Gen 2: 2006-2007 Heat issues? Too much radiant heat while riding. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Heat issues? Too much radiant heat while riding.

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone else is having this issue or if it just my bike. I have alway rode GSXRs and just migrated to the ZX-10R. While riding this thing gives off ridiculous amounts of heat around the leg and seat area. Is this a normal thing on these bikes with the undertail exhausts? I have already exhaust wrapped the pipes under the tail but it didn't really help much. I think I'm going to wrap the headers next but until then it is almost too uncomfortable to ride. My GSXRs never had this problem so I'm wondering if it is a design issue or just my bike being a retard.

Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited by maki9389; 06-23-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 03:44 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Any undertail exhaust will be hotter than a side exhaust. R1, Ducati, etc. that said, the ZX-10 is better than most as far as suppressing the heat. I never had any issues with mine. But the only thing you can really do is put some different cans on it that are less restrictive so it flows some more air. Carbon cans will be much cooler. You can punch the catalytic converter out so it doesn't hold the heat in the pipe. But not much else you can do without converting it to a side exhaust. But its pretty normal.

Oh, and if you're wearing shorts on the bike, you're a moron. Make sure you wear long pants to insulate your legs among other things. Most people who complain about the heat on their legs are riding with them exposed to it. :headshake

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 6 Old 06-23-2012, 03:57 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Getting aftermarket exhaust help a ton, was riding a buddies 09 R1 for a while and would get ass crack sweat from the exhaust. After he put aftermarket exhaust, slip on's, and decat pipe the bike was so much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-24-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I don't normally ride with shorts I just happened to jump on and run to the store the other day and noticed how abnormally hot it was. It has Carbon 2 Bros on it now. I just got done wrapping the headers and undertail section in header wrap so lets see if that helps. Next step will be to punch out the Cat and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by maki9389; 06-30-2012 at 10:19 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-30-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Ok so after the header wrap the heat has gone down quite a bit. Big help. So for those that have issues with the bike giving off a lot of heat while riding, I had great success at just using header wrap on the header and under tail section. Now if only it wasn't 104 in ATL...
post #6 of 6 Old 06-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Does not drive into smoke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Oh, and if you're [...], you're a moron.
Oh no, you didn't...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in