move around . This was going to a place that knows what there doing and for setup I mean one just getting the suspension tuned for you is a big big plus.. I am ordering all the ohlins stuff for my 17ZX10R now doing the FGR100 kit and the TTX rear shock the front comes with 3 sets of springs its a legit super bike setup. I have dealt with traxxion Dynamics they make a good kit and they deal with Penske for rear shocks also. I personally think Ohlins, Ktech , Nitron etc in that order.. but up to you
post #5 of 10 Old 06-23-2018, 05:24 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
My upgraded suspension for my track bike was going to the 5th gen setup lol.
renais and ddipaola like this.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-23-2018, 03:40 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Don't touch the bike; unless you're huge fat. OEM if perfect for small to normal guys with 175 pounds wet at top. Must be in shape; so much going on but Code hits on this well

here:

high end pros do what they do:

We're not at that level.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-24-2018, 08:34 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Don't touch the bike; unless you're huge fat. OEM if perfect for small to normal guys with 175 pounds wet at top. Must be in shape; so much going on but Code hits on this well

here:

A Twist of the Wrist Vol. 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding: Keith Code, Doug Chandler: 9780965045025: Amazon.com: Books

high end pros do what they do:

We're not at that level.
Sorry totally disagree one if your over 175 doesn?t mean your huge and fat lol secondly if your just gonna ride street yeah stock can be fine but for track the ZX10R can use work up front and in the rear. Doing suspension will never hurt it will only make the bike better and also make you a better rider
post #8 of 10 Old 06-24-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawilos17 View Post
Sorry totally disagree one if your over 175 doesn?t mean your huge and fat lol secondly if your just gonna ride street yeah stock can be fine but for track the ZX10R can use work up front and in the rear. Doing suspension will never hurt it will only make the bike better and also make you a better rider
Does Ohlins provide dif. color springs? I would prefer not to have a yellow combined with red and green on my bike haha.
michael4012 likes this.

When in doubt... send it!
post #9 of 10 Old 06-25-2018, 09:24 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddipaola View Post
Does Ohlins provide dif. color springs? I would prefer not to have a yellow combined with red and green on my bike haha.
Nope, but you can have any spring power coated to whatever color you want.
ddipaola likes this.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #10 of 10 Old 07-01-2018, 06:48 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

<opening can of worms, deliberately poking contents, fully expecting to be devoured by angry bloodworms>

You might also consider having your stock rear shock rebuilt/resprung by a reputable shop. Got mine done by Michael Alex
Best couple hundred I ever spent on my bike. If you're mostly a street rider as I am, you might decide you don't need to spend a grand or more for the Ohlins bling.
Total transformation of ride quality and confidence.

Thou Shalt Respect Thy 10, And Revel In It's Power, For It Is Good, And Plentiful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in