Gen 4: 2011-2015 Lost my drain plug bolt 😞 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-14-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Lost my drain plug bolt 😞

Hey guys, so after taking my 2013 to the track for the umpteenth time the clutch was fried, normal, I expected that, fifth time that's happened. Anyways come home from the track pull it apart the next couple days replace the clutch but also took the oil pan off to check the oil pickup make sure it wasn't clogged, had a couple specks on it but nothing major I cleaned the oil pick up, put the drain bolt back in the pan by hand, put the pan back on the bike , and put the rest of the bike back together. The next morning I was riding down the highway and the bike started to lose power, I shut it off, pulled over, my oil pan drain bolt was gone loaded it on a tow truck took it home filled it with oil. I started it up, idles fine but has a knock above 6k sitting still and 4K under load.

I pulled the oil pan and it looks like a gold glitter bomb went off in it... 😔 so after speaking with several people in reading the forums it appears I've spun a rod bearing.

I'm looking for advice or help from somebody that has either, taken their bike to a shop to have it rebuilt, swapped the motor, or rebuilt themselves, I am pretty mechanically inclined however I've never torn a motor down. I'm here to ask what the best course of action would be and what my next course of action should be. Thank you for the help.

The bike is a 2013 with just under 20,000 miles on it I've owned it since brand new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190405_101712_174_1560537961139.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	422793   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190610_200402_HDR_1560538249933.jpg
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	422795   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190610_200416_HDR_1560538280221.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	422797   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190610_200422_HDR_1560538318528.jpg
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	422799   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_142113_1560538364474.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	422801  

Click image for larger version

Name:	received_1073902276137385_1560538396066.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	422803  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-14-2019, 02:24 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Well what has happened has happened, ouch i feel for you bro. Problem if you have not torn down a bike engine before be careful not so much me saying you cant do it but also you will be surprised how many "GOOD" tools you will need and to do this properly you will need good measuring equipment too, vernier gauge and micrometers good quality torque wrenches, but above all you cannot cut corners or it will just screw you again! There is also the amount of time it will take you seriously do not underestimate the length of time. A drop in motor well OK but then i would be tempted to sell the bike on and get another which means your still losing time and money although you could probably swap the engine out yourself but this also requires some good tooling and will take longer than you think. Fuck my advice is to borrow the money if you have to and get it professionally re-built with a warranty huu!!
post #3 of 6 Old 06-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

That sucks dude! I would either take to reputable shop in your area for a rebuild or just buy an engine. Probably easier and less expensive to just buy an engine, only downside is you never really know what you're getting. On the other hand with a rebuild, a shop might get it rebuilt in a week for you or it could sit for 3 months.

I think you could swap a motor yourself but no way in hell would I rebuild it if you've never done one before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-14-2019, 03:03 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Well, that looks all too familiar! It sucks! Spun a rod on my Gen 4 and it's a big ordeal.

The others have pretty much given your options.

Most expensive = shop rebuild
Quickest = buy a used engine
Cheapest = rebuild it yourself

I rebuilt mine and it's a lengthy process. You're looking at $1500-$2000 in parts if you do it yourself and the crank can be repaired. Tack on a few hundred more if you have to buy a new crank. Last time I looked, a used motor in decent condition for that bike will set you back about $3000. That's obviously the easiest and quickest way to get it back on the road. If you're wanting a drop it off and pick it up from the shop, then figure your bill will be $4000+ for parts/labor.

If you're mechanically inclined then it's not too bad to do it yourself. The crank will have damage though and that will need to be welded and ground. The head will need to be checked and decked depending on the damage. There's a lot to do, but if you take your time and are organized then you can do it yourself.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 6 Old 06-14-2019, 03:07 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I disagree with the price of a motor but I also haven't done a lot of searching. I just know from friends that have bought bike motors and seeing them pop up on forums and facebook. I would not pay over $1500-$2000 for used Gen 4 motor. If it was completely rebuilt and never used then that's a different story.

Edit: did a quick WERA forum search and there were 2 listed in the past at $3000 obo. I would "obo" lol.

Last edited by LossPrev; 06-14-2019 at 03:10 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-14-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks guys, yeah I've seen engines on eBay for around 2600.00 and ive seen on Facebook anywhere from 2200-2900.. the more I think about it the more im not sure I'm up to tearing it down myself. I've talked to the only local shop I would trust and it would take him till late fall he said.. looks like I'll be keeping a close eye on groups/eBay for a good deal on an engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in