Gen 5: 2016- Non-kit Cut Times - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 Old 05-24-2018, 11:41 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
Yes, we're going to reflash it and make sure the things we can control are all set up properly for what I'll be running this weekend - doing that this afternoon on my way to the track actually. So will test it out tomorrow and see if things improve, or if there's an easier work around (like just making sure I don't wind out 4th gear)....
I remember having shifting issues on my old zx10r where it would pop out of a gear and go back into the previous. After messing about with it, I've realized that the issue was two-fold. First, it was me being lazy and not pushing the lever down deliberately enough. And two, what had amplified my lazy shifting is that I was running a woodcraft gp shift knuckle. The reason for it is its shape, as it has a side-step in it so that you can flip it (for gp shift) and still clear the front sprocket cover (just like your graves one). The issue with that shift knuckle is that it's shorter than the OEM, which means that the shift rod has to travel further to create a positive shift. So basically this increases a chance of an incomplete shift in case you half-ass your push on the lever. So in the end, I tossed the woodcraft knuckle and went back to the OEM one AND re-trained my brain/foot to execute better shifts. Haven't had a problem for a couple of years. I took a quick look at your shift setup at Laguna and noticed that Graves shift knuckle is very similar to Woodcraft in that it has a side step in it but, more importantly, it is also shorter than OEM. Unfortunately, in the case of gen5 zx10r, the side step is necessary because the OEM shift sensor is wide so it has to be offset by the knuckle (and rearset) to clear the frame. So you're kind of stuck with the shorter knuckle, which means that all you can do is try your hardest to be very deliberate with your shifts until it becomes muscle memory. Also, when looking at your shift knuckle and shift rod, make sure they form a 90 degree angle or as close as possible to it. This will ensure that the distance shift rod needs to travel for up and down shifts is the same.
halfswede likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 05-24-2018, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanister View Post
Honestly part of why I haven't dealt with this issue until now was that I was blaming my leg for most of the problems, not a matter of being lazy persay, but just the simple fact that I can't feel the peg or shifter with that foot anymore, plus the limited ROM.

That part is getting better, I'm re-training the muscle memory to take over rather than relying on feel, so at this point, that's less of a concern (not saying it's eliminated as a factor on occasion, but it's something I've had to be very deliberate about this year with my slightly better functioning leg).

We shall see what I end up with come tomorrow
Lanister likes this.

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2017 sponsors and supporters!!
Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer
post #23 of 30 Old 05-24-2018, 01:13 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanister View Post
Unfortunately, in the case of gen5 zx10r, the side step is necessary because the OEM shift sensor is wide so it has to be offset by the knuckle (and rearset) to clear the frame. So you're kind of stuck with the shorter knuckle, which means that all you can do is try your hardest to be very deliberate with your shifts until it becomes muscle memory.
I'm using the Graves knuckle (I think), with the Graves rearsets, and the stock sensor. However, I had to lose the countershaft sprocket cover.

Not sure if HB is using the same Graves rearsets, as I've heard there are different versions, but this setup works very well, with no interference issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	417370  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 Old 05-24-2018, 03:30 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonCarver View Post
I'm using the Graves knuckle (I think), with the Graves rearsets, and the stock sensor. However, I had to lose the countershaft sprocket cover.

Not sure if HB is using the same Graves rearsets, as I've heard there are different versions, but this setup works very well, with no interference issues.
Why did you have to lose the sprocket cover? Was there a fitment/clearance issue?
post #25 of 30 Old 05-24-2018, 03:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm asking because the Graves website shows the rearsets with the cover still on:

post #26 of 30 Old 05-24-2018, 04:12 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Honestly, it's been a couple years, and I can't recall for sure. I seem to recall that it interfered with the knuckle. Graves may have made changes since I got my rearsets, as they were an early short-run they did for some race teams. They had a few extra sets and posted up on this forum, so I pounced on a set. Point being, they may have made alterations before selling them in larger numbers.

Then again, I did that on my Gen4, and may have just stuck with it 'cause it's easier to clean. Sorry, I wish I had a for-sure answer for you.
post #27 of 30 Old 05-24-2018, 05:16 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

That makes sense. I reckon they've improved the knuckle design for gen5s. Although in your picture it looks the same. That said, maybe gen4 sprocket cover is different shape and doesn't allow enough clearance.
post #28 of 30 Old 06-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to halfswede
i have also same shifting issue while hard acceleration but stil in lean angle.a
my friend told me i maybe not left the shifting peg coming back totally in resting position, he says my foot is propably left resting on the shifting peg a litle becouse i am stil in a lean angle.
next week going to a trackday again and i will try to lift my foot better between shifting in lean angle.
post #29 of 30 Old 06-06-2018, 02:21 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Was just at Mugello MotoGP round and was surprised to see a Puccetti WSBK team bike on display in one of the rooms. I took a close look at its shifter knuckle and it's the same size and shape (or damn close) as the Graves one. So I reckon it's good enough :)
CanyonCarver likes this.

Last edited by Lanister; 06-06-2018 at 03:12 PM.
post #30 of 30 Old 06-06-2018, 02:39 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I'm not surprised. These Graves rearsets are the only brand I've used that I like as much as the Attacks. Very solid, with no slop at all. And they crash well. A big thumbs-up, fwiw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in