Gen 4: 2011-2015 New guy here looked at a 2011 zx10r today - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-27-2018, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

New guy here looked at a 2011 zx10r today

Hey everyone,

New to the forum here. I just looked at a lightly used 2011 zx10r today and would like some insight.

This is my first post, so some background on me. Rode dirt bikes from 9yrs until my 20s used to be pretty fast in the woods, raced a fair bit of hare scrambles.
Just sold my 06 GSXR 750 the other day I owned that for about 3 years, put about 13k miles on it, mostly back roads and some curves(the few that are around here). I felt really comfortable on my gsxr and have had my eye on zx-10s for a bit now.

So I looked at a 2011 10r today with about 7500 miles on it. Guy who owned was about 40years old said he took it easy on it and it showed. Bike is real clean with only a tiny paint chip on the tank. He tossed the stock can and cat, so it appears the servo is gone causing a F1 light. But I didn't verify thats what the F1 light was on for. Other than that there aren't really any mods, just a fender delete and integrated blinkers.

The pipe is a two bros, which sort of stinks. Is that a decent bike for this bike? Or are they regarded as junk on all bikes? It seems like a lot of people loose the servo on these bikes? I know on the gsxr forums there was a bunch of drama about how much torque you loose once you throw out the servo.

He is asking 8k for it, which I feel is pretty high, but I am in the NYC area so everything is inflated. It needs a new front tire and I have to do something about the pipe should either get a pc v or a flash the ecu I suppose / doesn't loosing the cat and stock muffler make the bike run lean or is that not an issue on these guys?

Also if anyone has a service manual for the gen 4's I'd greatly appreciate it, curious what sort of maintenance should be done by 8k miles.

Sorry for the damn essay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-28-2018, 07:04 AM
OMG Look at that squid!!

Posting Frequency

That's way to high of a price. If you buy it, ECU flash will eliminate the FI light, assuming the servo being removed is causing it. As far as torque loss with the removal of the servo and valve? With a flash it won't matter. You will gain a ton of power and torque with a flash.

I see you can still buy the ZX10R on the East coast for a huge discount. It's always been that way. I actually bought a new 2011 back when they released. At that time, I could have gotten a 2011 for $10k otd on the East coast. Keep that in mind on resale values.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Kawasa...CU8 K&vxp=mtr

Because wheelie!!!

17' Honda 1000RR SP - 08' Hypermotard 1100s
16' ZX10R - SOLD
14' Ducati Monster 1200S - SOLD
13' RSV4-R - SOLD
My ZX10R's 11' - 08' - 07' - 05' - 04' - ALL SOLD
Miss my Black 04' the most!
Never enough money, never enough time!

post #3 of 16 Old 05-28-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Trackaddict,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah unfortunately there aren't a lot of nice bikes around here and I don't have the funds to go to the dealer. Most have been wrecked and fixed back up with aftermarket plastics and what not. This bike seems very original, minus the damn 2bros pipe. I'm trying to get it for 7ish.

Is there anything else I should look out for on it? I looked over the frame/wheels and plastics closely, also took a peek in the tank for fun. I plan on taking it for a test ride. I did notice when he started it up for me it didn't have the smoothest idle, it sounded like it was fluctuating a bit, but then once it warmed up it smoothed right out.
He mentioned the dealer told him that was completely normal.

I am going to do the self diagnosis on the cluster for the F1 light. I found a service manual and it looks pretty easy to do, kill the engine, with the key still on hold the a and b buttons for more than 2 seconds then the codes pull up on the screen?

btw nice avatar, nothing like some Pantera before a rip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-29-2018, 09:35 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage

"F1"
https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f28/all-...ht-218666.html

A 2011 non-ABS model is about going to run around $7500, give or take some depending on condition.

The speed of the motor is controlled with an idle control valve and is not adjustable. During the high-idle warmup cycle, some hunting is to be expected and normal. It shouldn't be up and down radically, but a slight loping at the higher idle speed is fine.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 16 Old 06-02-2018, 04:21 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

5k cash. don't worry about something stupid like the can. Don't worry about the freakin red light. But worry about the engine failing between 50k and 70k as that's EXACTLY what happened to me TWICE, respectively.

The good news: g4 is awesome; it floats; it loves a rider that knows what he's doing; it will die for the rider; it won't stop running until total failure; and, as it increase in age, G4 BECOMES STRONGER!

First super bike I've owned that needs the extended warranty. My '11 I did not buy extended, and it blew at 50k; I did for the '13 and kawa covered the engine failure, which blew at 70k. Same exact loop, except '13 loop had a few more slab miles.

5k is fair for the g4. If you pay more and ride a lot and know how to ride, my guess is that the engine will fail after 50k miles.

Been there. And you won't have extended? Or will you?
post #6 of 16 Old 06-06-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Hey Guys,

Ended up picking it up last weekend. Came back all grins after the test ride. I'm now officially a zx-10 owner.
The front tire was so badly worn that I didn't get to play around much but boy shes a beast. Tires and oil change are first up, chain needs an adjustment.

@Scout, good to know man. I may look into an extended warranty, not sure how that works after the bike changes hands?

I don't like the idea of running the bike forever on this current exhaust setup sans a pcv or a ecu flash. No need to risk hurting her after spending that cash. I'm sure it'll be fine for a bit, but an Ivans ecu flash might be in the works judging by how close his shop is located to me.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-06-2018, 03:03 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossel1n View Post
Hey Guys,

Ended up picking it up last weekend. Came back all grins after the test ride. I'm now officially a zx-10 owner.
The front tire was so badly worn that I didn't get to play around much but boy shes a beast. Tires and oil change are first up, chain needs an adjustment.

@Scout, good to know man. I may look into an extended warranty, not sure how that works after the bike changes hands?

I don't like the idea of running the bike forever on this current exhaust setup sans a pcv or a ecu flash. No need to risk hurting her after spending that cash. I'm sure it'll be fine for a bit, but an Ivans ecu flash might be in the works judging by how close his shop is located to me.
Extended warranties are a waste of money
SkyDork likes this.

post #8 of 16 Old 06-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Sneekey10R Send a message via MSN to Sneekey10R Send a message via Yahoo to Sneekey10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older Guy View Post
Extended warranties are a waste of money
Unless you don't change your oil.
SkyDork likes this.

post #9 of 16 Old 06-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekey10R View Post
Unless you don't change your oil.

Hahahahahahahaa....my sides hurt now....
Sneekey10R likes this.

post #10 of 16 Old 06-06-2018, 03:34 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossel1n View Post
Hey Guys,

Congrats on the purchase! It's official then!

Don't worry about no extended warranty thingies. You can only get one if the bike is still under the original 12-month factory warranty. If that's expired, then you're SOL. But don't worry, we've got you covered here on this site for any help with the bike!

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in