Gen 4: 2011-2015 Lanister's Track Build - Page 18 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #171 of 175 Old 11-14-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz96 View Post
You know funny you say that about the chicane. I was braking entering the first section and then rolled through out and my coach who evaluated me told me he was eating me up through there. Braking during the transition never even crossed my mind, huh. Just reading that and knowing how much corner speed I left on the track through the 2nd to last corner has got to be good for a sec or two! In the 2nd to last corner I also struggled to find a good reference point on the brakes. Do you remember seeing a good marker through that last section?

Thanks for the tips!
Because the first high speed chicane is pretty long, the transition from left to right is not lightning fast so you use the time when the bike is upright to properly and safely go hard on the brakes. The second to last corner I struggled with reference points too and probably was most inconsistent with. I saw people take all sorts of lines through there and none were slow. I even asked Aussie Dave about it and even he said that he can't spot that corner consistently either and he's running 1:26s! I copied Roi Holsters' line in the race and it worked ok. I was trying to tie it with the placement with respect to the flag tower on the right but I don't think I quite got it down. Need more laps there.
Neonmarine and wheelz96 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 175 Old 11-14-2018, 02:46 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Jumping the gator strip is the hardest thing to get the Novice School riders NOT to do. They all want to be a Pro Rider like you out there being a superstar and what they are really doing is just slowing themselves down as by the time their suspension settles so that they can initiate the turn after the jump they have lost A LOT of time. I always told them unless you are going so fast into the turn that you have no choice, but to jump the curbing then avoid it.

For the high speed chicane I was always on an underpowered bike so I learned how to get through it with the throttle pinned by short shifting into higher gears which reduced engine rpm and gyroscopic effect and then I just yanked the handlebars with upper body strength and let it drift all the way to the edge of the track on exit.
Yea I won't lie, after studying tape before I attended Barber jumping the gator strip seemed to be the only line choice! However, I do recall thinking to myself many laps how I actually worked harder to ride over it then I needed to.. But I also made up alot of ground so to speak on other riders through that section. The high speed chicane was where I was told I am losing time. I do remember having to yank hard on the bars thru the transition but I also braked hard entering.. Rolling out and braking after first apex certainly seems like a faster approach! Man I would kill to ride with you guys and learn from you! Riding in the I group never allowed me to follow faster guys and now being in the A group I'm excited to follow and learn from some actual FAST guys!

Keep the tips coming boys!
post #173 of 175 Old 11-14-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Jumping the gator strip is the hardest thing to get the Novice School riders NOT to do. They all want to be a Pro Rider like you out there being a superstar and what they are really doing is just slowing themselves down as by the time their suspension settles so that they can initiate the turn after the jump they have lost A LOT of time. I always told them unless you are going so fast into the turn that you have no choice, but to jump the curbing then avoid it.

For the high speed chicane I was always on an underpowered bike so I learned how to get through it with the throttle pinned by short shifting into higher gears which reduced engine rpm and gyroscopic effect and then I just yanked the handlebars with upper body strength and let it drift all the way to the edge of the track on exit.
Oh ya, I bet on an R3 the chicane is fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 175 Old 11-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Oh and congrats on the great weekend Lanister!
Lanister likes this.
post #175 of 175 Old 11-16-2018, 07:03 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks for sharing Lanister. And I'll second the congrats on the weekend.
Lanister likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in