Gen 5 Oil Pressure Light after oil change - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-25-2018, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Gen 5 Oil Pressure Light after oil change

WTF! Scared the crap out of me, the red light didn't go away and she sounded a little more diesel than normal for about 10 seconds. I think usually it's like a second maybe two. What did I do wrong this time?

Turned the bike off, shook it side to side a little, and started it back up and the light stayed on. Immediately shut it off again.

I tilted the bike to the left to where clip on was about a foot and a half from ground, and then again to the right. Stood it back up and started it again. Light went out, and it sounded like it's normally obnoxious diesel engine noise.

I don't prefill my filter, never have on any of my bikes. Difference this time is along with my rear stand, I put my front stand on while draining from drain bolt, and then removed front stand while draining from filter. Temps were chilly so I took a little longer to let the oil drip out from both.

Anyone have comforting thoughts, or did I just F my bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-25-2018, 03:27 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I've had the same problem. I think you'll find this is a common problem across the gens. I tried various things, prefilling the filter, burping the filter, but the best solution I've found is to refill the oil BEFORE refitting the new filter and no, the oil wont run out!

I do this on the car now as well and no, I dont believe you've done any damage

post #3 of 13 Old 11-25-2018, 04:11 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
imo, always pre-fill the filter, even just halfway a couple times and let the oil soak into the filter material and you won't spill any oil.

try to do a warm oil change, ie with motor warm/hot, drain, fill. Cold oil takes longer to get up to pressure, and all that stuff means you'll have more wear at startup. I live in california now but if i ever did an oil change in the winter on my bikes this was surely a consideration.

If you go too long, you can always burp the filter. loosen it a bit till oil burps out and tighten. Its messy, but gets the job done, but helps to have a partner to shut off the bike after a few seconds so you don't have long oil-less runtimes.

Your bike is fine (if its showing oil pressure now). Whats done is done. When i swapped motors in my racebike last may because of a blown trans, the newer fresher motor sat too long and the sump had dried so even with a fresh oil change it ran dry for a little while, until we burped the filter. Runs hard as ever in my past few races so although not desirable, had no negative effects.
Bikeman1000 likes this.

AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-25-2018, 08:56 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I've always drained the oil and filled it back up before removing the filter. Never preoiled the filter (even though it never hurts to prefilled). Never had a problem with the oil light coming on.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-26-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the advice all. I'll try filling the oil up before removing the filter next time. I can't stop thinking about the damage I might have done, especially since I think it was more like 20 seconds.

Is there anything I can do to see if there is any damage aside from taking the engine apart?

Really bummed out now, and am considering selling the bike for a loss with all the mods I have on it.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-27-2018, 03:29 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsNStuff View Post
Thanks for the advice all. I'll try filling the oil up before removing the filter next time. I can't stop thinking about the damage I might have done, especially since I think it was more like 20 seconds.

Is there anything I can do to see if there is any damage aside from taking the engine apart?

Really bummed out now, and am considering selling the bike for a loss with all the mods I have on it.
I think you'll find that many of us on here have had exactly the same experience as you, I know I have. Take your bike for a decent run and put your mind at rest. I'm sure it will run perfectly as before

Also, you can remove the filter before refilling, just don't replace it till after
GearsNStuff likes this.

post #7 of 13 Old 11-30-2018, 02:47 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
if you did any damage it will show in your next oil change. you will see above average metal in the oil. clean the drain pan really well before doing the next change and then when pouring back into old bottles take your time. I like to turn the bike over a couple quick times without letting it start when I change my oil to get everything out. I always add a half quart prior to doing so. and I always prefill my filter. have never had the light come on at all. just put some oil in a measuring cup in the microwave for about 15 seconds prior to filling the filter. helps it to absorb faster. don't worry it's safe. no Sparks and no metal and such a short time won't hurt anything or anyone
post #8 of 13 Old 11-30-2018, 05:01 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quit scaring the dude, guys. :) There is no damage to your engine, you can be sure of that, as it didn't run nearly long enough to even begin to cause damage. Idling it like that is no big deal. Happened to me a few times. Yes, the engine was a bit starved of oil and what you heard was valve train noise. Yes, in the future definitely pre-fill the oil filter and you'll be fine. I don't understand how changing oil before filter is less messy so I personally wouldn't do that. To get out of your current situation, simply unscrew the filter just enough until oil starts to come out so it pushes out the air in the filter--then tighten back up. It will come out pretty slowly so don't worry that it will come gushing out. If that doesn't work, do it while the engine is running. Again, oil will come out slowly so don't worry. Then after it's all running, add a bit of oil back to make sure it's at the right level. If you can't undo the filter--get the filter socket from autozone for $5. I forget what size it's supposed to be, as they have several options.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-01-2018, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Oh hell yeah brother! We gonna get this sh*t done! 200mph GPS indicated again!!!

Last edited by GearsNStuff; 12-01-2018 at 04:47 AM.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-02-2018, 10:35 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I didn't read most of the other replys but I can say with most certainty that what you experienced was your engine binding and fighting back due to low oil viscosity or whatever. Never ever change engine oil cold ever it's very important you do not do that! Some will say its fine but I can assure you it's a bad idea!! When an engine sits all the oil (most) falls to the oil pan..... When an engine is hot everything is coated and the oil is hot and flows better and faster. Even when putting fresh oil in a hot engine the oil immediately becomes warm . I'm a mechanic and I work for a dealership with a bunch of other mechanics and we have all had this discussion many times and quite a few of us have made the mistake of changing oil cold and heard the same type of noise you did and our conclusions was the same . You absolutely did damage to your engine, probably not bad enough to cause any issues right now but definitely did some at a microscopic level at least and it can add up if you continue to make that situation happen. I hope this helps but you. Be safe
Bikeman1000 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in