Gen 2: 2006-2007 Stripped starter clutch bolt :( - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 Old 08-19-2016, 02:07 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Over 20 years, in similar situations, with different bikes, if I absolutely have to, bike in neutral, I put a bit of wood with a blanket around it thru the rear wheel. Wood has a bit of give in it, and the blanket seems to protect surfaces. I'm always embarrassed by what looks like a half-ass way of doing something, but nothing has ever been damaged.
NinjaLife likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 08-19-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Perfect, I'm kinda leaning towards the wood with a blanket wrapped around it through the rear wheel, I may try the bike in gear and have someone hold the rear break but the blanket/wood route sounds just as good.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-19-2018, 03:58 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

How did you end up getting the stripped bolt out? I'm currently having the same exact problem with my zx6r.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 Old 07-19-2018, 04:02 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

How did you end up getting the stripped bolt out? I'm having the same exact problem right now with my zx6r
post #15 of 17 Old 07-19-2018, 01:42 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabailey View Post
How did you end up getting the stripped bolt out? I'm having the same exact problem right now with my zx6r
Big vice grip and sticking a bit in the groves of the starter clutch against the case to stop it from rotating from what I remember but mine wasn't stripped and I know what I am doing and I watched the case and bit like a hawk as I turned it to make sure it didn't mess up that end of it. Depending on how you clamp the vice grip you can either use the vice grip to apply force to turn or can use a long thick screw driver perpendicular though the vice grip to apply force to turn. Helps if you can clamp the vice grip real tight and you have to be very good with tools and be able to control how much force your putting in and see if the vice grip is holding or slipping, if it starts to slip you reclamp so it don't slip. Gono need a new bolt for sure.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-19-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabailey View Post
To be honest, I took it to a shop that I kind of trusted to remove the bolt. I didn't feel too good about messing with it myself, now that I think back about it I'm sure I could have figured out something but it was nerve racking just thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX10 View Post
Big vice grip and sticking a bit in the groves of the starter clutch against the case to stop it from rotating from what I remember but mine wasn't stripped and I know what I am doing and I watched the case and bit like a hawk as I turned it to make sure it didn't mess up that end of it. Depending on how you clamp the vice grip you can either use the vice grip to apply force to turn or can use a long thick screw driver perpendicular though the vice grip to apply force to turn. Helps if you can clamp the vice grip real tight and you have to be very good with tools and be able to control how much force your putting in and see if the vice grip is holding or slipping, if it starts to slip you reclamp so it don't slip. Gono need a new bolt for sure.
Ya know this might've worked out for me but at the time I wasn't sure of what to try nor did I feel too confident in my skills after that damn bolt stripped haha.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-20-2018, 01:07 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I got it out and it was nerve racking to say the very least. What i ended up doing was picking up a set of chromoly torx bits (I went with chromoly ones because they're a lot stronger and are therefore less likely to round out) and figure out which one would fit best which was the t50 in my case and gave it a good tap with a hammer and it came right out. Can't tell you how relieving that was. Thanks for the suggestions though, the vice grip method would've been more convenient because i wouldn't have had to take the cover off.
NinjaLife likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in