LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 Old 01-31-2004, 11:26 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRacingZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerkin
since you are all to lazy to learn german :roll: here's what I've posted on bikeland.org

well here is the link:

http://www.zx10ninja.de/wbb2/thread....d=269&sid=

I can't compare this to other recent test, my subscription ran from 1980 until 1995.
Compared to the ZX9R it has a very good seating position as long as you like it sporty, contact with the bike is very good.
They have dynotested it at 166PS and mentioned that it was a class record, the same with the roll on figures, they mention that it is the quickest roadbike they have ever tested so don't start telling me that your Gixxerwhatever is quicker, I am only the messenger.
They have a top speed of 288 km/h under rainy conditions and mentioned that they will test this later under ideal conditions.
They are very very postive about the handling, it gives a lot of feedback.As for stability they mention that they would like a steering damper but more for psychological reasons. Compared to the recent Blade and R1 (recent as in '03 Blade/R1) it is much better in this sense.
No mentioning of a bad gearbox selection. Only minors were bad wind protection and stiff suspension for road use.
They end the test with: Live can be so green.

Even to me it reads more like an add then a roadtest, and remember we are talking about Motorrad. They more or less prompted Honda to change the steering head on the '02 Blade and made it clear to Kawasaki they had a problem with the ZX9R, after which KHI decided to put an extra mounting point on the 9 engine to cure this.
:D :D :D

as for the dynotest, it would have been better if they test a Gixxer alongside, but hey then they wouldn't have enough copy for one their future tests

as for a COC on European bikes :?: Well they test them so there is no need to do extra testing in each different country, but that doesn't have anything to do with Motorrad not mentioning a topspeed figure in the data, they mention it in the test. Simply because they have done most of the road test in Italy or France (what they usually do in winter btw) and probably didn't have the opportunity to do a decent speed test.
So seeing is how you speak German, are they saying that the 166ps is at the clutch? Or are they saying its at the rear?
at the bottom of the spec/measurement page it reads:
"power at the clutch, measured on a Dynojet 150 testbank, corrected to ECE, maximum allowable tolerance 5%"

in the text they mention a 2% loss between crank and clutch :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 01-31-2004, 08:30 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRacingZX6R
Quote:
since you are all to lazy to learn german :roll: here's what I've posted on bikeland.org

well here is the link:

http://www.zx10ninja.de/wbb2/thread....d=269&sid=

I can't compare this to other recent test, my subscription ran from 1980 until 1995.
Compared to the ZX9R it has a very good seating position as long as you like it sporty, contact with the bike is very good.
They have dynotested it at 166PS and mentioned that it was a class record, the same with the roll on figures, they mention that it is the quickest roadbike they have ever tested so don't start telling me that your Gixxerwhatever is quicker, I am only the messenger.
They have a top speed of 288 km/h under rainy conditions and mentioned that they will test this later under ideal conditions.
They are very very postive about the handling, it gives a lot of feedback.As for stability they mention that they would like a steering damper but more for psychological reasons. Compared to the recent Blade and R1 (recent as in '03 Blade/R1) it is much better in this sense.
No mentioning of a bad gearbox selection. Only minors were bad wind protection and stiff suspension for road use.
They end the test with: Live can be so green.

Even to me it reads more like an add then a roadtest, and remember we are talking about Motorrad. They more or less prompted Honda to change the steering head on the '02 Blade and made it clear to Kawasaki they had a problem with the ZX9R, after which KHI decided to put an extra mounting point on the 9 engine to cure this.
:D :D :D

as for the dynotest, it would have been better if they test a Gixxer alongside, but hey then they wouldn't have enough copy for one their future tests

as for a COC on European bikes :?: Well they test them so there is no need to do extra testing in each different country, but that doesn't have anything to do with Motorrad not mentioning a topspeed figure in the data, they mention it in the test. Simply because they have done most of the road test in Italy or France (what they usually do in winter btw) and probably didn't have the opportunity to do a decent speed test.
So seeing is how you speak German, are they saying that the 166ps is at the clutch? Or are they saying its at the rear?
at the bottom of the spec/measurement page it reads:
"power at the clutch, measured on a Dynojet 150 testbank, corrected to ECE, maximum allowable tolerance 5%"

in the text they mention a 2% loss between crank and clutch :)
One of my non technical German friends translated from Motorrad magazine the following. I have made some notes.

This report repeats much of what burgerkin said and highlight some of the comments.

Page 4 right-hand side

“At higher speed range the considerably acceleration forward rushes the digital speedometer and is signalises by changing from 5th gear and then stops counting at 299 km/h very quickly, and still the close ratio 6th gear is available after 5th gear”

Notes:
Speed chart in test data indicates top speed in 5th is 279 kph or 174.8 mph @ 13,000 rpm, with normal speedometer calibration this may be an indicated 290 kph or 181 mph.
After changing into the close ratio 6th gear it is possible to max out the Digital Speedometer, which can only indicate up to a maximum 299 kph or mph.
The US spec speedometer should not suffer the same dilemma as it could indicate 200 mph or even 299 mph if it is required.

Chassis
The moment you use this one (6th gear), the ZX-10R can even becomes catapulted under bad conditions - partly wet piste/track and the short startup - to a real 288 km/h (radar checked), under ideal circumstances 290 km/h should be possible easily (factory information is 295 km/h). In fact/namely without feeling or noticing any instability at the chassis (frame) and - even more importantly - without letting your adrenaline be raise to an unhealthy levels even on a concrete slab highway like the A81.

Okay, something happens or something moves, and the riders who loads the lower gears properly, will notice one or the other amplitude.

But the ZX-10R is far away from the critical behaviour of the last Fireblade and R1 generations.”

Notes 2:
On the concrete slab constructed A8, Motorrad radar checked the speed at 288 km/h and on a good road or track 290 is possible, the factory claims 295 km/h in the COC or Certificate of Conformity.
post #33 of 35 Old 01-31-2004, 10:19 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

So if I'm reading this right they didn't get a top speed readout in 6th because the speedo was jacked up. They didn't have a radar gun?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 Old 02-01-2004, 02:48 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
So if I'm reading this right they didn't get a top speed readout in 6th because the speedo was jacked up. They didn't have a radar gun?
Motorrad normally use GPS to do the topspeed measurement
post #35 of 35 Old 02-01-2004, 03:42 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Motorrad normally use GPS to do the topspeed measurement
It was check with a method like GPS or radar which let them claim a real speed. I just chose radar as an example that it was a checked speed.

The method was not important, however it allowed them to claim a real speed.

Some European magazines fit data loggers to measure any number of items on the bike not just speed.

The Kawasaki digital speedometers go through a self check every time they are switched on. It activates all areas of the read out and would normally indicate 288 with all segments on, however in normal working order the meter will read 299. The first figure reads 1 or 2 but can not be made to switch to 3. Kawasaki along with the other manufacturers have a self regulating 300 top speed.

The reason they did not tap it out in 6th gear is they had limited run up and clear road. It was on a public highway. It was also wet. I am not familar enough with the A81 in Germany, I was told it was in the south. With the recent weather in Europe it would have been difficult to find roads clear of snow and ice.

Even a dry road may have been hard to find. Although some shots in the test are on a dry track and one shots shows a beach shot so part of the test may have been carried out in France or Italy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in