Gen 4: 2011-2015 Lanister's Track Build - Page 5 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 175 Old 03-17-2015, 04:12 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I was there spectating for a bit.

You can add another one to the list that does not like Laguna. It is without a doubt the most overhyped racetrack in the world and I've been on a bunch of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 175 Old 03-17-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
I was there spectating for a bit.

You can add another one to the list that does not like Laguna. It is without a doubt the most overhyped racetrack in the world and I've been on a bunch of them.
Now my list has two people. Personally, I can't get enough of the place, as it just so much fun. And I have ridden a bunch of tracks myself, from virtually all tracks on the West Coast to Miller and Philip Island.
post #43 of 175 Old 03-18-2015, 02:04 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanister View Post
Now my list has two people. Personally, I can't get enough of the place, as it just so much fun. And I have ridden a bunch of tracks myself, from virtually all tracks on the West Coast to Miller and Philip Island.
Very nice build, will definitely be following.

Sounds like that progressive Motion Pro reel could be the reasonable way to go, but are you sure the map doesn't require fine tuning for that intial throttle application?

Many pros have talked positively about Laguna and some people absolutely love the place, but you prefer it over Phillip Island? Really?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 175 Old 03-18-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krankasaki View Post
Very nice build, will definitely be following.

Sounds like that progressive Motion Pro reel could be the reasonable way to go, but are you sure the map doesn't require fine tuning for that intial throttle application?

Many pros have talked positively about Laguna and some people absolutely love the place, but you prefer it over Phillip Island? Really?
Very good point about a possible solution through fine-tuning of the map to help with initial throttle. I've spoken with Archer about this and he's going to look into it. So if there's some improvement to gain there, combined with the Motion Pro kit, it might solve the problem nicely. I'll post up my findings as I go.

With respect to Laguna vs other tracks, I certainly didn't mean to say that it is better than all other tracks I've ridden. Each track has its own feel and flow and it's probably not even fair to compare them side by side because they're all very different. So I like each track for different reasons. Clearly, the experience is very subjective so I definitely respect that some people may not like Laguna. For instance, many people absolutely love Sears Point, while can't say the same thing. Personally, I don't really feel safe there because of relatively small amount of run-off in high-speed sections and drastically varying grip levels depending on the ambient temperature. So although I enjoy its flow, I have less fun there. Laguna I clicked with from my first session there back in 2008. To me, it has an amazing natural flow that makes connecting the dots feel very natural. It is easy to feel like you understand the track but if you want to go very fast it becomes super technical. So it tends to appeal to a wide range of riders. Moreover, the track has been upgraded to meet world-class safety standards so feeling safe also adds to the fun factor. Although winter rains have left some run-off areas in dire need of grooming, which I hope will happen sooner than later. I do get the whole over-hyping thing but that doesn't take away from the fact that (in my opinion) it is a super fun track to ride.

Last edited by Lanister; 03-18-2015 at 02:08 PM.
post #45 of 175 Old 03-18-2015, 01:20 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I won't argue your appraisal, I just find it laborious to ride there. It is always expensive, more so than any other track around, the noise restrictions are ridiculous to begin with and cost horsepower after you shove a buttplug in your bike's ass which takes away the fun factor of riding and it is not exactly a safe track either. It might have enough run off etc, but with many foggy mornings (which delay riding time btw) and the track cooling very early in the afternoons combined with just how technical it really is to go quickly I witness more crashes at Laguna than any other track event in California.

& yea I do love me some Infineon It is very much like my home track of Barber or at least the first half of it is so I felt pretty comfortable there right from the start and find I can ride much closer to front runner lap times with a lot less effort than I expend at Laguna.
post #46 of 175 Old 03-18-2015, 02:10 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Laguna is a track I can not see myself being fast at. The hill crest for example, you can easily get ass packed in there. You come to T1 so quickly that it gives you ass pucker moment. If you don't have a quiet exhaust, your drive out of 5 is killed by upshift ting or rolling of the throttle. The last turn before the front straight is so iffin slow that you hit it just a tad faster, your gone, bye bye. I didn't like the flow of it. Could be just me, but I just didn't enjoy it.

I absolutely hated sonoma last year, but when I got my suspension dialed in and got the lines down, I was running among the front of A/B group. The only difficulty I have with sonoma is the line through the carousel and that is just me. I need to work on hitting the right line at the right speed. I never felt danger riding Sonoma. Now don't get me wrong, you can easily crash in Sonoma, Thill, Laguna ...

Thunderhill is by far is the best of the three. Fast paced, easy to understand, ample run off, sufficient technicality to appeal to a wide range of riders... least that's how I feel.
post #47 of 175 Old 03-18-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
I won't argue your appraisal, I just find it laborious to ride there. It is always expensive, more so than any other track around, the noise restrictions are ridiculous to begin with and cost horsepower after you shove a buttplug in your bike's ass which takes away the fun factor of riding and it is not exactly a safe track either. It might have enough run off etc, but with many foggy mornings (which delay riding time btw) and the track cooling very early in the afternoons combined with just how technical it really is to go quickly I witness more crashes at Laguna than any other track event in California.

& yea I do love me some Infineon It is very much like my home track of Barber or at least the first half of it is so I felt pretty comfortable there right from the start and find I can ride much closer to front runner lap times with a lot less effort than I expend at Laguna.
Yeah, I definitely agree with your points about Laguna and the things that could catch you out. I've been on the receiving end of that. That said, I would say it's not too far off from Sears in terms of the amount of crashes as well weakening grip as soon as sun sets. Nothing beats the good old and toasty Thunderhill with its warm afternoons to run care-free hot laps. Speaking of which, April 3-4 Thill weekend is almost upon us :)
post #48 of 175 Old 03-18-2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo7maid View Post
Laguna is a track I can not see myself being fast at. The hill crest for example, you can easily get ass packed in there. You come to T1 so quickly that it gives you ass pucker moment. If you don't have a quiet exhaust, your drive out of 5 is killed by upshift ting or rolling of the throttle. The last turn before the front straight is so iffin slow that you hit it just a tad faster, your gone, bye bye. I didn't like the flow of it. Could be just me, but I just didn't enjoy it.

I absolutely hated sonoma last year, but when I got my suspension dialed in and got the lines down, I was running among the front of A/B group. The only difficulty I have with sonoma is the line through the carousel and that is just me. I need to work on hitting the right line at the right speed. I never felt danger riding Sonoma. Now don't get me wrong, you can easily crash in Sonoma, Thill, Laguna ...

Thunderhill is by far is the best of the three. Fast paced, easy to understand, ample run off, sufficient technicality to appeal to a wide range of riders... least that's how I feel.
I too feel very safe at Thunderhill, that place really gives me a piece of mind and I enjoy it thoroughly. It is kind of a benchmark track around here, where you know if that if you're under 2 minute mark, you're hauling the mail. It's definitely one of my favorites.

Sears I've ridden countless times and I will continue to. I've raced in AFM there and managed some semi-decent lap times and results. It's definitely very technical with a ton of gotchas. If you're fast there, you're fast!

As for Laguna, now I understand your reaction toward it. Ask anyone, pro racer or not, it takes some balls to take T1 right. Everyone is scared of it to various degrees. It's completely blind and if you're not confident, people flying past you will make you feel very uncomfortable. The key there is to take the right line and not chop the throttle. A slight roll-off to keep the front loaded over the crest and roll-back on for a split second before the heavy braking into T2. I'm still pretty intimidated to take the corner at the right speed and I've spent the whole weekend slowly pushing my comfort level out lap by lap. There's a lot of time to be found there.

The loud exhaust is pretty much a show killer for me and if I have no option to meet the sound level, I won't ride there period. I've ridden a few days where I had to granny it past the sound booth and I will never do that again. It screws up the entire rhythm and creates a bit of a risk zone come T6 since people behind could be closing up at much higher speed. That's why I've gone out of my way to have an optional full stock exhaust with an insert and not have a care in the world about the noise. It makes a huge difference with respect to the fun factor.

Last edited by Lanister; 03-18-2015 at 02:54 PM.
post #49 of 175 Old 03-19-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Another progress update. The stage 1 of the body work project is done. The plastics got back from paint and I installed them last night to have a look, which I am happy with it.

Stage 2 is to apply the 3rd color highlights using vinyl. Given I have very little experience with stickering, it should be pretty interesting. But here's what it looks like at the moment...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150319_085729166.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	314570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150319_085738670.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	314578   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150319_085747992.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	314586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150319_085800195_HDR.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	314594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150319_085812902_HDR.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	314602  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150319_085821457_HDR.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	314610  
post #50 of 175 Old 03-19-2015, 01:03 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Nothing looks better than a freshly painted track bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in