• 1 Post By michael4012
  • 1 Post By JayBoCC2
  • 1 Post By Twistedsocal13

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-19-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Bike has roughly 3500 miles on it, did an oil change around 300 miles with Kawasaki 10-40 oil and oem filter. Did another oil change around 600 miles with amsoil full synthetic 10-40 and oem filter. Rode the bike for a few weeks (yep, i put 3000 miles on in a few weeks) and am doing the 3rd oil change today with amsoil 10-40 metric and oem filter. Bike was dyno'd and tuned at about 3000 miles so this oil has been used hard.

Oil smells faintly of gas? Maybe I'm paranoid. How's the oil look to you all?

This is the oil when I dropped it today:Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519_115224_1558281484564.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	422409Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519_115231_1558281530644.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	422411

2016 zx10r
Throttlemeister machined throttle lock bar ends
Zero gravity corsa windscreen
TST integrated tail light
Techspec snakeskin grip pads
2 bros slip on s1r
Ecu flash coming soon
Radiator guard coming soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-19-2019, 02:33 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

looking at oil in pictures is normally fruitless, if you put a couple of litres in a tall clean glass vase directly from draining with a light behind you may be able to see moving streaks from over fueling or water contamination, sometimes you can see metallic glints as it all settles slowly. i cant see a lot in that picture. was there anything you saw?
post #3 of 6 Old 05-19-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I didn't see anything super alarming in the oil, I know during the dyno tuning (intial baseline dyno pull it put down 170) it ran very rich at first, by the end of the dyno it was running great and put down 191.52 hp with stock air filter and cat still in header (so just a slip on and tune).

I already dumped the oil into my 55 gallon drum, next oil change I'll be taking a very close look at the oil in a vase. Good chance I'm being overly knit picky and paranoid about the oil.

2016 zx10r
Throttlemeister machined throttle lock bar ends
Zero gravity corsa windscreen
TST integrated tail light
Techspec snakeskin grip pads
2 bros slip on s1r
Ecu flash coming soon
Radiator guard coming soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-20-2019, 12:20 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You cant be overly picky and paranoid about engine oil, its a life juice, often gives prior indications always always a good look on a change. I dump all the oil as hot as possibly into an open bowl then poor about half into a vase and keep an eye on whats in there when its cold and settled slowly drain the other half out of the bowl so you can see any foreign particles settled in the bottom.
gaz likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-22-2019, 12:47 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
This thread is worthless.

If you want to know if anything bad is happening with your oil you need to send a sample to https://www.blackstone-labs.com and have it tested. Otherwise you might as well get a Ouija board and ask the spirits if you oil is contaminated.
bbsteinnewyork likes this.

AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
post #6 of 6 Old 05-23-2019, 06:50 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBoCC2 View Post
This thread is worthless.

If you want to know if anything bad is happening with your oil you need to send a sample to https://www.blackstone-labs.com and have it tested. Otherwise you might as well get a Ouija board and ask the spirits if you oil is contaminated.
Bro, not everyone wants to collect and send oil in every time they are curriois about something they are not familiar with. Aside from the wait time and the money involved, it is still helpful to actually understand what each bikes oil should look and smell like, often this can help someone know what is going on and do something about it right away vs waiting for shipping and test results.
To the op, faint fuel smells are normal, a heavy smell isn't. Rings have gaps for thermal expansion, when the bike is first started those gaps are still open and so some if the exhaust gases as well as fuel will work it's way down into the case and contaminate the oil. not a big deal until it is. That is why regular oil changes and maintenance are important. The times when it is an issue are usually due to burnt rings, leaking injectors or running too rich where all the fuel can't be burnt and will start to puddle a lil. If your oil looks cloudy right away or pearly or looks like it has extra stuff mixed in but you can't be sure what and it smells strongly of exhaust or gas or stays very low viscosity/extremely runny even when cold, you have issues. Small metal particulate is normal for the first couple oil changes. the break in extras should be cleared and flushed out by the time you are done with the second or 3rd oil change. after that and easily noticable sparkle or metallic crap is a sign shit is going wrong in a bad way. Depending on the type of metal will let you know how wrong but regardless, metallic crap in any easily noticable amount beyond the first few oil changes should prompt you to quickly send in a sample and get the bike to the shop or if you do it well I wouldn't be explaining this I don't think. Anyhow, slight fuel smell= normal. a tiny miniscule bit of (like you gotta work to find it) sparkle from metallic wear is not something to flip about. glitter or flakes on the other rhand should. Oil that looks like it has pearly clouds in it, also an issue. watery oil with any extra odor, strange color beyond dirty lol and you should be ready to drop some cash on testing etc. your oil from pics won't tell anyone much, it can tell you plenty. The best is if course to have it tested but to just do so every time is as pointless as saying this thread is pointless
bbsteinnewyork likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in