Gen 5: 2016- Insurance repairs - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-29-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Insurance repairs

So... I pulled up to a stop sign to turn left. I looked right and saw a truck coming and then looked left. I looked back right just in time to see the truck turning into me. I had just enough time to jump off the bike. I wasn't hurt but it did over 4K in damage to my bike including the front forks.

The payout was enough for repairs and some extras including a PCV, air filter, cam degrading, and dyno tune. I was initially going to have the mechanic send the cams off to Webb but the Gen 5 cams are already huge so decided to just have him degree them. While the engine was out off the bike I had the usual stuff done like smog block offs and I removed the flapper from the rank air.

The PCV and cam degreeing freed up nearly 30hp through the midrange and it feels like a completely different bike and it looks even more badass because I ditched the faded red forks for green ones and a carbon fiber upper fairing and front fender.

Who knew that getting wrecked at a stop sign could be a blessing in disguise...
JayBoCC2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-29-2017, 09:56 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Would love to see more and after dyno graphs
JayBoCC2 and Fantastic like this.

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
post #3 of 11 Old 10-29-2017, 06:20 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

hardly, no accident is a blessing. Watch your next insurance bill; yes even if not your fault.

corps are not your friend. Just occasionally necessary yet never, never, ever, ever will morals enter their thought paradigm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-30-2017, 01:48 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx7rr_2_zx10r View Post
So... I pulled up to a stop sign to turn left. I looked right and saw a truck coming and then looked left. I looked back right just in time to see the truck turning into me. I had just enough time to jump off the bike. I wasn't hurt but it did over 4K in damage to my bike including the front forks.

The payout was enough for repairs and some extras including a PCV, air filter, cam degrading, and dyno tune. I was initially going to have the mechanic send the cams off to Webb but the Gen 5 cams are already huge so decided to just have him degree them. While the engine was out off the bike I had the usual stuff done like smog block offs and I removed the flapper from the rank air.

The PCV and cam degreeing freed up nearly 30hp through the midrange and it feels like a completely different bike and it looks even more badass because I ditched the faded red forks for green ones and a carbon fiber upper fairing and front fender.

Who knew that getting wrecked at a stop sign could be a blessing in disguise...
if there was damage to your forks on a Gen5 the repair bill would be more than 4k each fork cost $1,882.64 usd not including labour to fit them
post #5 of 11 Old 10-30-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBZ10R View Post
if there was damage to your forks on a Gen5 the repair bill would be more than 4k each fork cost $1,882.64 usd not including labour to fit them
Ok, it was just one fork... Typo. That was the exact amount they paid out for the parts. The total payout was $4700 and some change. Instead of fixing the fork it was cheaper to get a used set off eBay which was 1300.00 with shipping and I got the green ones which don't turn pink when faded... Saved $500.
RBZ10R likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-30-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victors View Post
Would love to see more and after dyno graphs
I'll ask the mechanic if he saved the graph but I saw it with my eyeballs.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-30-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
hardly, no accident is a blessing. Watch your next insurance bill; yes even if not your fault.

corps are not your friend. Just occasionally necessary yet never, never, ever, ever will morals enter their thought paradigm.
That's for dammed sure... Insurance is a effing racket.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-30-2017, 08:00 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx7rr_2_zx10r View Post
I'll ask the mechanic if he saved the graph but I saw it with my eyeballs.
They get saved if it's a dynojet. There's a little file. If you can get a copy of the runs I can view them. If love to see them for comparison sake. Not that I'm doubting anything. But it would just be very helpful.

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
post #9 of 11 Old 10-31-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

When the mechanic checked the stock timing with his cam wheel he was a bit baffled as to why Kawasaki would want to choke the bike so badly through the low and midrange. He said that the numbers for the intake and exhaust should be swapped for the bike to have power in the midrange. A cool thing about the bike is that it has degreeable cam sprockets so that was money saved also. I highly recommend the guy I went to for the repairs. If there's anyone on here in the Columbia, SC area the name of the shop is Carolina Motorsports. The owner Joe Spires specializes in sportbikes and has rebuilt over 100 engines.
Victors likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-31-2017, 02:49 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I would be interested to see how much top end loss there was. A ZX10RR I tuned only gained about 6-8whp with Kit cams installed and degreed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in