Outta gas - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-09-2015, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Outta gas

Thought I could make it, was using the fuel-used display thinking the tank holds 4.5 gallons, and when it showed 4.0 used, I figured I better get off the freeway sooner rather than later. Waiting at the stoplight in traffic, it ran out of gas.

I popped down the sidestand after putting in neutral and just started pushing it across lanes to the curb. I politely crossed two major intersections nice and legal-like in the crosswalk pushing my Gen 4 like it was something I did every day in the week. Big audience. No one even paid me any attention.

Pushed it up on the sidewalk and into the gas station, there was a pump free and filled it up. Took 4.07 gallons, the display is really accurate. It fired right up and I headed out.

Darn lucky it ran out exactly where it did, nice flat ground, light was red, gas station right there.

When it hits 4.0 gallons used, you had better be close to gas because it'll quit on ya.

I think I got 164 miles, seems to be averaging about 43 mpg overall on the freeway and around town.

In the mountains I got 39 even with the lower gearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-09-2015, 12:31 AM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

sorry but that gauge is not accurate......you hit 4gals it should run out around 4.5gals.

bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-09-2015, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
sorry but that gauge is not accurate......you hit 4gals it should run out around 4.5gals.

bloo
well it took almost exactly what the reading said, 4.07 gallons right to the filler neck

every time I check it at fillup, almost exactly the same as reading

anyway it did run out

maybe if I'd been able to slosh the tank around a bit I coulda got the last 0.5 gallon

oh yeah the low fuel warning light had been on for at least 40 miles, lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-09-2015, 07:28 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fang View Post
oh yeah the low fuel warning light had been on for at least 40 miles, lol!
The truth comes out!
post #5 of 8 Old 09-09-2015, 08:44 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have been riding without a low-gas indicator light almost ever since I got my bike, I just log my miles with the trip meter. I've ran out of gas twice before I realized I need to use the odometer to track my fuel, I know once I get around 100-110 miles it's time to fill her up. Pushing my bike sucks, I ran outta gas almost a mile away from home one day, tried pushing it home and said F-it. Too heavy lol. 2nd time I ran out I didn't know I was out of gas and had to go home and get truck and trailer.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-09-2015, 09:06 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Running the bike completely empty can and will damage the bike. The fuel pump uses fuel running through it to cool and lubricate the motor and rotor mechanism. Allowing the pump to pick up air can cause it to over heat and wear out sooner as it surges trying to maintain the pressure with air in the system. If it happens, there's nothing you can do about it. But it shouldn't be a habit of running it the the absolute mileage limit before refilling. And that mileage will vary greatly based on how you ride the bike, how much you filled it up with fuel, and each bike is slightly different.

Log the miles on the trip meter. When the light comes on, you have about 15-20 miles to find a refill location. For me that's around the 110-115 mile mark on the trip meter.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 8 Old 09-09-2015, 10:50 AM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Our tank will take 4.8 gallons when completely empty filling up the neck. Hot down there? Hate pushing this bike especially when hot. With the 17/45 mileage will be a bit worse, but not bad.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-09-2015, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Running the bike completely empty can and will damage the bike. The fuel pump uses fuel running through it to cool and lubricate the motor and rotor mechanism. Allowing the pump to pick up air can cause it to over heat and wear out sooner as it surges trying to maintain the pressure with air in the system. If it happens, there's nothing you can do about it. But it shouldn't be a habit of running it the the absolute mileage limit before refilling. And that mileage will vary greatly based on how you ride the bike, how much you filled it up with fuel, and each bike is slightly different.

Log the miles on the trip meter. When the light comes on, you have about 15-20 miles to find a refill location. For me that's around the 110-115 mile mark on the trip meter.
I end up "pushing" every bike I've owned to well beyond the reasonable limit to see just how far I can go.

But let me be clear about what I did; I was basing my risk on actual fuel used, calculated using the bike's onboard fuel flow metering, not mileage. Mileage alone is of course a highly inaccurate way to determine range as it can vary. I have found the Gen 4's fuel flow meter to be very accurate over the last 5000 miles or so.

This was a calculated risk; I did the same with my other bikes and stretched it right out to the last mile, never ran out. I was using strictly the mileage to calculate the range on "fuel light flashing". On this little sojourn I had reset the average mileage twice to figure out how far I could get on what "should have been" remaining in the tank. According to the specs and my calculations based on the data, this definitely should not have happened.

I was getting 39 mpg at speed over about a 100 mile run, mostly in 2nd gear. I reset the average mpg once I got back to the slab, and was seeing 43 mph average.

When I left the house, I was showing 3.5 gallons used from the last fillup. Thus I calculated I could go another 30 miles comfortably given a usable capacity of 4.5 gallons.

I started getting nervous when I saw "4.0 gallons" used about 10 miles from my destination so took an alternate route with a closer fuel stop. Good thing I did that or I'd had a much longer day of it getting fuel (I have Auto Club m/c and RV coverage but what a pain in 105 degree heat, right?).

When it ran out, idling at a stoplight, the meter still showed 4.0 gallons used, and as I recall, just over 160 miles traveled.

As I mentioned, the tank took 4.07 gallons to the neck, topped up.

So it ran out at a point where I thought I would have at least a liter or so left, surprise, surprise!

Regardless of what they say, the actual tank usable volume is less. I was able to stretch my F800GS out to the limit and got nervous but didn't run out, over 200 miles and low fuel warning in my face for 40 miles (plenty of gas stations around).

I was thinking about scout saying he'd run out a couple of times, now I see it's not uncommon.

Of course I'd never have tried that in an airplane, or if I was traveling far from help, lol

Last edited by White Fang; 09-09-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in