Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Help! FI Calibration ‘No Response From ECU’

Gen 4: 2011-15 
8K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  brstefanovic 
#1 ·
I’m trying to get my laptop and bike talking.

FI Calibration tool is installed correctly, cable drivers installed correctly, ports selected correctly.

When I try to read data from the ECU it thinks for a few seconds then says ‘no response from ECU’.

My PC is a 32 bit, Windows 10. Only USB port I have is a USB 3.0.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
1. If USB-COM adapter drivers are installed correctly (and adapter or cable are attached) then you see COM port number under Ports (Windows Device Manager).

2. In Kawasaki FI Tool. Set menu>RS232 set port number to match with Windows port number.

#6 ·
First I would test with XP laptop. Run laptop with charger disconnected (it can disturb port signals).
Next cable test. Kawasaki ECU interface is simple serial port with 3 wires (0-5V levels), shorting Tx and Rx pins, it should pass loopback test (google: serial port loopback test). This should narrow down PC issues.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone. I have enlisted a friend to load windows XP on to an old laptop. Will then try again.

FYI I tried on another laptop running Windows 8, 64 bit. Had no luck as the driver would install but was not able to be found when the cable was plugged in.

Any other advice is welcome in case XP doesn’t work...

#9 ·
I'm using Windows 10, 64-bit with no issue. I made my own cable and had to download the driver from the manufacturers site and install manually. If you are using the Kawasaki cable, then make sure you are using the driver KRT provides, and not the Windows plug and play driver. Good Luck.

#11 ·
Update: I tried again using a laptop loaded with Windows XP, and another using Windows 7 32 bit. In both cases I could install the driver, match the ports but when I clicked ‘Read’ I get the error message ‘No response from ECU’.

I feel like there must be something simple that is wrong. When I compare the male cable to the female plug on the bike I see that only two pins actually make contact. See pictures, does the cable look right? There are only 3 pins compared to the 4 on the bike, and only 2 match!

What am I missing, it’s driving me crazy!

Attachments

#14 ·
Looks like you are missing wires. The interface cable uses a power, ground, and two transmission lines for the communication. There are actually two grounds shown on the schematic but they are tied together on most harnesses. The race kit manual has the schematic and shows the wire colors. If you can't find it through a search, PM me your email and I'll send you the pdf.

I used this thread to make my own - https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f28/diy-kawasaki-interface-cable-119674-2.html

There is good info explaining what is needed and it can probably help diagnose what you have.

#17 ·
oh, ok, the race ECU allows all the shit to be changed without woolich or any other 3rd party hardware correct? never had that setup which is why I asked. From what I understand that setup also means no headlights etc so no street use ever, is that also correct? sorry I know you are trying to get your shit working but I like learning too so saw the opportunity to do just that. thanks and best luck getting that shit working.

#19 ·
[/QUOTE]oh, ok, the race ECU allows all the shit to be changed without woolich or any other 3rd party hardware correct? never had that setup which is why I asked. From what I understand that setup also means no headlights etc so no street use ever, is that also correct?[/QUOTE]

That’s right, race ecu and loom is exclusively for track as you lose all your lights. I’ve never used Woolich as my bikes are race bikes and will never be on the road.

#20 ·
The part about your bikes never being used on the track was probably not entirely relevant to my particular question, especially since part of it was establishing that lights etc. wouldn't work, ie. it's the whole 2+2=4....in other words, apparent from the other part of the q n a...thank you for responding though, now I understand why kawi sells a USB cable for so damn much money

#21 ·
I stripped back the plug and can confirm definitely only 3 wires. Disappointing as this was supplied directly from a Kawasaki dealer to the previous owner and never opened until I got it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.