Gen 3: 2008-2010 Major Stalling issues - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By SkyDork

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-20-2018, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Major Stalling issues

Hello all. I am new to this page. I have owned nothing but ZX10Rís my whole riding life. I just resently purchased a 2010 ZX10R from a dealership many miles away from my house. It took about three weeks for them to deliver the bike but once it was arrived I was happy. It was the color and all I wanted. Once they dropped the bike in the driveway I became suspicious because the bike was off and making a whining noise coming from gas tank. It finally stopped after about 15 mins.
I had to wait about another week to get my 30 day tag, but once arrived I put it on and went out riding. Bike runs great. Very fast. Lots of upgrades. PCV, full M4 exhaust, and exterior upgrades. Bike looks and runs great until I was out riding for about 20 mins. As I pullled to a stop sign and pulled in the clutch the bike stalled. It started right back up but it did it again at the next red light. Tried to crank bike and battery was dead.
No big deal I thought. Just needs new battery. I got bike home and put a new battery in it. Took out for another ride and with new battery the bike continued to stall after warm. And had a hard time starting. When bike is cool it fires right up. So I decided to take bike to the shop. They claimed they looked at it and all is fine. So I figured maybe just bad gas. I came to get bike and on the way home from shop bike stalled again and again.
I just took bike home completely frustrated, I just parked it. The only day off I have from work is Sunday so I plan on tearing bike down this weekend to try to investigate what the issue is. Any information you guys could provide as to where and what to look for would be helpful. I ordered a new set of plugs to put in this weekend and should be here tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-20-2018, 07:45 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Is it as simple as idle needs adjusting, ie when auto choke is on its ok but when warmed up auto choke is off and just about ideals but when engine is hot hot it won't idle.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-20-2018, 08:31 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Welcome to the party!

What is the idle speed set to when it's warmed up and running? It is a manual adjustment and should be set to 1,150 RPM. The battery is only used for starting. If it restarted just fine after stalling, then the battery wasn't the issue. The whining noise is the fuel tank venting out the fuel cap from it being hot, expanding the fuel, and displacing the air. It's normal. If you pop the cap open quick, it will replace the air quickly and the noise will stop.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-20-2018, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the responses and warm welcome. I adjusted the idle and once I set it at 1200 it will drop back down to 1000 or lower after warmed up. My friend at work told me to remove the PC and to take it out to see if the problem still happens. And I even paid the shop to check it out. They seemed like they didnít want to dig into it so I am definitely doing this myself. The shop I bought the bike from says kick stand switch but I am sure it that was the case the bike wouldnít start unless in Neutral.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-20-2018, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

And it will idle when hot. Just will stall when out riding and down shifting or coming to a stop and the RPMs drop.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-21-2018, 10:03 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonis55 View Post
The shop I bought the bike from says kick stand switch but I am sure it that was the case the bike wouldn’t start unless in Neutral.
That is a valid assessment from them. You should bypass the switch and see if that resolves the issue. It's not really correct to think that the switch won't allow it to start unless in neutral or not. It's not a failure of the switch itself. It has to do with the switch being inadvertently triggered under deceleration/braking. It has to do with the forces applied on the kickstand and the switch itself.

It's a fairly common issue with the Gen 2 and Gen 3. I landed a wheelie on my G2 and the motor came to a stop. I was on the highway at the time and had to coast to a stop. Engine was dead. The sidestand safety switch rotated in the mount slightly from the impact when I landed the front down and it took me a couple minutes to troubleshoot that. I just rotated the switch back into position and off I went.

Bypass the switch to continue your troubleshooting to see if that really is the case or not.
evilaugust and michael4012 like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 7 Old 06-21-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Ok. Sounds good. I will give it a shot. Spark plugs got delivered today so I am going to dig into it on Sunday. I will post back to let you know what I have found. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in