Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Going from a 190/55 tire to a 190/60

Old School: <-2004 
3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Twistedsocal13 
#1 ·
Hi all
I'm new to the forum and I need a little advice please
I need a new rear tire on my 05. I have been offered a good one but it's a 190/60-17, I understand the original size is a 190/55
So it is safe and possible to go to a 190/60? I do track days so I'm a bit weary of changing the size unless it's safe to do so.
Thank you

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

#2 ·
It will be fine. I have done 180/55 to 180/60 on my Zx6r and it worked just as good if not better than the 55 size. It will be a bit taller in the rear so make sure it does not rub a closely positioned fender (hugger). Pay attention to stability on track. If it feels twitchy just lower your fork tubes 5mm. You probably won't have to do that but it is an option.

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to the party Lex!

So, you're a bit off with your thinking on this. Prophet is pretty accurate with his info, but not really specific enough either, so let me chime in.

You have a 2005 Gen 1. That model came standard with a 190/50 rear tire. The '06 and up models switched to the 190/55. Putting a 190/55 on your bike is a quick upgrade, but it can and will hit the rear hugger on the early models if the rear axle is forward. Most people remove the rear hugger or space it up to get the clearance needed for that taller tire. Putting on a 190/60 will be worse. Unless you're racing it, going to a 190/60 will not be needed.

You can run the 190/60, of course, especially since you have access to it for your trackdays. But you'll have more clearance issues to deal with along with a pretty big geometry change that will effect your handling. The bike will be more twitchy in steering. If you're not prepared to deal with that, then I'd say just upgrade to the 190/55 or stick with that if it's already on the bike. Because the taller tire increases the rake, you'd have to raise up the front some to account for that. So I think what Prophet meant by his post of "lowering the fork tubes" meant lowering them in the triple tree which raises the front overall. That can be misinterpreted, so pay attention to what you're doing of ask for help trackside if needed.

#5 ·
yeah was about to say I am sure the gen 1 came with a 190/50 not a 55 although I have run everything from a 190/50 to a 190/55 and even a 200/55 Q3 (I liked how stable the bike was) with zero clearance issues. Granted I had a custom carbon hugger on the rear and actually now that I think about it, did notice some wear on the inside of it when I was parting it out. Still shouldn't be an issue with any I just mentioned but never messed with a 190 60

#6 ·
I run a 200/55 normally, and last weekend i ran a 200/60. The 60 is almost 20mm taller than the 55.

The 190/60 is about the same height as the 200/55.

I DO recommend chassis adjustment, such as raising the forks up to the bottom of the tube caps in the triples, I have also added a few mm at the rear.

If i run the 60 again, ill need to take out 5-6mm from the rear.

#8 ·
To add to what others are saying:

Going to a larger rear tire will take away trail and flatten the swingarm angle. From a riding stand point this means the bike will generally be easier to turn on entry but can cause the bike to drive wide on exit or affect rear tire grip. Changing to a bigger tire isnt a big deal as long as you understand the effect and how to account for any issues IF they should arise from changing the tire.

#10 ·
Hi all
I just wanted to update on this post incase anyone searches for the same answers.
I went to a 190/60 rear, the issues that can of this were; the rear hugger rubbed badly so that had to be removed and the clearance between the swingarm is probably about 3mm so little stones can get flicked up and scratch the swingarm, this can be countered by adjusting the rear wheel back but if the chain is already tight then it needs a new chain to do this, personally I don't think it's worth going to a 190/60 for these reasons, I think I will be going back down to a 55 when these tyres are done.
Thanks again for the info

#11 ·
I have run a 200/60 on my gen one and run that 200/60 on my gen 5 as a norm. If your hugger is rubbing just put some spacers under them where it bolts down, if your worried bout the swingarm getting gravel scratches don't ride the bike. And the chain deal, well do what u gotta do on a gen 1 and drop a tooth in the front. That will make the chain work just fine. But yeah a 190/55 has a better profile if your running a 190 vs a 200

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.