Racing a street ridden 30K Engine - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-31-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Racing a street ridden 30K Engine

Is it doable or am I just asking for trouble?

I aim to pick up a Gen 4 with an aftermarket shock (since the stock one are rubbish) but it's got 30K miles on the odometer. Bike is treated fairly well but I fear that's when valve clearance checks come in and maybe I should go for something with lower mileage. Price is great though. I'm aware of the transmission issues but not sure if it will be trouble down the road.

Appreciate all the feedback I can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-31-2018, 03:19 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I ride my bikes on the street and race them. I had close to 30k on my GEN4 before I sold it and raced it its entire life, no problem engine wise. Can't say the same transmission wise. I have right at 30k on my GEN5 and race it. I'm no AMA pro but for club racing it's probably the strongest bike out of all the bikes I compete against. You should be doing your 2nd valve clearance check at 30k. Usually the 2nd one isn't off as much as the 1st one.

Last edited by tdh; 10-31-2018 at 03:25 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-31-2018, 05:14 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I had a gen 1 with 70,000 in 4 years, and had the original clutch.....I ran track days and ran the shit out of it...down one in the front too...ran like a fine swiss watch.

I have a gen 4 with 45,000 miles and had the valves checked at 20,000 and 38,000 miles - all in spec each time.

Same thing....run the crap out of it...mechanic said he never saw a cleaner inside of a motor. Reflash, removed secondaries, changed the gearing, Bazzaz fuel ..185 RWHP on Attack's dyno...bike definitely holds up under hard usage...I run a slow A fast B group.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-31-2018, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdh View Post
I ride my bikes on the street and race them. I had close to 30k on my GEN4 before I sold it and raced it its entire life, no problem engine wise. Can't say the same transmission wise. I have right at 30k on my GEN5 and race it. I'm no AMA pro but for club racing it's probably the strongest bike out of all the bikes I compete against. You should be doing your 2nd valve clearance check at 30k. Usually the 2nd one isn't off as much as the 1st one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older Guy View Post
I had a gen 1 with 70,000 in 4 years, and had the original clutch.....I ran track days and ran the shit out of it...down one in the front too...ran like a fine swiss watch.

I have a gen 4 with 45,000 miles and had the valves checked at 20,000 and 38,000 miles - all in spec each time.

Same thing....run the crap out of it...mechanic said he never saw a cleaner inside of a motor. Reflash, removed secondaries, changed the gearing, Bazzaz fuel ..185 RWHP on Attack's dyno...bike definitely holds up under hard usage...I run a slow A fast B group.
Great feedback guys, appreciate it.

One thing, is there any way round the transmission issues, is it just a matter of whether you get a good one from the factory? any preventive measures?
post #5 of 8 Old 10-31-2018, 06:14 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutsuryoku View Post
Great feedback guys, appreciate it.

One thing, is there any way round the transmission issues, is it just a matter of whether you get a good one from the factory? any preventive measures?
Put Microlon in it....look it up.

post #6 of 8 Old 10-31-2018, 06:15 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I had a spare transmission for my GEN4 so I had one all rebuilt and ready to swap out whenever I had problems. :) Have not had a single problem with the GEN5 and it even had a transmission recall. I think a lot of it might have been due to the quick shifter. I used a Bazzaz on the GEN4 and the GEN5 comes with a factory quick shifter that is VERY easy on the transmission. I actually felt a little better on the GEN4 when I didn't have transmission issues but knowing what I know now I would go GEN5. I had a full Graves exhaust with a Bazzaz setup on the GEN4 and was running 180-185HP to the wheel. The GEN 5 I am just running a Graves cat Eliminator and a flash and am running about 195 to the wheel.

Last edited by tdh; 10-31-2018 at 06:19 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-01-2018, 03:29 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

At the end of the day it's what your paying for it that reflectes a good buy or not, what's the service history like? Me personally I'd give it a good service inspection anyhow! The price for me would have to allow for that.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-01-2018, 12:11 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Racing is inherently dangerous and risky. Im not sure what else to say right now without sounding like a dick. Sounds like you arent very familiar with Kawi's or the big 4 in general - they are for the most part as we used to say, bulletproof . What kind of racing? Whats your history with bikes? With wrenching?

I dont see any problem with a maintained bike. If you get your hands on a used one you need to take the time to go through it and if you dont wanna do that then dont race it - or i wouldnt. Likewise if you dont intend on doing any maintenance yourself.

Live Til You Die - QOTSA

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.

We all will feed the worms and tree's so dont be shy
- QOTSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in