Gen 1: 2004-2005 no spark or fuel - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-01-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

no spark or fuel

Hi,would a faulty vehicle down sensor allow the starter motor to turn the engine but stop the spark & fuel from working. Have got normal voltage 'in' but no voltage 'out' when in upright position or when lent over ( left or right)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-01-2016, 05:09 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Yes. That would be the exact symptom of a "tripped" VDS. The VDS shuts off the fuel pump and ignition system. Make sure the stamped arrow and wording on it is pointing upwards.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 10 Old 06-02-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hi,yes have tried with sensor in the upright position but not getting any output voltage & it's the same when you tilt sensor from side to side. Are these sensors known for breaking? (bike was in an accident & took a heavy impact with a kerb). Don't have any FI codes showing so trying to eliminate possible cause's for no spark/fuel. Fuel pump works but no injector's. Had to re-new antenna on ignition switch but that was it.Don't think it is an ECU/relay problem & have put in a loop where the side stand switch used to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-25-2019, 12:04 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hi, bringin it back from the dead, did you manage to get it working? what was the culprit?
I'm having the same issue with a 2004 zx10R.

Swapped ecu, swapped ignitor pickup, checked fuses, swapped relay box, pump primes but not getting spark or inj opening.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-25-2019, 12:47 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteryno111 View Post
Hi, bringin it back from the dead, did you manage to get it working? what was the culprit?
I'm having the same issue with a 2004 zx10R.

Swapped ecu, swapped ignitor pickup, checked fuses, swapped relay box, pump primes but not getting spark or inj opening.
Any of the safety systems will cut ignition and fuel, side stand switch, in gear with clutch out. You can bridge both the side switch and clutch switch to find the fault.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-25-2019, 02:03 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4012 View Post
Any of the safety systems will cut ignition and fuel, side stand switch, in gear with clutch out. You can bridge both the side switch and clutch switch to find the fault.
the sidestand switch is already bridged, the clutch switch isn't only for when it's in gear?
post #7 of 10 Old 10-26-2019, 12:23 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki210 View Post
Hi,would a faulty vehicle down sensor allow the starter motor to turn the engine but stop the spark & fuel from working. Have got normal voltage 'in' but no voltage 'out' when in upright position or when lent over ( left or right)
my bike wouldn't even turn over when my tip sensor was triggered
post #8 of 10 Old 10-26-2019, 12:28 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
gotta ask what happened when it last worked. usually if the pump primes you will get fuel since the bike doesn't cut the injectors directly with the fail-safes but rather will cut the fuel pump so kills all fuel at the source. double check the connection at the injectors, pull a stick coil and put a plug in, and see if any spark(be careful not to hold the coil, lay it down and keep it away from fuel) and beyond that probably time for a new harness
post #9 of 10 Old 10-28-2019, 05:09 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedsocal13 View Post
gotta ask what happened when it last worked. usually if the pump primes you will get fuel since the bike doesn't cut the injectors directly with the fail-safes but rather will cut the fuel pump so kills all fuel at the source. double check the connection at the injectors, pull a stick coil and put a plug in, and see if any spark(be careful not to hold the coil, lay it down and keep it away from fuel) and beyond that probably time for a new harness
It's really bizarre, the bike was working perfectly, it was left sitting for about 4 months after a trackday. Then I put back all of the stock fairings and lights, removed a quickshifter it had and when i went to fire it up, just turns, turns but won't start. There is power to the coils, just not pulse hence no spark. cam sensor and crank both generate voltage. theres power to ecu, good earth...

Something unusual is the bazzaz software (before I reverted install) wont give a reading for RPM while cranking.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-29-2019, 07:00 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
that is strange, best bet since it turns it's obviously not the clutch sensor, could be the tilt sensor possibly since my gen 5 will happily crank but never fire with that, but disconnect the bazzaz, especially if it has ignition/timing control which I'm sure it does (the major reason to go bazzaz over dynojet) also, double check where the quickshifter was connected if it isn't a bazzaz unit as they do like to kill spark over fuel from what I have gathered. You got a set of plugs backwards or not securely plugged in man. I know on my gen 1 I got a couple of the plugs mixed up and it was driving me nuts but I finally decided to swap them around even though I was sure I had them right and the damn thing fired right up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in