Gen 5: 2016- HELP NEEDED - Traction Control Issue - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-03-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

HELP NEEDED - Traction Control Issue

Maybe someone here can help.
Bike is a 2016 NON-ABS. Mostly stock besides a filter, decatted Brock’s slipon, PCV.

I will try my best to explain my problem with the KTRC.

Let’s say I have the power set to FULL, TC set to 1 (or any KTRC mode). I am rolling about 40-45 mph and slam the throttle and the rear tire breaks loose. The traction control comes on super early and does it job correctly cutting the fuel/ignition (not sure which one it cuts). And next let’s say the bike now regains traction. The yellow indicator light continues to flash and is still cutting fuel/ignition even after the tire has regained traction. The only way to get the light to go away and for the bike to act normal again is to pull over, stop the bike, and either completely shut the bike off OR turn the KTRC to OFF. If I only turn the TC off.. and continue to ride and then try to place KTRC back into 1, 2, or 3. It still continues to flash the lights and cuts fuel/ignition even if the bike is not moving.

I’ve tried replacing the front and rear sensors, with no fix. Also have triple checked all wiring and everything is correct. I have even removed the PCV and the problem STILL persists.

Anyone ever have anything like this or know what I could do? Please help, thanks in advanced. Hope to hear something soon. ✌️
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Also want to add, I mainly ride with TC turned to off but I found this problem when a light shower passed thru during a trackday and NCM. It would be nice to use it every once in a while when things like this arise. Thanks guys
post #3 of 11 Old 07-04-2019, 09:16 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I wouldn't think it's the sensors because if the ECU gets crazy readings from one sensor it should just turn off TC, it wouldn't try to control wheel spin. I would look at the ECU as the culprit. I'm assuming its flashed because everyone flashes these days so I would reflash it or borrow another ECU if possible. Or if it's mainly a track bike get the kit ECU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-04-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LossPrev View Post
I wouldn't think it's the sensors because if the ECU gets crazy readings from one sensor it should just turn off TC, it wouldn't try to control wheel spin. I would look at the ECU as the culprit. I'm assuming its flashed because everyone flashes these days so I would reflash it or borrow another ECU if possible. Or if it's mainly a track bike get the kit ECU
I didn’t think about the ECU being the culprit. I guess it worth a shot. I really don’t feel like spending $300-500 for a USED ecu though.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-04-2019, 08:27 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
will an ECU from a 2017 abs model work on a 2016 non abs? same generation bike but abs vs not might factor. I have a spare, I know you don't want to drop a ton on it but maybe if all else fails we can work something out. if it's been flashed try returning it to stock. the only time I have ever had my light come on like that is if I was rolling my bike before I started it, like at night leaving a friends and his kids were sleeping so I do the on bike waddle half way down the block before fireing her up, then the track light comes on and stays on. Never seen it happen any other way
post #6 of 11 Old 07-05-2019, 10:41 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai.rides View Post
I didnít think about the ECU being the culprit. I guess it worth a shot. I really donít feel like spending $300-500 for a USED ecu though.
Do you know anyone with a zx10 at all? If you go to the track maybe find a rider on one and approach them, ask if you can figure out a time to try their ECU. It would only take a few minutes to switch them and then take a brief ride. Really no risk on their part aside from you stealing their ecu or something maybe???If you were near me I'd let you pop in my ECU and see what happens.

I'm pretty sure the ABS models ECU is different because it has a separate processor for the ABS function. The only problem I would see happening is the ECU will throw a code since it won't detect the ABS hardware in the braking system and will "turn off" ABS. Not sure if that also turns off TC.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Not sure this is the fix, but I can tell you I've had all kinds of weird and unpredictable issues when I had a PCV on my last 10.

Until I removed my PCV, I had random cut outs, sometimes only on right turns, or in other cases low power until I cycled the bike on and off again. I'd try removing it and making sure it's not somehow adding to the issue.

2017 10RR
RIP - 2013 10R
RedSpade Racing
WERA 404 Novice
post #8 of 11 Old 07-05-2019, 01:48 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LossPrev View Post
I'm pretty sure the ABS models ECU is different because it has a separate processor for the ABS function. The only problem I would see happening is the ECU will throw a code since it won't detect the ABS hardware in the braking system and will "turn off" ABS. Not sure if that also turns off TC.
There is no ECU for ABS or non-ABS - they are the same exact ECU. You can take an ECU from a bike with KIBS throw it in a non-KIBS bike, or vice versa, and it will work with no fault codes. Additionally there is no second processor in the ECU - there is one main MCU inside of the ECU, not two like in older Yamaha R6/R1 where one MCU was used for tuning and another for ETV.

The ECU has no bearing on ABS - it only passes info along the data channel like TPS, ETV, Wheel Speed, Crank Position, Lean Angle, etc to the Bosch ABS controller where the ABS control module then does all the work. The Bosch ABS controller handles all the I/O including fault codes for ABS. The main FI ECU just acts as a messenger of sorts.
Porschenut likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-05-2019, 01:49 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpade View Post
Not sure this is the fix, but I can tell you I've had all kinds of weird and unpredictable issues when I had a PCV on my last 10.

Until I removed my PCV, I had random cut outs, sometimes only on right turns, or in other cases low power until I cycled the bike on and off again. I'd try removing it and making sure it's not somehow adding to the issue.
That is more a firmware issue with the PCV which I documented on the forums here in depth and on my website.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-07-2019, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks for all the replies guys. I managed to snag an ECU from a local. Turns out the ecu from an ABS to a non ABS bike is the exact same. The problem still persisted even after swapping ECU’s. My tuner, all my Kawasaki buddies, and myself are absolutely stumped. There must be some wires crossed somewhere or something?! I plan on tearing it apart this weekend to really look into the wiring. If you guys have any other ideas, absolutely anything would be beneficial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in