Gen 2: 2006-2007 Removing clutch basket - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-28-2018, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Removing clutch basket

Is there a trick to removing the clutch basket on a 2nd gen? I've pulled the bearing and the sleeve. I've still not got enough room to pull the basket or I've missed something somewhere.

As long as I'm starting a thread, I'm looking for a knock that sounds like it's in the clutch. It's been slowly getting louder over the years. I was expecting to find a basket with loose rivets. So far, I can't tell. The basket did slide a fair bit in and out. Maybe that means something.

06 10r with 35k on the clock. Never raced, no clutch ups, no abuse since purchasing used in 08.

Have a wheelie nice day!

Winter sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-29-2018, 01:09 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Do you mean the roller needle bearing and sleeve from the center of the flywheel??? if you have done all of that then with a pull outward dropping the wheel down and left onto the shaft it should come out wiggling bottom left out first, can you post a picture?
post #3 of 18 Old 10-29-2018, 02:55 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Sounds maybe silly, but is a crankshaft lobe blocking the removal of your clutch basket? On a gen 4 this can happen.
SkyDork, Kawasaki Brad and gaz like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-30-2018, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
https://youtu.be/NHRt91PFlfU

Basket

https://youtu.be/q6gQ9h3TEBI

noise. Now I'm wondering if it's up top and I had it wrong all along

Have a wheelie nice day!

Winter sucks.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-30-2018, 02:08 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
https://youtu.be/NHRt91PFlfU

Basket

https://youtu.be/q6gQ9h3TEBI

noise. Now I'm wondering if it's up top and I had it wrong all along

Yo! Spin the crank to TDC! the basket is interfering with the #4 connecting rod because it's not at TDC or BDC. You can kind of see that in the video of the flywheel being constrained. Rotate the crank to make it clear. The basket should come right off.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #6 of 18 Old 10-30-2018, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Oh, for crying out loud. I was in such a hurry to get this done that I completely forgot to set TDC. Thanks for the tip.

Have a wheelie nice day!

Winter sucks.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-30-2018, 03:45 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
Oh, for crying out loud. I was in such a hurry to get this done that I completely forgot to set TDC. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, don't beat yourself up over a simple mistake like that. That's our job as forum members! I mean...to help you out, not beat you up over it.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #8 of 18 Old 11-01-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlax Bunny View Post
Sounds maybe silly, but is a crankshaft lobe blocking the removal of your clutch basket? On a gen 4 this can happen.
Evidently, it's not a silly suggestion at all. You were 100% correct. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Yeah, don't beat yourself up over a simple mistake like that. That's our job as forum members! I mean...to help you out, not beat you up over it.
That's what I'm afraid of!

The basket and associated parts are all good. I've got troubles elsewhere. As time allows, I'll poke around further and update this thread. I appreciate the help/suggestions.

ETA I'm a big fat liar. Evidently, the basket is NOT good. The springs in the back are mostly loose. They're supposed to have a bit of preload on them per a local independent shop. The rivets are fine, and that was what I thought would be bad. Furthermore, there are the beginnings of grooves on the basket from the clutch plates. Initially, I thought they were nothing more than marks. With my fingernail, I can feel them. Sooo...... This is going to cost me a bit of money. I'll see if I can even get a stock basket and hope this solves the noise issue.

Have a wheelie nice day!

Winter sucks.

Last edited by Sasquatch; 11-01-2018 at 04:19 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 11-21-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I'm finally getting around to putting this thing back together. The 4 torque limiter springs need to be assembled correctly. Does this look right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181121_120055_1542830953814.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	420345  

Have a wheelie nice day!

Winter sucks.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I may be talking to myself at this point. Gen2 ZX10s are mostly extinct-I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road. In the event that someone stumbles upon this in a search one day, I'm going to keep updating the thread.

The bad clutch basket advice that I was given was absolute horseshit. He may have genuinely believed that's what it was-but it wasn't.

That annoys me double because I spent money I don't have on parts I didn't need. Now I'm going to have to spend more money that I don't have to dive deeper.

I can't even sell the thing with this noise unless I give it away. Heck, even in top shape, it's a high mileage almost 13 year old bike. I won't see much money from it anyway.

The old lady got a bit stern with me last night when I talked about selling. "We can't afford a new one and you can't be without a bike, so you have e to fix this." Ha! Like I needed another reason to know she was the right woman for me!

Have a wheelie nice day!

Winter sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in